The Student Room Group

A-Level Biology Mark Scheme "List Rule"

Hi,

I have recently seen the "3.1 Marking of Lists" point in the mark schemes for AQA A-Level Biology but I don't totally understand it.

If e.g. "give two ways" question, you make 3 points, two of which are mentioned on the mark scheme and gain you marks, but then the 3rd is not on the mark scheme (but is not an incorrect statement or a contradiction of the previous two, just not sufficient for a mark to be awarded), would you lose a mark?

Thanks
Original post by Angelofthesummer
Hi,

I have recently seen the "3.1 Marking of Lists" point in the mark schemes for AQA A-Level Biology but I don't totally understand it.

If e.g. "give two ways" question, you make 3 points, two of which are mentioned on the mark scheme and gain you marks, but then the 3rd is not on the mark scheme (but is not an incorrect statement or a contradiction of the previous two, just not sufficient for a mark to be awarded), would you lose a mark?

Thanks

No, you would not. The guidance says, "Each error / contradiction negates each correct response."

In your example, you say the third point "is not an incorrect statement or a contradiction of the previous two". Hence it does not negate a correct response.

They further emphasise this approach by saying, "responses considered to be neutral ... are not penalised".
Original post by DataVenia
No, you would not. The guidance says, "Each error / contradiction negates each correct response."

In your example, you say the third point "is not an incorrect statement or a contradiction of the previous two". Hence it does not negate a correct response.

They further emphasise this approach by saying, "responses considered to be neutral ... are not penalised".

Thank you for your response - I was just unsure as whether a statement counts as an "error" just when it isn't on the mark scheme (is not sufficient for a mark) or whether when it is actually just wrong.
Original post by Angelofthesummer
Thank you for your response - I was just unsure as whether a statement counts as an "error" just when it isn't on the mark scheme (is not sufficient for a mark) or whether when it is actually just wrong.

I think you're placing too much emphasis on the mark scheme itself. It is designed to show "the typical answer or answers which are expected" and to provide "extra information to help the examiner make his or her judgement and help to delineate what is acceptable or not worthy of credit". (My emphasis in both cases.)

If you look at a random mark scheme (for one of the types of questions covered by "3.1 Marking of lists"), you'll note that in the comments column it lists answers to accept (gain a mark), reject (lose a mark already gained) or ignore (no impact on the marks). However, these are merely "the typical answer or answers which are expected". If you provide an answer which is not mentioned on the mark scheme, then the examiner will use their judgement as to whether it it worthy of a mark, should result in the loss of a mark already gained, or have no impact.

Quick Reply

Latest