The Student Room Group

M&S launches "burkini" range in UK to cater to muslim women

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mkap
i dont see why this is news, amazon have been selling these for time. theres loads of burkinis here in saudi from sports direct and stuff. even i have one, im not going to wear a bikini or swimsuit when i go swimming with my family and my dad and brothers are around.

You know you can get swimsuits that cover up your upper arms and go up to your knees?
I just have a few little thoughts on this (i have no right to really but i don't like being ignorant so...)
1) i don't see the problem cos like wear what you want to
2) what is the actual point of making it into like swin wear tho cos you may as well wear a normal one cos you would still get wet? :dontknow: would it also not be hard to swim in?
3) tbh it is nice that they make more covered things. Wouldn't wear that but if i did go swimming which i dont cos too self conscious it would be better to be more covered. if there is already covered stuff idk where it is so i apologise :getmecoat:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
You know you can get swimsuits that cover up your upper arms and go up to your knees?

yeah i know i used to have one of em a couple years back, ad wear that too but bought a burkini as it was the first thing i saw. im not saying theres anything wrong with wearing a bikini/swimsuit in front of family. its just not something i would do. :h:
Might as well just go swimming in yoir clothes, what's the point in this hideous outfit?
I feel that this is purely a business move and M&S don't care in the slightest about other cultures :h:
Won't be swapping my normal bikinis for this anytime soon :lol:
Errm...excuse me? What's even the issue in seeing that M&S has came out with such a costume for a group of women? People need to mind their own business. You don't like? Fine, fair enough, don't buy it. But if someone wants to cover themselves, let them. For God's sake! I'm all about women who don't want to cover themselves but damn stop with this hypocrisy! If a group of women wish to dress in a certain way, you have NO right to care and if M&S has thought about a minority in the UK, we should be happy that minorities aren't being cornered!

If you're someone who stand up for women's rights but then come here pass weird comments on women who wants to cover themselves or negative comments about M&S taking the initiative to produce certain type of clothing for a certain group of women, you're nothing but a hypocrite. Absolutely a joke!
Cant see the problem. If theres a demand for it they will sell and if not they will ditch it.
As to why not just wear your clothes, then id imagine these are made of lightweight material suitable for swimear and your normal clothes are not.

If it makes some muslim women feel comfortable and less self conscious, then surely thats a good thing?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by BrokenLife
Errm...excuse me? What's even the issue in seeing that M&S has came out with such a costume for a group of women? People need to mind their own business. You don't like? Fine, fair enough, don't buy it. But if someone wants to cover themselves, let them. For God's sake! I'm all about women who don't want to cover themselves but damn stop with this hypocrisy! If a group of women wish to dress in a certain way, you have NO right to care and if M&S has thought about a minority in the UK, we should be happy that minorities aren't being cornered!

If you're someone who stand up for women's rights but then come here pass weird comments on women who wants to cover themselves or negative comments about M&S taking the initiative to produce certain type of clothing for a certain group of women, you're nothing but a hypocrite. Absolutely a joke!

Lol calm down. No one is saying that Muslims don't have the right to cover themselves up, and most people here haven't made any negative comments. Read through the thread before going off on your social justice warrior rage
Im going to make one that goes see-through when it gets wet hehehe, but a delayed time of about 3
minutes......

Spoiler

Original post by KingBradly
Maybe they could launch a chastity belt range too!

It must be nice wearing that though. It basically says "all you other women wearing bikinis and swimsuits are whores who will burn in Hell, but I won't". What a lovely sentiment.

This sounds like a gross over generalisation, said to incite hatred. Unfortunately it is true to an extent, Muslim men will gang rape you and you brought it on yourself is the sentiment I get.

Again it sounds horrid, but Muslim majority countries actually enforce this. It is the consensus of Muslims all over the world and Europe.

Disclaimer;

"Ahh but I know a single Muslim who said he/she believes in equality of the sexes"....... don't care, not hear to debate with apologists, so don't quote me and expect a response. If you want to do something constructive go convince the other 99% of Muslims of the benefits of equality and the age of consent, or of consent in general.
Thank goodness you've arrived Batman.
It must be so uncomfortable and heavy.

inb4 someone drowns because of it.
thank you tony blair. thank you so much.
Original post by Foo.mp3
That's some ninja **** fam! :ninjagirl:

Reported to the Cultural Appropriation police! :woo:

Loool nigella Lawson of all people :mmm:
Reply 35
Original post by MildredMalone
I thought most muslim women were on benefits, would they be able to afford that?

im sure most muslim women can afford because they can save money because they're not drug dealers.

Lord dont ban me please :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 36
Original post by Dodgypirate
It must be so uncomfortable and heavy.

inb4 someone drowns because of it.

Lol it says lightweight.

Still wouldn't wear one though.
Reply 37
It looks like whale skin.
Reply 38
Original post by HAnwar

Still wouldn't wear one though.

You wear bikinis? :teehee:
To be fair, I've been looking for swim wear that doesn't show tits or ass for the longest time now - I may just give up and buy one of these.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending