The Student Room Group

How can I motivate myself to read

I do English lit and history and I need to read set texts , secondary sources and history books. How can I start doing this before it is too late because I know doing a lot of reading will push my grades even further.
By picking up a book? :tongue:

With History, when you get a book just read the chapters that are relevant to what you are doing in class so you're doing it bit by bit. That way, you get to keep your sanity. Use those small postit note tab things to keep a note of key/importance areas of the book.
Reply 2
Original post by Legendary Quest
By picking up a book? :tongue:

With History, when you get a book just read the chapters that are relevant to what you are doing in class so you're doing it bit by bit. That way, you get to keep your sanity. Use those small postit note tab things to make key/importance areas of the book.

It's hard to keep focus though lol
Original post by OddFuturez
It's hard to keep focus though lol

To be fair, I haven't actually read a whole book for History :tongue: My teacher gives us relevant excerpts so that's all I use. She does give us quite a lot which makes things so much easier for us :biggrin:

Maybe photocopy a chapter so you don't have the whole book and then highlight as you go along? And then keep repeating this? Environment-conscious people will get angry at you for wasting paper but oh well lol
Reply 5
To be fair, I haven't actually read a whole book for History :tongue: My teacher gives us relevant excerpts so that's all I use. She does give us quite a lot which makes things so much easier for us :biggrin:

Maybe photocopy a chapter so you don't have the whole book and then highlight as you go along? And then keep repeating this? Environment-conscious people will get angry at you for wasting paper but oh well lol

Thanks, my teacher sucks and history is AIDS lol
Reply 6
I do English lit and history and I need to read set texts , secondary sources and history books. How can I start doing this before it is too late because I know doing a lot of reading will push my grades even further.

i wouldn't worry to much but setting an end goal ( university or getting a good grade) may help you. also set a date in your calendar spending a day looking at texts while your phone is switched off
Thanks, my teacher sucks and history is AIDS lol

haha, History can be annoying at times but it gets better once you find a technique that works for you :smile:
Reply 8
haha, History can be annoying at times but it gets better once you find a technique that works for you :smile:

Hopefully I'll find it but it's taking long enough 😂
Setting a time (before bed, in the bath) to read, and sticking to it. And actually being interested (or convincing yourself that you are) really helps. If you need to annotate/make notes, keep them all in one place
What are you reading for Lit besides the actual source texts? My greatest issue with Lit is that there's no textbook for me to memorise.

Quick Reply

Latest