The Student Room Group

Bad at chemistry past papers?

I've finished my revision now and i am now attempting past papers for chem but ive noticed that i cant seem to answer many of the questions. even when i do, i end up gaining a mark out of 3/4. i dont know whether if i this is a sign of lack of knowledge or what. anyone have any tips to help tackle this- my confidence for chemistry is seriously dropping now.
Reply 1
Don't worry. Simple trick. Do past papers with the mark schemes (consult them after every question or completely if you cant do it). This will help you memorise the mark schemes and how marks are awarded (very important for exam technique) and will help you get through way more past papers. If you dont understand how they got the answer, check the textbook.

After a few past papers you should be able to start answering without using the mark scheme, so practise doing full papers and then marking them
Reply 2
alright ill give it a shot, thanks for the advice!
Original post by callphd
Don't worry. Simple trick. Do past papers with the mark schemes (consult them after every question or completely if you cant do it). This will help you memorise the mark schemes and how marks are awarded (very important for exam technique) and will help you get through way more past papers. If you dont understand how they got the answer, check the textbook.

After a few past papers you should be able to start answering without using the mark scheme, so practise doing full papers and then marking them
Original post by kimpo078
I've finished my revision now and i am now attempting past papers for chem but ive noticed that i cant seem to answer many of the questions. even when i do, i end up gaining a mark out of 3/4. i dont know whether if i this is a sign of lack of knowledge or what. anyone have any tips to help tackle this- my confidence for chemistry is seriously dropping now.

Heya!
I would recommend going through your answers using a mark scheme and identifying what went wrong and noting down how you can improve your answers for next time (make flashcards out of them!):h: If it helps, Study mind has lots of free chem resources if it helps!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest