The Student Room Group

should i drop my placement year?

Im currently in my first year of a 4 yr course and theres a placement yr in the third year. we have to find the placements ourseleves but the uni provides support and stuff.
Im at uni of Bath and i think they have a pretty good placement programe but i was wondering how difficult it really is to secure a placement and if its worth it if i dont really have many connections or garunteed placements in mind.
The deadline for dropping it is coming up kinda soon so i was wondering if i should drop it and just do a 3 year course?
Reply 1
In my opinion, I don't think you should drop it. You will be getting help from your uni so I think that kind of gives you a boost even if you are primarily looking for the placement yourself. As far as having connections, I doubt that would affect you as much as you think but at the end of the day it is your decision. From all I've read though, I would recommend a placement year.
If you think finding a placement will be tough, finding a job without that work experience will be harder.

I wouldn’t drop it.
Original post by sylvaticia
Im currently in my first year of a 4 yr course and theres a placement yr in the third year. we have to find the placements ourseleves but the uni provides support and stuff.
Im at uni of Bath and i think they have a pretty good placement programe but i was wondering how difficult it really is to secure a placement and if its worth it if i dont really have many connections or garunteed placements in mind.
The deadline for dropping it is coming up kinda soon so i was wondering if i should drop it and just do a 3 year course?
Hey there 😀

It would not be honest to say that securing a placement is not a competitive and demanding process. However, I can assure you that the experience gained from a placement will prove invaluable once you graduate. Additionally, I have heard numerous stories of individuals being offered permanent graduate positions after completing their placements because employers were highly impressed with their performance. In today's job market, having work experience is paramount in setting yourself apart.

Furthermore, each year sees an increase in the number of placement offers available, providing a wide range of options to apply for and thus increasing your chances of success. Moreover, if your university offers exceptional support, this will further enhance your prospects. Therefore, I strongly advise against giving up on the idea of a placement.

As you enter your second year, I recommend immediately exploring placement opportunities and submitting applications, as these offers typically go live as early as September and are advertised for several months. Starting early will significantly improve your chances of securing a placement.

I hope it was helpful 💪 Feel free to reach out if you have any questions 😉 You can also chat with me or other students directly through The Ambassador Platform.

Best of luck,

Julia
Psychology student
De Montfort University

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending