The Student Room Group

Past Papers

When would it be the ideal time to start past papers and what would be the best way to do them? learn the content, complete the paper, check the mark scheme and then try to remember the answers that you got wrong? Grade myself? Then do I just leave the past paper? And how am I meant to do it for subjects like English,geography and history which requires teachers to mark it and where there is no definite answer.
Ideal time to start past papers? I'm thinking 2 weeks before the exams
Reply 1
Why not start revision now?
Original post by B_9710
Why not start revision now?

By revision do you mean past papers? and I cannot, I have to do all subjects notes- computing and history takes long time too to make notes for
Original post by mygcserevision
By revision do you mean past papers? and I cannot, I have to do all subjects notes- computing and history takes long time too to make notes for

omg computing :colonhash:
how far you into your computing notes?
Original post by mygcserevision

You need to start past papers now - its too late now to make notes. When you fins areas you can't answer then that is the time to get back to your textbook/class notes.
Reply 5
Original post by Muttley79
You need to start past papers now - its too late now to make notes. When you fins areas you can't answer then that is the time to get back to your textbook/class notes.

I haven't started past papers yet i'm just going over the places i'm not good at and then spending time on them and do doing questions from all the past papers on that specific topic. Should I stop doing that and I revert to your method because it's too late?
Like rn
Reply 7
Original post by 0lut0
I haven't started past papers yet i'm just going over the places i'm not good at and then spending time on them and do doing questions from all the past papers on that specific topic. Should I stop doing that and I revert to your method because it's too late?

I think it's just that you shouldn't be making notes right now. I guess you just need to know the content and do exam questions and past papers on them. But don't waste your time making notes. That would've been useful if you had done it at the start of the year. Right now, your a month away from your exams. Good luck though.:smile:
Original post by Anmol_.
I think it's just that you shouldn't be making notes right now. I guess you just need to know the content and do exam questions and past papers on them. But don't waste your time making notes. That would've been useful if you had done it at the start of the year. Right now, your a month away from your exams. Good luck though.:smile:

Do you think class notes and past papers are sufficient enough for an A*.

E.g no new notes but doing 5 past papers for each unit?
Original post by Muttley79

Seriously? I was going to do the past papers like a the couple of days before the exams 😖

I'm still making my notes and then I have to read through then before i do the past papers, do you think this is a bad idea?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Username3097486
Do you think class notes and past papers are sufficient enough for an A*.

E.g no new notes but doing 5 past papers for each unit?

Don't you have revision guides for your subjects? If you do you can revise using that with your class notes. Past papers are the key to those top grades though! I think you should first test yourself by doing a past paper for each subject, that will then give you a good idea on which subject needs the most working on and you can revise the content in accordance to thatt.
Original post by ScienceFantatic
Seriously? I was going to do the past papers like a the couple of days before the exams 😖

I'm still making my notes and then I have to read through then before i do the past papers, do you think this is a bad idea?
im myself doing past papers only 2 weeks before the exams. At the moment I'm just doing past papers for maths. There is no point doing past papers now if you don't know the content.
For maths, English, and sciences our teachers have been giving us a past paper to complete over each holiday, and on other subjects we've done select questions from past papers throughout the year. If your teachers haven't been doing something similar and the only past papers you've seen were in the mocks, then I'd strongly recommend starting using them now.

Here's what I do when given a paper to complete:

Revise all content of that paper's topic (eg b1 b2 b3 for a biology paper) using your preferred revision method/methods (eg videos, revision cards, etc) - make sure to do active revision where you test yourself as you learn (eg using the questions in the revision guides or on bbc bitesize) rather than passive revision where you just read stuff but don't actually take it in.

My preferred method of revising a topic is to go through the revision guide and as i go along i create a revision card/cards summarising all relevant information on each page. If the topic is particularly hard then i also watch a video and make notes (making notes helps to embed the content of the video into your memory).

Next, do the past paper in timed conditions, in one sitting if at all possible.

Once you've completed the paper, mark it.

Now go over the marked paper and look at all of the questions you got wrong. Go back and revise on the things you got wrong, making sure that you now know the content. Do you know why you got them wrong? Will you get them right next time? Do practice questions, watch videos, etc, whatever you find necessary (as long as it's ACTIVE).

Now do another paper, mark it, etc etc. Repeat until you're getting top marks on each paper.

That's it! Obviously this is going to take some time, so spread out over however many days, but considering exams are drawing near remember that it's more important to cover all of the topics a bit, rather than just two or three on detail, so don't do this whole system for each topic of you don't have time, and ensure you spread out your revision amongst all subjects, with English, maths, and science taking priority.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Anmol_.
Don't you have revision guides for your subjects? If you do you can revise using that with your class notes. Past papers are the key to those top grades though! I think you should first test yourself by doing a past paper for each subject, that will then give you a good idea on which subject needs the most working on and you can revise the content in accordance to thatt.

Yes sorry I have revision guides for all subjects. But what I meant was if reading them and past papers is enough or if you have to condense the guides
Original post by ScienceFantatic

Yes - you need to do loads of past papers - our students were sent home with a couple from each teacher to do over Easter.
Original post by Username3097486
Yes sorry I have revision guides for all subjects. But what I meant was if reading them and past papers is enough or if you have to condense the guides

It would've been good if you had time to condense it and make notes, mind maps etc. but considering the time, I think you should just start learning the information and do past papers.

Quick Reply

Latest