The Student Room Group

Is the mark scheme wrong?

Capture.PNG
This is a screenshot of the edexcel physics specimen 8PH0/01 for the new syllabus. It is question 13 (a) and I did the same calculation as they show but I get 1.34*10^-6 instead of 1.34*10^-8 like they say it is. I resetted my calculator and used google calculator but still got the same answer so are they wrong?
Reply 1
Original post by grepole121
Capture.PNG
This is a screenshot of the edexcel physics specimen 8PH0/01 for the new syllabus. It is question 13 (a) and I did the same calculation as they show but I get 1.34*10^-6 instead of 1.34*10^-8 like they say it is. I resetted my calculator and used google calculator but still got the same answer so are they wrong?

mark scheme must be wrong. I got x10^-6 too :wink:
Could you post a SS of the question.
Capture.PNG

I am guessing you squared your radius and then converted by x10^-3, rather than squaring your radius once you've converted it.

But I haven't computed it, so I don't who is right. You're just that much of a factor out.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Vikingninja
Could you post a SS of the question.

Capture2.PNG
Reply 5
Original post by kingaaran
I am guessing you squared your radius and then converted by x10^-3, rather than squaring your radius once you've converted it.

But I haven't computed it, so I don't who is right. You're just that much of a factor out.
Posted from TSR Mobile

I converted it before squaring, and still got x10^-6
Capture2.PNG

I got ^-6 as well.
Original post by Kyx
I converted it before squaring, and still got x10^-6

Ah, then it's probably wrong - specimen mark schemes aren't checked as rigorously as the real ones and occasionally have mistakes :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest