The Student Room Group

The straight and narrow path to 12A*'s

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by Username3097486
Lol same size.
Is it just me hearing this bloody weather? xD. When I finally feel that I'm gaining willpower...the weather distracts me

Bright skies where I am haha :smile:

Try putting headphones in.

I'm listening to some Mozart right now haha. Quite peaceful and it makes me work harder lol :smile:
Original post by Sage25
Bright skies where I am haha :smile:

Try putting headphones in.

I'm listening to some Mozart right now haha. Quite peaceful and it makes me work harder lol :smile:

Cheers for the advice, will do :smile: May order some new notebooks too...I think I'm running out of space.
Reply 122
Cheers for the advice, will do :smile: May order some new notebooks too...I think I'm running out of space.

Yeah, I have 12 - one for each subject

I think I may have to join you in getting more haha :smile:
Cheers for that. Do you do AQA Comp sci by any chance?

I do AQA computer science. I was wondering what you got in both of your controlled assessments? I got 62 marks on both and I think it's out of 63.
Original post by jep456766
I do AQA computer science. I was wondering what you got in both of your controlled assessments? I got 62 marks on both and I think it's out of 63.

62...jesus christ...
Comp sci was my weakest subject. I got an E in them in year 10 but pulled them up to an A. 47 on both. The deadline is before May I think? I really want to hammer it at an A* grade, but focusing on revision for other subjects is also important.

May I ask...how did you get 62 on both?
Reply 125

I got 39 and 40 out of 45. So 79/90, which is on the border of A* (80 for an A* I believe)

EDIT: I do OCR Computer Science
62...jesus christ...
Comp sci was my weakest subject. I got an E in them in year 10 but pulled them up to an A. 47 on both. The deadline is before May I think? I really want to hammer it at an A* grade, but focusing on revision for other subjects is also important.

May I ask...how did you get 62 on both?

I have an interest for coding I guess haha. It took a bit of commitment but I guess its paid off now. I think I need 54 out off 83 to get an A* overall. Just general effort tbh.
How are you finding your theory revision btw?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Sage25
I have 25 haha

Shouldn't be too bad I guess lol :smile:

It shouldnt :smile: Lol What's your weakest and strongest subjects?
Reply 128
Original post by nisha.sri
It shouldnt :smile: Lol What's your weakest and strongest subjects?

Strongest - Maths, Physics, Chemistry

Weakest - RS

I love the sciences but RS and English Language really bore me

What about you? :smile:
I have an interest for coding I guess haha. It took a bit of commitment but I guess its paid off now. I think I need 54 out off 83 to get an A* overall. Just general effort tbh.
How are you finding your theory revision btw?

I find theory ok. Its really just facts that you have to remember, and a bit of simple maths. The programming aspect...eh not so much.

What revision sources are you using?
Original post by Sage25
Strongest - Maths, Physics, Chemistry

Weakest - RS

I love the sciences but RS and English Language really bore me

What about you? :smile:

My strongest subjects would be Chemistry, French, Psychology,Biology (only some units) and MathsWeakest: English Literature, Geography, Physics (But onlysome parts)
Reply 131
My strongest subjects would be Chemistry, French, Psychology,Biology (only some units) and MathsWeakest: English Literature, Geography, Physics (But onlysome parts)

What is Psychology like at GCSE? :smile:
Original post by Sage25
So, recently I have had my report back. On the whole it was pretty good and almost on par with my original predictions.

My Report Grades/Original Predictions:

Biology - A/A*
Business Studies - A*/A*
Chemistry - A*/A*
Computer Science - A/A
English Language - A*/A*
English Literature - A*/A*
Further Maths - A*/A*
Geography - A*/A*
German - A/A
Maths - A*/A*
Physics - A*/A*
Religious Studies - A/B

For my report I achieved 8A* and 4A
My original predictions were 9A*, 2A and a B

However, as I aspire to study Economics at the likes of Cambridge and Princeton, I am aiming for the very best grades at GCSE as well as A-level.

This means I want to change the 4 A's in my report to A*'s

I am documenting my revision each day for the easter break and most likely all the way through to my exams for my own reference and if possible to motivate others to revise. There are 7 weeks and 1 day until my first exam (Religious Studies - Unit 1), so I feel now is the right time to start revising older topics and familiarising myself with the specification of each subject again.

My revision contains two key components

1) Subject Specification
2) Past Papers

My revision guidelines

The Subject Notebook - I will be writing out the full specification of each subject in a notebook (All of the content which exam boards require us to know for the exam). Each notebook will be colour-coded to highlight: General Info, Important Info, Titles and Diagrams. This will be useful for revision closer to the exam period as everything will be there for reference

Past Papers - I have already printed all of the available past papers for each of my subjects. There are roughly 4-6 papers for each subject. I aim to complete all of them and if not all, then as many as possible. Getting to know the type of questions the exam board will ask as well as how to answer these questions will be vital as, after all, there are only so many questions which can be asked about the specification.

There are only two components of my revision however I feel they can provide me with good preparation for the exam as well as the knowledge and technique to achieve an A* in all of my subjects.

So, from here on in I will be documenting the revision I do each day to remind myself of the goal I am working towards and at the same time try to motivate others to revise and prepare for what is the culmination of two years of hard work.

Good luck with revision to all

Hieeeee! What exam board are you on for Geography. I'm on Edexcel B and there are very little revision resources and the revision guide is a mess. I'm predicted 3 A*s and 8 As.
Original post by Sage25
What is Psychology like at GCSE? :smile:

It’s quite easy actually but you have to memorise a lot ofcase studies. There are loads if you know those and key terms then you’ve gotan A*. Are you planning to study medicine? What are you’re a-levels and whatuni do you want to go to?
I find theory ok. Its really just facts that you have to remember, and a bit of simple maths. The programming aspect...eh not so much.

What revision sources are you using?

I have a really good teacher that gives us these amazing notes that literally cover everything. I just study them really.
I have a really good teacher that gives us these amazing notes that literally cover everything. I just study them really.

Lucky for you. We had the worst teacher known to mankind. He even gave us the WRONG controlled assessment tasks...hence the E grade
Luckily we got a new teacher in year 10. At least now i know what im doing
Reply 137
Original post by romansholiday
Hieeeee! What exam board are you on for Geography. I'm on Edexcel B and there are very little revision resources and the revision guide is a mess. I'm predicted 3 A*s and 8 As.

I am AQA Geography A unfortunately. Maybe consult your teacher for revision material or try and find the spec on the Edexcel website. Sorry :smile:
Reply 138
It’s quite easy actually but you have to memorise a lot ofcase studies. There are loads if you know those and key terms then you’ve gotan A*. Are you planning to study medicine? What are you’re a-levels and whatuni do you want to go to?

Yeah, I think it would be quite different. It might give you a break from your run of the mill subjects and typical paper questions. No, Economics but I do still like the thought of Medicine. Even though my heart is set on IB, Medicine is always in the back of my mind haha

My A-level choices are Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Economics and I plan to read Economics at Cambridge or Princeton. What about you? :smile:
Reply 139
Monday 28th March

Today - Finishing my write-up for today. I got through B2 and am nearing the end of B3. The sciences will prove to be very time-consuming. I plan to stop getting distracted by TSR and YouTube and actually work. Although today was somewhat productive, I feel I could have gotten more done if I didn't procrastinate and waste time

Tomorrow - Finishing off B3 and with that the Biology write-up - my first revision notebook. Moving on to Business Studies which I feel I will fully complete tomorrow. I may even move on to Chemistry if I'm working at full capacity. I am amping up my production tomorrow with an early 9am start and some black coffee :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest