The Student Room Group

Changes in education system/maths ITT availability for next year

Hi,

Just signed up as it seemed a good place to bounce ideas and questions around.

So i've made the decision to move into teaching. I've been working for 3 years since graduating, and I'm applying for Secondary Maths ITT. I'm hoping to get a salaried place as i'm not eligible for bursaries and don't want to add to previous debt. One issue is I have a 3rd class degree (hence not qualifying for bursaries).

Despite the above i've had promising feedback from one provider RE: a non-funded PGCE, and another provider RE: a (very much unconfirmed) potential salaried place. There's also another provider i've been directed
to RE: a salaried place but am yet to hear back from. If salaried applications go south and all I have is the PGCE route, i'm considering taking the year to strengthen my application, earn money, and apply again next year for salaried places.

One concern I have is if places for Secondary Maths ITT (salaried or otherwise) somehow become more difficult to secure between now and the next intake. It seems unlikely, but it's one of the few potential negatives I can think of if I were to go down this route.

Any teachers/trainees/NQTs with info or thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance.
Original post by goala
Hi,

So i've made the decision to move into teaching. I've been working for 3 years since graduating, and I'm applying for Secondary Maths ITT. I'm hoping to get a salaried place as i'm not eligible for bursaries and don't want to add to previous debt. One issue is I have a 3rd class degree (hence not qualifying for bursaries).

Despite the above i've had promising feedback from one provider RE: a non-funded PGCE, and another provider RE: a (very much unconfirmed) potential salaried place. There's also another provider i've been directed
to RE: a salaried place but am yet to hear back from. If salaried applications go south and all I have is the PGCE route, i'm considering taking the year to strengthen my application, earn money, and apply again next year for salaried places.

One concern I have is if places for Secondary Maths ITT (salaried or otherwise) somehow become more difficult to secure between now and the next intake. It seems unlikely, but it's one of the few potential negatives I can think of if I were to go down this route.

Thanks in advance.

Not sure if this is helpful to you but you can check the availability of salaried places here (it's updated regularly):

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/initial-teacher-training-itt-recruitment-controls/updates-to-recruitment-controls-for-itt-2016-to-2017

There have been a few threads on here about how much the funding for salaried places has been cut for 2016 entry and people's wages not being enough to live on. I would be worried about funding being cut further if waiting for 2017 entry.
Original post by goala
Hi,

Thanks in advance.

Because Maths is such a shortage subject, having a 3rd class degree doesn't automatically exclude you from a bursary. You can still get £9000 if you do a PGCE if you have a B or higher in Maths or Physics A-Level. See here:
https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/bursaries-and-funding

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending