The Student Room Group

extenuating circumstances

Hi, I was wondering if anybody has some insight.
Basically I want to apply for a post result EC at my university. Because I was pregnant, anemic and i gave birth shortly after the submission one of my courseworks.

I feel like my situation effected the quality of my coursework which resulted me in not passing that module.

I can apply for an EC, but I'm struggling to figure out what would be considered a valid/good reason for delaying to inform the university about my situation earlier.

Or what should be my approach?
Thanks
I don't doubt they would consider that the situation would be an EC but the issue is that since you are applying for it retrospectively unis have much less flexibility to accommodate that.

Why didn't you tell them at the time? The real reason may be at least a helpful start.
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
I don't doubt they would consider that the situation would be an EC but the issue is that since you are applying for it retrospectively unis have much less flexibility to accommodate that.

Why didn't you tell them at the time? The real reason may be at least a helpful start.

That's the issue. I don't think I have a good enough reason. I was just preoccupied with other modules and preparing for my newborn.
Original post by Anonymous
That's the issue. I don't think I have a good enough reason. I was just preoccupied with other modules and preparing for my newborn.

So you didn't tell your uni you were pregnant? Throughout the entire pregnancy?
Reply 4
So you didn't tell your uni you were pregnant? Throughout the entire pregnancy?

I only informed my personal tutor about the pregnancy and the due date.
I only informed my personal tutor about the pregnancy and the due date.

Did you personal tutor make any recommendations about extenuating circumstances? If not then you might have an angle there that you were not adequately signposted to that option possibly?
Reply 6
Did you personal tutor make any recommendations about extenuating circumstances? If not then you might have an angle there that you were not adequately signposted to that option possibly?

Is that considered a valid reason?
Reply 7
And no I didn't receive any recommendations
Is that considered a valid reason?

Who knows...in any event try applying for them ASAP now and see where it goes.
Reply 9
Not knowing/not being signposted is almost never considered a valid reason because despite the usefulness of AAs, the onus is always on the student to know this stuff and/or find it out.

At my institution, pregnancy by itself is not sufficient for mitigation, though the anaemia might be if you link it to actual symptoms and can provide medical evidence to this end. Applying for it retrospectively, post-result, would likely not change much at my institution.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending