The Student Room Group

Do you think these EC activities are enough?

Hi,
Reply 1
Hi,
I've been studying my AS levels, and I have been wanting to study medicine for a long while now. I have done the following activites
-St George's spring school
-Kings College K+ programme
-Volunteered as a teaching assistant
-Volunteered in helping little children to read
-Volunteered in a elderly centre for a few months
-Work experience- shadowing in a large Health Care centre

Do you think there's anything else that I'm lacking, that would help me stick out? In my personal statement I plan on talking about these things and explaining how they've inspired me to want to do medicine and such.
Thank you in advance! :smile:
Reply 2
I thought extra curricular was things like sports. This is work experience and voluntary work
Reply 3
This is all great stuff, keep it going. However ECs (as @SGHD26716 has mentioned) can also relate to things not directly related to Medicine/Healthcare, this could be sports, music, school societies and activities you've been involved in. But I wouldn't really say you're lacking anything as such, I've just suggested more ideas.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by RDB1826
This is all great stuff, keep it going. However ECs (as @SGHD26716 has mentioned) can also relate to things not directly related to Medicine/Healthcare, this could be sports, music, school societies and activities you've been involved in. But I wouldn't really say you're lacking anything as such, I've just suggested more ideas.

Alrighty thanks! I'll try and include other things like going to a youth club and going swimming too, if that would be useful in my personal statement. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by JubbuTheHutt
Alrighty thanks! I'll try and include other things like going to a youth club and going swimming too, if that would be useful in my personal statement. :smile:

Absolutely include those things, universities also like to have an insight as to what an applicant could contribute to the university (and it suggests you don't just study 24/7!)
Reply 6
Hi,
I've been studying my AS levels, and I have been wanting to study medicine for a long while now. I have done the following activites

Do you think there's anything else that I'm lacking, that would help me stick out? In my personal statement I plan on talking about these things and explaining how they've inspired me to want to do medicine and such.

How much time did you spend in the elderly centre and how long doing work experience?

Thanks
Reply 7
Hi,

That's more than enough in my opinion. Quality > Quantity. By the time you start writing your personal statement, you'll find that you'll have too much to talk about with a 4000-character limit. Choose a work experience/EC activity or two which you have learnt something about Medicine. Admissions tutors have emphasised that they rather read a personal statement which is detailed on the candidate's experience, than a long list of work experience/EC activities they have done.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending