The Student Room Group

year 9 stressed

Hi, so im in year9 about to take my mid years, all my teachers say these are the exam that shapes our options and coming out of y8 science and maths with a 5 in science and a 3 in maths (did get caught cheating so hard marks reduced tbf) im pretty worried, teavhers say i have great potential to get straight 9s, but am wasting it. I dont want to drop down sets or get bad options, but the things we are learing in lessons like science or maths are too hard to remeber/ catchup on. Not really maths but 100% science, i dont want to do bad in options/exams. Is there anything I can do??
Original post by Death_Hallo
Hi, so im in year9 about to take my mid years, all my teachers say these are the exam that shapes our options and coming out of y8 science and maths with a 5 in science and a 3 in maths (did get caught cheating so hard marks reduced tbf) im pretty worried, teavhers say i have great potential to get straight 9s, but am wasting it. I dont want to drop down sets or get bad options, but the things we are learing in lessons like science or maths are too hard to remeber/ catchup on. Not really maths but 100% science, i dont want to do bad in options/exams. Is there anything I can do??

about to take my mid years, all my teachers say these are the exam that shapes our options
As in they will determine your sets or which GCSE options you get to choose? The way they say it make it sound overdramatic. GCSEs are usually not the end of and be all.
From what I know, the KS3 exams would only determine the set you would be in next year. So long you do reasonably well in your tests, you should be able to secure a seat in the middle set or top set.
If anything, your A Level options and performance would be more important than your GCSEs in my opinion. Even then, it's not totally detrimental in the grand scheme of things in life. And in turn, life as a whole is very different to how you likely think it is.

coming out of y8 science and maths with a 5 in science and a 3 in maths
Well I wouldn't want to go below a 5 in your subjects (definitely nothing below a 5 for maths) if you want to go to 6th form, and ideally nothing below 7 if you want to get into a top end uni for STEM subjects. Getting 9s is ideal in any case.

but the things we are learing in lessons like science or maths are too hard to remeber/ catchup on. Not really maths but 100% science
Could it be the way they teach? Consider watching relevant YouTube videos on the topics that you are studying. Most decent videos on YouTube on the GCSE subject (need to be specific with your search terms), tend to explain things in a relatively strainghtforward manner. Free Science Lessons being a typical go to (even though I don't think they're that spectacular), although there are others.

The go to advice that I have for science subjects (be it GCSE, A Level, KS3 - at degree level it's slightly different), is to do as many past papers as you can. If you google for KS3 past papers, there are plenty of websites to download copies of the papers from. Steps:

Work through each paper under timed conditions

Look through the mark scheme and check for any answer you got wrong or anything less than full marks

Where you got the answer wrong, look at why you got them wrong and understand how you can get the extra marks

Redo those questions with the marks scheme closed, and review your answer against the mark scheme again

Repeat the above until you get the perfect answer

If you have problems understanding the mark scheme, talk to a teacher about it and see how you can improve

Other things that you can do:

Get a tutor - they really help

Use memorisation techniques such as mindmaps, diagrams/illustrations, mnemonics, clustering material, active recall (see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDbxPVn02VU), flash cards (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzCEJVtED0U, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVajQPuRmk8)

Study with a friend - the idea being for your friend to bounce ideas from and to also help you spot gaps in your learning

Buy revision guides - the condense the material in a format that's easier to digest

Get exam practice books - the more practice that you get, the easier it would be

Reply 2
Original post by Death_Hallo

tbh as a yr 9 I wouldnt tell you to stress because you literally have 3 yrs to go.
I'm currently in yr 11 and trust its not even bad and gcses are in a month , js don't overthink it and do maybe consistent revision up to gcses maybe 30min-1hr a day max and increase the time as you go into yr 10then 11
if u revise a little bit now honestly not even an 1hr now u can go to a 9 in maths
yr 9 is the perfect time to revise maths and literally upgrade
use mathsgenie it has all the topics + vids + worksheets and there are other websites such as savemyexams and thirdspacelearning and cognito to help u
you'll prolly finish the content a lot earlier then ur school if you start now cuz ibsr they js stretch it out long

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending