The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sunni money
Ladies and gentlemen, I bid you goodnight.

Haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NickLCFC
So you don't think that 60,000,000+ people (from a selection of just 9 countries) finding ISIS to be 'favourable' is worrying? Not to mention the vast amount of people who couldn't decide if they found ISIS unfavourable or not?

When you include all the other countries, you'd probably end up at about 150,000,000 people finding ISIS 'favourable' and that's just a LOW estimate.

I think that 60,000,000 people is an uncertain figure, given that the data was extrapolated from a sample.

I think that seeing ISIS as favourable is not worrying, especially given that 1. these people live in the middle of nowhere and probably aren't even aware of many of ISIL's atrocities 2. ISIS is anti-USA, which is responsible for a lot of problems in their countries and 3. ISIS is fighting against Assad, who is hated by many.

I think that if 60,000,000 people really did support ISIS, we would know for certain that it was true in the news.

Finally, I think the terrorists have succeeded in scaring you into hating Islam because three people blew themselves up in a pretty small attack in Brussels.
Original post by Farm_Ecology
Right, because personal anecdotal experience of a tiny cross section of people is really more valuable that global surveys and statistics..

Global surveys and statistics, which by the way don't even quote how many people they actually interviewed.
Stop acting like 60,000,000 in just those few countries is just a small minority of people. It may be small percentage-wise, but a number that high is pretty alarming considering this is ISIS we're talking about. Maybe they're not technically supporters and maybe they don't share the same extremist views but they know actually who ISIS are, what they do and what they stand for. Having 60,000,000+ people 'favouring' them (in just that selection of countries) is worrying.

He's been very very good in dodging the fact he has been demonstrated that millions upon millions of muslims have extremist views.

He's clutched onto semantic games of 'favourable' vs support, tried to say that those who favour suicide bombing aren't sharing the same views as ISIS and attempted to dismiss the whole lot by calling the survey small!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Slipandsquirm
OK. That's a very funny form of 'less than 1% are extremist muslims'

Some (read up to 1 in 4) muslims in middle eastern and Northern African think it justifiable to kill civilians with bombs.

Not sure how it doesn't show that, like ISIS, they support suicide bombing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

They think that suicide bombing is sometimes justified. That doesn't mean that they support suicide bombing.

There are certain CONDITIONS in which they think that suicide bombing is right.
Original post by Frank Underwood
Seeing something as good is not supporting them.

These people are the people who have suffered from American intervention and Assad's warcrimes as a result of the Syrian conflict. That's why they may support ISIS, not to mention some of these people live in the middle of nowhere and aren't even aware of ISIL's atrocities.

majority of muslims on that survey have had no interference from america or assad.
Original post by Reformed
majority of muslims on that survey have had no interference from america or assad.

They don't have to have been interfered directly by them to hate them.
I think that 60,000,000 people is an uncertain figure, given that the data was extrapolated from a sample.

I think that seeing ISIS as favourable is not worrying, especially given that 1. these people live in the middle of nowhere and probably aren't even aware of many of ISIL's atrocities 2. ISIS is anti-USA, which is responsible for a lot of problems in their countries and 3. ISIS is fighting against Assad, who is hated by many.

I think that if 60,000,000 people really did support ISIS, we would know for certain that it was true in the news.

Finally, I think the terrorists have succeeded in scaring you into hating Islam because three people blew themselves up in a pretty small attack in Brussels.

1) Didn't we already go through this? I posted their methodology report and the margin of error for each country was between 3.0-5.0%.

2) You're obviously not going to change your mind that people finding ISIS 'favourable' isn't an issue to you. That's fine. Feel free to wallow in your BS explanations.

3) Terrorists haven't changed my opinions on Islam. I've always openly criticised the ideology.
1) Didn't we already go through this? I posted their methodology report and the margin of error for each country was between 3.0-5.0%.

2) You're obviously not going to change your mind that people finding ISIS 'favourable' isn't an issue to you. That's fine. Feel free to wallow in your BS explanations.

3) Terrorists haven't changed my opinions on Islam. I've always openly criticised the ideology.

And this folks is why terrorism still occurs - because it works. You have successfully been traumatised into hating Islam, which is exactly what the terrorists want to do.
A terrible shame. Completely needless suffering and death.

Why Belgium? Disenfranchised Muslim men who are seeking a stable identity, most likely, of which there are many in Belgium. To them, ISIS is a thrilling adventure, something which gives them absolute certainty and an absolute identity.
They think that suicide bombing is sometimes justified. That doesn't mean that they support suicide bombing.

There are certain CONDITIONS in which they think that suicide bombing is right.

What conditions? 'Defend Islam'? That can be many ways. Can you name just one that would be different to what ISIS see as the correct conditions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
They don't have to have been interfered directly by them to hate them.

youre apology for preference for IS was due to 'american and intervention and assad war crimes'

is this another back-track from you?

why would a somali be bothered about a syrian? are they bothered about zimbabwe or north korea?
What conditions? 'Defend Islam'? That can be many ways. Can you name just one that would be different to what ISIS see as the correct conditions?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You don't seem to understand.

"defending Islam" is open to interpretation, ISIS see defending Islam as oppressing free speech by attacking westerners, meanwhile some Muslims may think "defending Islam" as keeping quiet and staying away from criticism - thereby showing that Islam can be peaceful and tolerant.
Original post by Reformed
youre apology for preference for IS was due to 'american and intervention and assad war crimes'

is this another back-track from you?

why would a somali be bothered about a syrian? are they bothered about zimbabwe or north korea?

I literally read this three times and I'm not sure what you're getting at.
And this folks is why terrorism still occurs - because it works. You have successfully been traumatised into hating Islam, which is exactly what the terrorists want to do.

islam created these people and inspired them, so its an inevitable consequence. if you want people to like islam - why dont you try to reform it, make it better and try and make it provide something positive to the world as opposed to this (instead of living in self-imposed denial)
(edited 8 years ago)
You don't seem to understand.

"defending Islam" is open to interpretation, ISIS see defending Islam as oppressing free speech by attacking westerners, meanwhile some Muslims may think "defending Islam" as keeping quiet and staying away from criticism - thereby showing that Islam can be peaceful and tolerant.

You can't answer the question, can you?

I certainly can't.

One way to defend agsinst this finding is to appeal to the vague notion of defending Islam. Perhaps they had justifiable reasons to support suicide bombing?

But I cannot think of even one hypothetical example of defending Islam with suicide bombing that is at all different from terrorism.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My Dad was working today in the European Quarter in Brussels. (Close to the centre.) He's now walked back to his hotel a few miles. The streets are quiet he says, but thousands walking home or to friends. Lots of emergency, police and military vehicles racing around and numerous helicopters but absolutely no aircraft of any other kind. (Government has stopped all flights over the city.) Mobiles are intermittently back on.

He says people at work were dazed and shocked and desperate for news, which has been slowly building. There are reports of many raids across the city going round by rumour, but authorities not commenting on most. Friends were also getting messages about more raids in Paris and also Germany.

Everyone there devastated but he says there's a wave of friendliness going around. People stop in the street to check strangers are feeling OK. People are offering accommodation to those trapped unable to get home. People are giving blood. Shops are handing out bottled water to people feeling bad.
Original post by viddy9
A terrible shame. Completely needless suffering and death.

Why Belgium? Disenfranchised Muslim men who are seeking a stable identity, most likely, of which there are many in Belgium. To them, ISIS is a thrilling adventure, something which gives them absolute certainty and an absolute identity.

many muslim men who ironically were either given asylum or allowed into belgium to escape a miserable life in their islamic homelands. the fallout is that genuine needy asulym seekers now face suspicion due to acts of islamically inspired losers such as these 3 men

I certainly can't.

One way to defend agsinst this finding is to appeal to the vague notion of defending Islam. Perhaps they had justifiable reasons to support suicide bombing?

But I cannot think of even one hypothetical example of defending Islam with suicide bombing that is at all different from terrorism.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I just told you one of the conditions -_-

I certainly can't.

Posted from TSR Mobile

of course apologists for islamist ideology like him cannot offer an sane answer - because there isnt one. the islamic doctinre that demands all muslims to violently 'defend' islam has caused muslims to be at war with all their neighbours almost continually for 1300 years - the ideology he is defending and IS use creates attrocities like this in the 21st century

Latest

Trending

Trending