The Student Room Group

all past papers in 3 months

My GCSEs are start in late April (26th) and I have an insane plan to do every single past paper that exists for every one of my subject. has anyone done this (and succeeded??!) and if so any advice would be massively appreciated. thanks!
Original post by Jude Maverick
My GCSEs are start in late April (26th) and I have an insane plan to do every single past paper that exists for every one of my subject. has anyone done this (and succeeded??!) and if so any advice would be massively appreciated. thanks!

i'm doing this rn asw 😭

I think if you can make a good plan as to which past papers you will cover on which days and also if you plan on marking the past papers and making sure you identify where you went wrong (so you can either add the questions you got wrong onto your notes/flashcards or highlight it so you can learn from it) then you will do it effectively.

It might also help, if you're struggling for motivation at any point, to switch up subjects and do a past paper for another subject - but try not to leave a past paper unfinished if you move onto another subject, so you don't get confused as to which ones you've completed and haven't completed.

Good luck!
Reply 3
Original post by *LifeHappens*
I think if you can make a good plan as to which past papers you will cover on which days and also if you plan on marking the past papers and making sure you identify where you went wrong (so you can either add the questions you got wrong onto your notes/flashcards or highlight it so you can learn from it) then you will do it effectively.

It might also help, if you're struggling for motivation at any point, to switch up subjects and do a past paper for another subject - but try not to leave a past paper unfinished if you move onto another subject, so you don't get confused as to which ones you've completed and haven't completed.

Good luck!

thank you so much for the advice! also just out of curiosity what would you say is a good way to revise for science (using past papers)?
Reply 4
Original post by thesimplestudent
i'm doing this rn asw 😭

good luck - you're not alone 🙂 my dm is open if you wanna chat
thank you so much for the advice! also just out of curiosity what would you say is a good way to revise for science (using past papers)?

No problem! For science, if you're doing last-minute revision or going through a really content-heavy topic, I'd say prioritise learning all the equations needed and your practicals as those are the questions that will almost 100% come up. For practicals, learn about the variables, equipment needed + why they are needed (for example, if you need to measure something, it's best to use a measuring cylinder rather than test tubes as they don't measure volume).

I always make sure I cover 3 main areas for revision: understanding (making sure I understand all the content), retrieval (making sure I can recall key points, practicals and equations) and application (which is basically doing past papers/exam-style questions from PMT and MME revise).
Reply 6

GCSEs have been around since 1988, so it's going to be tricky to do 35 years of past papers.

Bear in mind also that the GCSE syllabus changes periodically, so older papers might not cover things you need to know currently (and similarly might examine content that is no longer taught at GCSE level).
good luck - you're not alone 🙂 my dm is open if you wanna chat

TYSM

Quick Reply

Latest