The Student Room Group

Geography at UCL or Durham?!

Hi,I can't choose between which uni to go to, so any input from you guys would be great!
I've got offers from both unis, AAA for UCL and A*AA for Durham. The problem is I have to firm UCL so I am guaranteed accommodation so I can't insure it but then that means if I make the grades I'm going to UCL not Durham.

I know I'll really enjoy the social side of life in London but I went on an open day to Durham and college life their seems great. However I am worried it'll cost way too much in London.

Also, the course seems much better at Durham and the teaching looks better too. But I think it'll be easier for me to find a job after uni in London.

Any opinions and advice will be gratefully accepted as I really can't make a choice right now!

If anyone has studied, or is study at UCL or Durham, help would be awesome!
(edited 8 years ago)
UCL! Durham can't compare.
Reply 2
Original post by Terminator01
UCL! Durham can't compare.

Why?!
Original post by Deon Chung
Why?!

Uni reputation and employment prospects are in favor for UCL. Teaching quality will likely be better on UCLs side as well because UCL has superior research and lecturers.. Durham is a good university, but UCL is one of the top in the world. Durham is also prestigious but barely anyone outside of UK knows about Durham. You can also be in LONDON!! what is London compared to Durham??? i don't see why you are having a hard time making a decision.
Reply 4
Uni reputation and employment prospects are in favor for UCL. Teaching quality will likely be better on UCLs side as well because UCL has superior research and lecturers.. Durham is a good university, but UCL is one of the top in the world. Durham is also prestigious but barely anyone outside of UK knows about Durham. You can also be in LONDON!! what is London compared to Durham??? i don't see why you are having a hard time making a decision.

From the open days I've been to, teaching looks way better at Durham and also lots of people have been unsatisfied with the quality of teaching at UCL, all the stats online show its really low! Plus I'm put off with the high costs of London and getting crappy accommodation
From the open days I've been to, teaching looks way better at Durham and also lots of people have been unsatisfied with the quality of teaching at UCL, all the stats online show its really low! Plus I'm put off with the high costs of London and getting crappy accommodation

Ahh! accommodation can be a drag. In that case go to Durham, you will still get a very good job.
Reply 7
Hi,I can't choose between which uni to go to, so any input from you guys would be great!
I've got offers from both unis, AAA for UCL and A*AA for Durham. The problem is I have to firm UCL so I am guaranteed accommodation so I can't insure it but then that means if I make the grades I'm going to UCL not Durham.

I know I'll really enjoy the social side of life in London but I went on an open day to Durham and college life their seems great. However I am worried it'll cost way too much in London.

Also, the course seems much better at Durham and the teaching looks better too. But I think it'll be easier for me to find a job after uni in London.

Any opinions and advice will be gratefully accepted as I really can't make a choice right now!

If you live in London you get a higher student loan to cover the costs
Reply 8

QS World Rankings puts Durham 5th in the world (UCL is 8th). This is based on academic reputation, employer reputation, and research impact. What evidence do you have for UCL being better, as you say it is?
Original post by ombtom
QS World Rankings puts Durham 5th in the world (UCL is 8th). This is based on academic reputation, employer reputation, and research impact. What evidence do you have for UCL being better, as you say it is?

What evidence do you have to support this? you need to take into account the OVERALL league table with combined result, that's all that matters.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending