The Student Room Group

A2 Kaiser to Fuhrer: Great Depression was responsible for mass Nazi movement 1929-32

Does anyone know what three factors I could write for this unit 6 essay please?
"The impact of the Great Depression was the prime reason for the emergence of the Nazis as a mass movement between 1929 and 1932"
1. Depression in US and collpase of stock exchange cause America to call in loans, Hit German economy.resulting in mass inemployment 33% or 6 million.
2. This made the government unpopular and weak as they didnt know what to do and made mistakes. it also made the Nazis appealing as they promised jobs and a stronger Germany.
3. Hindenberg thought he could control Hitler and invited him to be Vice Chancellor, Hitler got himself made Chancellor as he price of his support.
Hitler then went about consolidating his power.

Without the depression that sequence of events would not have happened.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
1. Depression in US and collpase of stock exchange cause America to call in loans, Hit German economy.resulting in mass inemployment 33% or 6 million.
2. This made the government unpopular and weak as they didnt know what to do and made mistakes. it also made the Nazis appealing as they promised jobs and a stronger Germany.
3. Hindenberg thought he could control Hitler and invited him to be Vice Chancellor, Hitler got himself made Chancellor as he price of his support.
Hitler then went about consolidating his power.

Without the depression that sequence of events would not have happened.

Thank you,

So you would say that GD was the underlying factor then?
Original post by Monty25dec
Thank you,

So you would say that GD was the underlying factor then?

It was a factor that maybe started a chain of events rolling, but there were many other factors which helped ensure Hitler came to power.

If Germany hadn't lost the war then there would have been no war reparations and Weimar might not have failed. Hitler would have tried to gain power anyway, but we dont know if he hadnt taken one opportunity, then he wouldnt have used another.

When you do your essay, then ofc pad it out wuth a few facts.
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
It was a factor that maybe started a chain of events rolling, but there were many other factors which helped ensure Hitler came to power.

If Germany hadn't lost the war then there would have been no war reparations and Weimar might not have failed. Hitler would have tried to gain power anyway, but we dont know if he hadnt taken one opportunity, then he wouldnt have used another.

When you do your essay, then ofc pad it out wuth a few facts.

Thanks so much, I literally didn't have a starting point- I hadn't considered the previous reparations before, but I suppose the GD almost created the climate conductive to political change.
Original post by Monty25dec
Thanks so much, I literally didn't have a starting point- I hadn't considered the previous reparations before, but I suppose the GD almost created the climate conductive to political change.

No worries its an interesting period.you cna get firther details here.
http://www.historyplace.com/worldwar2/riseofhitler/begins.htm
https://matisak.wordpress.com/2009/04/23/no-great-depression-no-hitler/
http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/history/mwh/germany/hitlerpowerrev1.shtml
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest