The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Frank Underwood
Islam is the most discriminated alongside western culture.

!!
Trust me, people can get warnings for less.

You would know -- someone like you can only survive by knowing a few tricks about how best to censor your opponents, incapable as you are of actually winning on merit.

Unfortunately for you, I'm a pretty good pretend-lawyer. :h:
Original post by TheArtofProtest
To be fair Hydeman, it was probably Mariachi because if you can see from the above, he takes offence at the term "idiot".
no, it wasn't me, of course

in practice, I am just shamefully discriminating in favour of fully fledged, authentic "idiots". When I see the label applied with good reason, I let it pass. But I wouldn't use it, personally

Hey, nobody's perfect ...
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Does Hinduism call for the stoning of homosexuals and the murder of apostates? I'm a Hindu and I can tell you that the concept of apostasy doesn't exist in Hinduism because it's progressive enough to believe in religious pluralism.

Christianity, fair enough, it does mention certain things like you have mentioned. I'll give you that. There are countries that follow Islam and take some of their rules literally. Look at Saudi Arabia for yourself. Believes atheists to be terrorists, Hindus and Jews to be devil worshippers. Have stoned and whipped people. Have crucified teenagers for speaking about human rights. This is an Islamic country which takes Islam very seriously.

Can you think of a Christian country that does that?

The brutality in other countries is less to do with the faith Islam itself and more to do with corruption within the government, it does consist of people following Islam very strictly as well. Similar corruption is what drives ISIS, I'm not denying that they do follow Islam very strictly, but it's not the only factor - and therefore I think its unfair to blame all of Islam for the corruption of a smaller group of people relative to those causing the corruption.
(edited 8 years ago)
The brutality in other countries is less to do with the faith Islam itself and more to do with corruption within the government, it does consist of people following Islam very strictly as well. Similar corruption is what drives ISIS, I'm not denying that they do follow Islam very strictly, but it's not the only factor - and therefore I think its unfair to blame all of Islam for the corruption of a smaller group of people relative to those causing the corruption.

You've had countless other people tell you the same thing as me.

Why can't it sink that to you that it's possible to like a person but not their faith?
I pray for the Muslims who are facing daily racist attacks as a result of this :frown:
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
You've had countless other people tell you the same thing as me.

Why can't it sink that to you that it's possible to like a person but not their faith?

You think I don't know that? I despise all religion, i think it is rude and pretentious to go around preaching to everyone that their god is right and your god is wrong, and that you should do x y and z because of some ancient holy scripture written thousands of years ago. But I keep my mouth shut, because hating on them for what evidently derived from their childhood (from being raised by religious parents) or living in a predominantly religious country where almost everyone is religious, is not a good way to go about things. One side of my grandparents are religious, some of my friends are religious. Please don't tell me that it hasn't sunk in, I tolerate everyone so long as they respect my beliefs, that there is no god in the form of any of these religious depictions.

But back onto Islam specifically, you cannot single out Islam as the sole causer of these issues. One possible example is Rezgui, who killed 38 tourists on a beach in Tunisia. Numerous reports on him said that he was not a strict follower of Islam, he was reportedly radicalised by the fall of Gadaffi, he was also high on cocaine during his assault, reportedly, which is against Islam. These two reports can only suggest that Islam is not the sole driver of terrorism and corruption, but that conflict and other factors contribute - such factors are not present within the Western Islamic communities.
Original post by mariachi
no, it wasn't me, of course

in practice, I am just shamefully discriminating in favour of fully fledged, authentic "idiots". When I see the label applied with good reason, I let it pass. But I wouldn't use it, personally

Hey, nobody's perfect ...

Authentic idiots? And I'm sure there's an idiot science to determine that? Some chain of narrations for the idiots can really weak..

... I'm yet to see a compilation of Sahih idiots

Posted from TSR Mobile
So, back to square one :

-we can criticise, and even hate Islam (however, good arguments and sound criticism are much better than blind hate)

-Muslims are just normal people. Some good, some bad, most in between. It is deeply wrong to discriminate them. Any Muslim is just responsible for his/her actions. In our legal order, there is no provision for "collective guilt"

Best
completely wrong

you can criticise Islam and oppose it just like you can criticise and oppose Communism (or Nazism, or Scientology, or, for what matters, Liberalism or Catholicism , or Veganism etc)

ideologies can and should be criticised and blamed, if they advocate behaviour and actions which, in your opinion, would be negative for certain categories of people and for society as a whole

you can fight violent, abhorrent "sacred texts" by exposing them, showing how they can inspire people to commit crimes, even if (and especially so) if you believe there is absolutely no "superior truth" embodied in them

with regard to religions, we could e.g. remember that "most evil persons are capable of committing horrible crimes, but to make good people commit horrible crimes, you need religion"

I would add also "or ideologies" to the above quote. For these reasons, I think that we should all criticise and oppose Islam (at least, until a serious reform is undertaken and completed)

best

Yes, Islam can be criticised, but only theologically. You cannot say "OMG how brutal it is" about text which is written more then 1400 years ago. You cannot blame it. But you can blame those who incite people using such text. Muslim terrorists are criminals, murderers. And they should be considered as an organized criminal groups. It means that first of all should be found and punished their "godfathers". Dozens of crimes were committed by Muslim terrorists in the West. Who besides direct perpetrators was punished? If you start a war (and I suppose that today the world is in war with Muslim terrorism) you at the least should know who is your enemy. You should be able to name it. It's neither Islam and nor antique scripts. It's people.
Original post by chemting
I'm sure there's an idiot science to determine that?
few workable idiotmeters have been developed until now. Most are simple variations on IQ tests e.g. http://www.gotoquiz.com/the_idiot_meter

I' m afraid that idiotology, as a science, is still in its infancy. Main problem : the true experts (the idiots) are not coming up with many bright ideas

Original post by chemting
I'm yet to see a compilation of Sahih idiots
harsh, but true

best
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by admonit
Yes, Islam can be criticised, but only theologically. You cannot say "OMG how brutal it is" about text which is written more then 1400 years ago. You cannot blame it. But you can blame those who incite people using such text. Muslim terrorists are criminals, murderers. And they should be considered as an organized criminal groups. It means that first of all should be found and punished their "godfathers". Dozens of crimes were committed by Muslim terrorists in the West. Who besides direct perpetrators was punished? If you start a war (and I suppose that today the world is in war with Muslim terrorism) you at the least should know who is your enemy. You should be able to name it. It's neither Islam and nor antique scripts. It's people.
The Quran/ahadith may be antique scripts, but Islam is not at all an antique religion. It is very much alive and active.

People are reading and re-reading the "antique scripts", and these writings encourage them, inspire them, even oblige them to act (if they want to avoid eternal hellfire/damnation)

So, criticising the "antique scripts" is essential. You show them to be morally disastrous, negative for society, and even internally contradictory. This is what we would call "opposing Islam".

so : the police have to catch criminals, their enemy is anyone who breaks the law. Including Muslim terrorists

we (as students, and citizens in general) direct our efforts towards the texts. We read them, we criticise them, we expose the negative features of the society advocated in those texts. We don't run after Muslim (or non-Muslim) criminals.

We may of course also expose criminal preachers inciting towards violence and terrorism, we may also "fight" against particularly heinous interpretations of the texts, suggest "better" interpretations etc etc that's always value added

best
Get the Fudge out of muslim countries and you will find peace
Original post by zubz91
Get the Fudge out of muslim countries and you will find peace

I hear ISIS have a good plan for peace...
Islam is not the sole driver of terrorism and corruption, .
well, one should never give up hope

we are actually getting somewhere
Original post by The Epicurean
I hear ISIS have a good plan for peace...

ISIS have essentially killed themselves - they are fighting wars on three fronts and an ideological war against democracy, they pose a current immediate threat to Syria and Iraq and other countries, but in terms of completely taking over any countries, they have a very low chance.
ISIS have essentially killed themselves - they are fighting wars on three fronts and an ideological war against democracy, they pose a current immediate threat to Syria and Iraq and other countries, but in terms of completely taking over any countries, they have a very low chance.

We are not talking about ISIS in Syria. The person I quoted said we will have peace once we leave the Middle East. As long as there exists sympathisers with ISIS and with the Islamist ideology in general, we are going to continue to have terrorist attacks on Western territory. Whether we have forces in the Middle East or not does not change the intentions of people with extremist interpretations of Islam.
The Quran/ahadith may be antique scripts, but Islam is not at all an antique religion. It is very much alive and active.

People make Islam alive and active. People, not the text.
People are reading and re-reading the "antique scripts", and these writings encourage them, inspire them, even oblige them to act (if they want to avoid eternal hellfire/damnation)

Ordinary believers usually don't do it, imams do. Do you know what imam preaches in the nearest to you mosque? I hear it every friday. It sounds like calls for war. Even In Saudi Arabia some imams periodically are punished. What do European authority to prevent it? I suppose - nothing: "Freedom of speech" and "freedom of religion". I would name it "Freedom of hate".
So, criticising the "antique scripts" is essential. You show them to be morally disastrous, negative for society, and even internally contradictory. This is what we would call "opposing Islam".

No, you show them nothing this way. They listen what their imams say. Read what Islamic sites say. And you know what they say. Your criticism they consider as insult to Islam.
we (as students, and citizens in general) direct our efforts towards the texts. We read them, we criticise them, we expose the negative features of the society advocated in those texts.

You can't beat professional theologian.
Original post by The Epicurean
We are not talking about ISIS in Syria. The person I quoted said we will have peace once we leave the Middle East. As long as there exists sympathisers with ISIS and with the Islamist ideology in general, we are going to continue to have terrorist attacks on Western territory. Whether we have forces in the Middle East or not does not change the intentions of people with extremist interpretations of Islam.

How can you agree with forces being in the Middleeast and bombing, then the westerners trying to create peace and telling ISIS to get the **** out. Why the hypocrisy?

Why don't we withdraw our forces for our country, for europe, for innocent civilians getting killed for no reason. just because our politicians have material interests in Syria and elsewhere?

The russians withdrew when the ISIS told them that we have 60,000 chechen ISIS soldiers waiting to infiltrate your country and bomb the **** out of you. The russians withdrew.

Why let it get to that stage before we come out ? if the western armies were not in Syria neither would the refugees becoming to Europe and neither would any bombings be happening?
Original post by zubz91
How can you agree with forces being in the Middleeast and bombing, then the westerners trying to create peace and telling ISIS to get the **** out. Why the hypocrisy?

Why don't we withdraw our forces for our country, for europe, for innocent civilians getting killed for no reason. just because our politicians have material interests in Syria and elsewhere?

The russians withdrew when the ISIS told them that we have 60,000 chechen ISIS soldiers waiting to infiltrate your country and bomb the **** out of you. The russians withdrew.

Why let it get to that stage before we come out ? if the western armies were not in Syria neither would the refugees becoming to Europe and neither would any bombings be happening?

Please point where I said I agree with our forces being in the Middle East or bombing the Middle East?

Terrorist attacks would still be happening whether we were in the Middle East or not. Just look at Indonesia. Indonesia is not in the Middle East bombing Syria and has no forces out in Syria, and yet they still had a terrorist attack.
Whether Russia bombs Syria or not, Chechens will continue to cause trouble for Russia.

Latest

Trending

Trending