The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Stop being mean to Frank! omg

@Frank Underwood its okay, just ignore these nasty trolls :smile:
Original post by Slipandsquirm
This thread is still being driven by the smart ass? The one that saw significant percentage of muslims agree with suicide bombing and favouring ISIS and performed gymnastics to say that extremist muslims are less than 1%?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep

He's also the one who claims ISIS aren't that much of a threat:biggrin:
Original post by Frank Underwood
Y

Rejecting Islam, a foreign culture,

Islam is a faith not a culture:biggrin:

But given you don't know what 'right wing' means I'm not surprised by this error
Original post by Multiculturalism

Thief is crying "Stop thief!". :smile:
Original post by Multiculturalism

Frank is trying to defend indefensible positions

in particular, he would like to have us non-Muslims decide on which is the "correct" interpretation of Islam (which of course we cannot do). In the process, he is randomly accusing people of supporting ISIS, of being right-wing nationalists, idiots and other unpleasant definitions etc etc

I'm afraid that if there is someone here trolling, he should rather look at a mirror rather than at us.

best
All I saw was a survey in which some Muslims were asked how they viewed ISIS, and also whether suicide bombing is justified in the defence of Islam.

Both of which showed that the vast majority of Muslims are decent people, and of the small amount that do think ISIS is good are not saying that they would join ISIS or commit a suicide attack..
no one disputes the fact that a majority of Muslims does not support ISIS, and that yes, a majority of Muslims is also composed of normal, decent people

however, would someone who finds that ISIS is "good" report suspicious activities by "fellow Muslims" which could lead to ISIS attacks ? very unlikely. And this is a crucial point, if we want to eliminate terrorism
All I saw was a survey in which some Muslims were asked how they viewed ISIS, and also whether suicide bombing is justified in the defence of Islam.

Both of which showed that the vast majority of Muslims are decent people, and of the small amount that do think ISIS is good are not saying that they would join ISIS or commit a suicide attack.

Find me a survey which says that millions of Muslims worldwide would willingly join ISIS or commit a suicide attack and I will change my mind. You can have a view without taking action on it.

You have a nack for not addressing points.

Do more than 1% of muslims hold extremist views?

(I'm not that a quarter of Egyptians can be called a small amount)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Slipandsquirm
You have a nack for not addressing points.

Do more than 1% of muslims hold extremist views?

(I'm not that a quarter of Egyptians can be called a small amount)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope, all I see is a survey of an unknown number of people suggesting that more than 1% of Muslims hold ONE extremist view subject to unspecified conditions - which has been extrapolated to fit a larger population.

I want to know how many people were actually surveyed.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Lady Comstock
So to clarify: it is implicitly criticising believers when you criticise the religion as a whole, but not when you criticise specific things? That seems like an arbitrary distinction to be honest.

Criticising one specific thing is far less likely to be offensive to Muslims than criticising Islam as a whole, which amounts essentially to criticising everything that Islam is.
Original post by mariachi
Hi Planta

I have been trying to explain this to Frank in umpteen posts : it is not up to us non-Muslims to decide which interpretation of Islam is correct, and which is not

Muslims have been discussing this for 1400 years, and will most likely take another 1400 years (at least) before reaching any firm decision

this does not mean that we are supporting ISIS : quite to the contrary, we most decidedly oppose it

but this simple point seems to be too difficult to understand

best

You know interpretation :ahee::ahee::ahee:

Redirect yourself to Muhammads last sermon where he eloquently simplifies the principles of war for you.
There isn't anything to interpret here.
Posted from TSR Mobile
I think many people here are forgetting that lies can be built on statistics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Your attitudes towards Islam are right-wing, that doesn't mean you are right-wing, you can be left-wing with majorly left-wing views and some right-wing views and vice-versa. I'm not calling you right-wing.

Right-wing tenets consists of isolationism and nationalism.

Rejecting Islam, a foreign culture, is expressive of those two tenets.

Don't get confused here, I'm not saying you're right-wing, but your views on Islam are right wing.

It's not automatically right wing to criticise a religion though. Or it's text, or even it's followers. There are centre and left wing atheists who do it. I count myself amongst them.
Original post by thunder_chunky
It's not automatically right wing to criticise a religion though. Or it's text, or even it's followers. There are centre and left wing atheists who do it. I count myself amongst them.

You're rejecting Muslim culture and the Islamic faith, telling us that it is "incompatible with western culture".

That is right-wing, in every sense of the definition.

From wikipedia:

"The phrase far right, by contrast, is used to describe those who favor an absolutist government, which uses the power of the state to support the dominant ethnic group or religion and often to criminalize other ethnic groups or religions."

You are supporting the dominant ethnic groups and religions by criticising Islam - that would label you as 'far right' in this specific, sole regard. So if this is considered 'far right', you are certainly within the right-spectrum by being so critical and skeptical of Islam.

How many times can you deny the same thing in 24 hours, I wonder?
Original post by missfats
You know interpretation :ahee::ahee::ahee:

Redirect yourself to Muhammads last sermon where he eloquently simplifies the principles of war for you.
There isn't anything to interpret here.
Posted from TSR Mobile
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farewell_Sermon

"various versions of the Sermon have been published"...

by the way, Ibn Ishaq's version of the sermon seems to be the most comprehensive one (more comprehensive than Muslim, Abu Dawud etc), but I know that many Muslims don't particularly appreciate Ibn Ishaq... also, this quote reported by him would seem a bit dodgy ("Treat women well, for they are [like] domestic animals (‘awānin) with you and do not possess anything for themselves"). But there are two different translations for this passage...

Al-Jahiz's version seems also quite comprehensive (but wasn't he a dangerous Mutazili ? )

problems, problems...

best
(edited 8 years ago)

you are certainly within the right-spectrum by being so critical and skeptical of Islam.

being critical and skeptical of Islam is "right wing" ?

you always learn something new

best
You are supporting the dominant ethnic groups and religions by criticising Islam
want to watch us criticising Christianity ?

you only have to ask...
It's very strange how the two suicide bombers had criminal pasts.

Islamic State always present this view of themselves as pious religious warriors, but every member we have learned about, these suicide bombers, Jihadi John are not pious scholars or intelligent people who had great prospects in life, but losers, people who are socially alienated who know in their heart they have no way to succeed in mainstream society.
You're rejecting Muslim culture and the Islamic faith, telling us that it is "incompatible with western culture".

That is right-wing, in every sense of the definition.

From wikipedia:

"The phrase far right, by contrast, is used to describe those who favor an absolutist government, which uses the power of the state to support the dominant ethnic group or religion and often to criminalize other ethnic groups or religions."

You are supporting the dominant ethnic groups and religions by criticising Islam - that would label you as 'far right' in this specific, sole regard. So if this is considered 'far right', you are certainly within the right-spectrum by being so critical and skeptical of Islam.

How many times can you deny the same thing in 24 hours, I wonder?

Except I am not using that absolute. I am saying that it needs to change, not that it can never change. Christianity isn't perfect either, but it is somewhat better than Islam. Of course, as an atheist I would prefer it if none of it existed but that isn't likely. So your point is moot.

It is not exclusively right wing to dismiss or to challenge a religion based on logic and current events. I don't care how many times you say it, it doesn't make it any more true.
Original post by mariachi
want to watch us criticising Christianity ?

you only have to ask...

Praise the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ!
For any Christian who are feeling aroused, celebrate your Lord...

https://youtu.be/j8ZF_R_j0OY

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by thunder_chunky
Christianity isn't perfect either, but it is somewhat better than Islam.
I entirely agree.

Christianity has improved dramatically in the last couple of decades, by the way (doesn't mean it's true, either, of course)

best
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending