The Student Room Group

Mitigation circumstances reason

Does sudden asthma attack on exam morning count as acceptable EC? I didn’t go to the GP the same day .
however, I also develop an ear infection possibly due to sneezing which caused headaches and jaw pain and I went to the GP regarding this issue a few days before the exam. I had mild asthma that day but I didn’t mention it to the doctor.
So if I go to the doctor tomorrow and let him know about my asthma, can I get an EC letter by Gp? And what are the chances of it getting accepted by uni.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What does your uni say about EC for medical reasons?
Reply 2
Original post by Surnia
What does your uni say about EC for medical reasons?

It says “serious worsening or acute episode of an ongoing disability, medical condition or mental health condition” is considered. Whereas, on other side, it also says “an ongoing disability, medical condition or mental health condition” as not considered. Btw my uni is UCL.
This is where I got the info from:
https://www.ucl.ac.uk/academic-manual/chapters/chapter-2-student-support-framework/2-short-term-illness-and-other-extenuating#2.5
Reply 3
Did you let the uni know in the day that you were ill?
Reply 4
Original post by Surnia

No ☹️
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous #1
It says “serious worsening or acute episode of an ongoing disability, medical condition or mental health condition” is considered. Whereas, on other side, it also says “an ongoing disability, medical condition or mental health condition” as not considered. Btw my uni is UCL.
This is where I got the info from:
https://www.ucl.ac.uk/academic-manual/chapters/chapter-2-student-support-framework/2-short-term-illness-and-other-extenuating#2.5

Is asthma attack extenuating circumstance according to the statements above in your opinion guys?!
Reply 6
Original post by Surnia

Isn’t it that ECs can be submitted within 5 working days of the assessment? And one should have visited their gp within 3 days of the assessment?
Reply 7
Isn’t it that ECs can be submitted within 5 working days of the assessment? And one should have visited their gp within 3 days of the assessment?

Anyone?
Reply 8
It's unlikely for several reasons: you didn't let them know; you didn't see a doctor; after-the-fact mitigation is traditionally much more difficult to have approved. Did you sit the exam? if you didn the likelihood is even worse: most places have a 'fit-to-sit' policy whereby the act of sitting the examination is a tacit agreement that you are well enough to sit without any mitigation etc.
Reply 9
Original post by gjd800
It's unlikely for several reasons: you didn't let them know; you didn't see a doctor; after-the-fact mitigation is traditionally much more difficult to have approved. Did you sit the exam? if you didn the likelihood is even worse: most places have a 'fit-to-sit' policy whereby the act of sitting the examination is a tacit agreement that you are well enough to sit without any mitigation etc.

I went to A & E two days after my exam as I didn’t get a GP appointment
Reply 10

Is an asthma attack part of your condition, ie do you have them anyway, or is it your condition worsening?

Thing is, you need evidence that you were seriously ill on the day. Did you try calling your GP on the day and give your name? Why did you sit the exam and why didn't you tell uni staff? How come you didn't go to A&E sooner? As above, taking the exam and then claiming EC is difficult to prove?
Reply 11

This alone won't be enough.
Reply 12
Original post by Surnia
Is an asthma attack part of your condition, ie do you have them anyway, or is it your condition worsening?

Thing is, you need evidence that you were seriously ill on the day. Did you try calling your GP on the day and give your name? Why did you sit the exam and why didn't you tell uni staff? How come you didn't go to A&E sooner? As above, taking the exam and then claiming EC is difficult to prove?

I haven’t taken the exam. I was seriously ill on the day and could not even go to the nearest pharmacy. Two days later I booked a GP appointment but they couldn’t take me on the day so I went to the nearest A & E.
I haven’t taken the exam. I was seriously ill on the day and could not even go to the nearest pharmacy. Two days later I booked a GP appointment but they couldn’t take me on the day so I went to the nearest A & E.

So you were ill but didn't tell your university that day. When did you eventually tell them?
Reply 14

But you obviously have email, if not a phone, so you should have contacted the uni on the day. And your GP? And gone to A&E, if it was that serious, with a friend?

Suggesting you can submit an EC several days after an event will be to give you a chance to get all the evidence together. All there is now is the fact that you missed an exam and nothing from that day to support your reason for missing it.

What has the uni said about it?
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Surnia
But you obviously have email, if not a phone, so you should have contacted the uni on the day. And your GP? And gone to A&E, if it was that serious, with a friend?

Suggesting you can submit an EC several days after an event will be to give you a chance to get all the evidence together. All there is now is the fact that you missed an exam and nothing from that day to support your reason for missing it.

What has the uni said about it?

Yes I should have contacted uni the same day. I don’t have friends that live nearby.
The uni policy states that an EC should be submitted within 5 working days and the evidence must be provided within 4 weeks.
The most I’m worried about is the reason. I’m does an asthma attack count as extenuating circumstance? Or the uni be like you get it in the UK in winters so you should have be aware of it.
Reply 16
Original post by ageshallnot
So you were ill but didn't tell your university that day. When did you eventually tell them?

I will submit EC with evidence today (it’s the 3rd day after exam).
Does sudden asthma attack on exam morning count as acceptable EC? I didn’t go to the GP the same day .
however, I also develop an ear infection possibly due to sneezing which caused headaches and jaw pain and I went to the GP regarding this issue a few days before the exam. I had mild asthma that day but I didn’t mention it to the doctor.
So if I go to the doctor tomorrow and let him know about my asthma, can I get an EC letter by Gp? And what are the chances of it getting accepted by uni.

I was just granted ECs due to an ongoing asthma flare up, but it started about 2 weeks before the exam and i had a sick note, gave screen shots of 2 drs appointments as well as an A&E report due to having to attend in that period.

Basically the more evidence you can give the more likely it will be accepted
I will submit EC with evidence today (it’s the 3rd day after exam).

You had an exam on Saturday?
Reply 19
Original post by ageshallnot
You had an exam on Saturday?

3rd working day

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending