The Student Room Group

How do I increase my chances of success in Year 11?

Hello everyone,

At the moment, I am currently in Year 10 and in the process of completing my mocks. Some of my mocks have gone alright although according to most of my teachers, they're not that important in the sense that they don't determine which tier we'll be entered for in year 11 nor will they use these results to determine our predicted grades. They're important in the sense that we get used to the idea of doing exams in controlled conditions and help us determine our strengths and weaknesses.

Anyway, to get straight to the point, how do I increase my chances of success in year 11? I value all feedback and thanks in advance for anyone who responds!

FLM3026 :smile:
Reply 1
im a year 9 student and im wondering the same question. however, i will be doing my math this year and mock result for maths is A*. all u have to do is try to cover all topics, and take time. good luck though,cause i will still have 2 years to go!
Listen kid! Spend your time wisely. This is technically your last year of freedom as the proceeding year will be dominated with work-load and post exam stress. Do what you can in this year. Revise early, be ahead of the game if you want. You have the chance to endeavor onto other academic practises (I self taught myself French and Programming from Year 9 to 10 as I had no work/homework and basically relaxed) YEAR 11 is 10x strenuous to year 10 so be wise with your time. Good luck kid and all the best! dm IF YOU need help :smile:
I'm in year 11 and my exams are in 2-3 months time, and honestly start revising from the start of the year whenever you get chance! Start revising now and keep any notes or however you revise for later too. I only just started my serious revision and it was such a mistake because there is so much to remember in sciences alone. But it can be fun, don't think of it as a hassle! I bought a set of coloured biro pens and a sketchbook and I find it best to make mindmaps for each topic (as I'm a visual learner I can sort-of see where each fact goes in my mind in a test because of the colours). However I really don't find cue cards useful, but it's all personal preference! Good luck in your future mocks and exams! (Also don't stress if you get below a target or what you want, look where you made errors and remember that doing extra practise questions [or fake mocks which you can get on here and I would think your teachers would not mind marking] will help you with answering the questions how the exam board want you to!)
Original post by Oblivion99
Listen kid! Spend your time wisely. This is technically your last year of freedom as the proceeding year will be dominated with work-load and post exam stress. Do what you can in this year. Revise early, be ahead of the game if you want. You have the chance to endeavor onto other academic practises (I self taught myself French and Programming from Year 9 to 10 as I had no work/homework and basically relaxed) YEAR 11 is 10x strenuous to year 10 so be wise with your time. Good luck kid and all the best! dm IF YOU need help :smile:

Freedom?? In year 10?? I've spent the last week working 3:30-10 or so on either homework or (mostly) controlled assessment. True, I have a deadline tomorrow for coursework but I'd have been doing homework which I have now neglected to get my coursework done and now the homework will need to be done at the weekend or early next week. I wouldn't call that free. The only time off this week I've had is 5:30-7:45 yesterday evening for a rehearsal for a drama show I'm doing. I wish I had no work/homework!
Reply 5
now that i have realized that i am lucky. my friends all have 12 gcse to do in year 11 but i will only have 10, as i will be doing maths and statistic this year. im quite far a head of my friend in some gcse too, so hope i wont have too much pressure...
Reply 6
Original post by Oblivion99

Thanks a lot! Your feedback is greatly appreciated! :smile:

I've been quite interested in astronomy at the moment and I've been reading an introductory guide about this and I'm intending on producing a summary once I've completed it and continue to embark on learning more about such a topic! In fact, I almost chose it as a GCSE however I didn't want to drop geography.

I've adopted some small habits that'll hopefully make a difference to my academic performance and they include some of the following:

- Read at least 5 pages from a book on a daily basis (in this case, it's that book on astronomy I've been going on about) and once I've finished it, produce a summary on it.
- Do some mental maths for 5 minutes everyday (I've got a mental maths app on my tablet that's quite quick and challenging but hopefully with enough time and practice, it'll be a piece o' cake!)

I'm also a fellow autodidact myself! If anything, I'm one of those people who learns quicker and more effectively just by watching and reading tutorials on the internet and reading about the topic or subject.

Again, thanks!
FLM3026
Reply 7
Just keep revising each topic through and through, anything you not sure just ask your teacher or find out and be 100% ready for your exams, also look on the internet for past papers or something to try and get used to the questions that are coming up in your exams
Reply 8
Original post by Nam Bui
im a year 9 student and im wondering the same question. however, i will be doing my math this year and mock result for maths is A*. all u have to do is try to cover all topics, and take time. good luck though,cause i will still have 2 years to go!

Thanks!

I think it's just mostly down to improving your time management and revision techniques and skills, right?

Wow! Well done on your mock result and keep up the exceptional work! Goes without saying, the more you put in, the most you get out of it!

Good luck on your maths exam this year! You'll *ace* it!
Reply 9
Original post by ikhan94
Just keep revising each topic through and through, anything you not sure just ask your teacher or find out and be 100% ready for your exams, also look on the internet for past papers or something to try and get used to the questions that are coming up in your exams

Thanks for your tips!

In fact one of my weaknesses is the ability to interpret exam questions. I am able to revise and know the facts that I need for upcoming tests but the questions and how they are worded seem to act as an immense hindrance. However, I am starting to use past papers more often and often look at the mark schemes to see what sort of answers examiners expect.

On the note of asking teachers for clarification, that is also something I've just started to adopt but it's just a matter of just keeping up that habit!

Reply 10
Original post by Nam Bui
now that i have realized that i am lucky. my friends all have 12 gcse to do in year 11 but i will only have 10, as i will be doing maths and statistic this year. im quite far a head of my friend in some gcse too, so hope i wont have too much pressure...

Good luck with your GCSEs this year! I'm sure you'll do incredibly well. With the right mindset and attitude, anything is possible!

I doubt you'll have *a lot* of pressure, considering you mentioned that you're ahead of most of your peers, provided that you consistently refresh your knowledge on various subjects. In essence, I think you'll feel less pressure compared to some of your peers so consider yourself lucky!

Again, good luck!
Reply 11
Original post by funkytwix
I'm in year 11 and my exams are in 2-3 months time, and honestly start revising from the start of the year whenever you get chance! Start revising now and keep any notes or however you revise for later too. I only just started my serious revision and it was such a mistake because there is so much to remember in sciences alone. But it can be fun, don't think of it as a hassle! I bought a set of coloured biro pens and a sketchbook and I find it best to make mindmaps for each topic (as I'm a visual learner I can sort-of see where each fact goes in my mind in a test because of the colours). However I really don't find cue cards useful, but it's all personal preference! Good luck in your future mocks and exams! (Also don't stress if you get below a target or what you want, look where you made errors and remember that doing extra practise questions [or fake mocks which you can get on here and I would think your teachers would not mind marking] will help you with answering the questions how the exam board want you to!)

Good luck with your exams in May/June time! I'm sure you'll do great :smile: These tips and advice you've given me are incredibly helpful and the fact that you know such things proves you have *much* better chances of ensuring success when your exams arrive! :smile:

Don't fret too much about starting your revision later than you expected. Just pace yourself and don't get overwhelmed by the workload that you're presented with. With enough dedication and determination, you'll get there. Anything is possible :smile:

Thanks for your tips, they have been immensely helpful and I've definitely taken them on board!

Quick Reply

Latest