The Student Room Group

Is Maths a joke for Further Maths students?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Alexion
No. C4 is still pretty hard tbh. Easier than the Further modules, but still no walk in the park.

Which further module in particular? I find C4 to be just about the same difficulty as C2.
Depends on what modules you take. For example, doing stats 2 in FM is easier than doing core 4 in maths.
Original post by Zacken
I think you have a few groups of people:

Those who find AFM/FM/M piss easy.
Those who find FM hard but M easy.
Those who find both FM and M hard.

Don't forget:

Those who find M/FM/AFM/STEP/IMO/ProvingTheRiemannHypothesis piss easy.
Original post by kkboyk
Which further module in particular? I find C4 to be just about the same difficulty as C2.

Probably only feeling like C4 is hard because I pushed it to one side (and I'm feeling the pressure because I need to do well in C4 for an A* in Maths).

It's easier than FP1 tho tbf.
Reply 24
Original post by Alexion
Probably only feeling like C4 is hard because I pushed it to one side (and I'm feeling the pressure because I need to do well in C4 for an A* in Maths).

Same haha. I have never learnt the GCSE stuff like surface area and volume of shapes, so I struggle the wordy differential equation questions.
Original post by Alexion

is c4 actually easier than fp1?

(im in year 12)
Reply 26
Original post by IrrationalRoot
Don't forget:

Those who find M/FM/AFM/STEP/IMO/ProvingTheRiemannHypothesis piss easy.

:rofl:
Original post by hellomynameisr
is c4 actually easier than fp1?

(im in year 12)

Really going to be subjective. Doing them in different years so it's difficult to compare them.

I struggled a lot with some of the complex numbers stuff in FP1 at first so I think that's the main thing that makes me feel like it was a hard module, wasn't that bad really tho :cute:
Original post by RoadtoSuccess
Basically Maths at A-level to me is SATs in Year 6
And Further maths at A-level is GCSE's
:tongue:

Spoiler

:biggrin:
Reply 29
Original post by spaceman11
Is A Level Maths considered piss-easy for Further Maths students?

Yeah it was quite easy for me and a lot of my class in FM.

If I would rank the modules from hardest to easiest:

FP3
FP2
D2
M2
C3
FP1
D1
C4
C2
M1
S1
C1
Reply 30
Original post by kkboyk

Agreed

Depends how much knowledge a further maths student has of further maths
I'm currently doing AS maths and Further maths and I'm not finding either terribly hard.
I guess maths does seem 'piss easy' to some extent because C1 and C2 are pretty straight forward, and compared to some of the stuff I'm doing in FP1 (parabolas/hyperbolas for example) it's a walk in the park.
Not to mention S1 and S2 are both a bit of a joke tbh. Most of the course is just repeating what I did in GCSE statistics.
The modules in Further maths, aren't as straight forward so they make the modules in maths seem so much simpler.
Those in our FM class used to call normal A-Level maths, 'peasant maths'.

No offence intended, just harmless #TopMegaFMBantz

Spoiler

Not really, I definitely thought C3 and C4 were a lot less intimidating than they were before after getting through FP2 and FP3 but I definitely wouldn't call them "piss easy".
I find maths pretty easy but I wouldn't call it a joke- all the content's necessary for other stuff even if you don't find it particularly challenging in itself.

Original post by Lucasium
People find AFM piss easy? I struggle to believe that

Nah I can believe it tbh. I'm not sure how much of it is natural talent and how much is work, but some people just get maths more than others lol.

Also, even if you don't find it easy at first (I certainly wouldn't), success at A Level maths basically = learning how to do past papers and relying on the fact that your exam will be exactly like those past papers. Not that I'm complaining!
Reply 36
Once you've done FP2-3, you will be able to do C4 in your sleep. It does make A-Level Maths seem much, much easier.
Original post by xylas

If I would rank the modules from hardest to easiest:

Hmm I'd say:

FP2
M2
M1
FP1
S2
D2
C4
C3
S1
D1
C2
C1
Reply 38
Original post by khaleesi98
Hmm I'd say:

FP2
M2
M1
FP1
S2
D2
C4
C3
S1
D1
C2
C1

Someone has shyed away from the glory that is FP3...
Original post by VannR
Someone has shyed away from the glory that is FP3...

I'd replace mechanics with FP3 any day ☺️

(I might regret saying that if I actually, you know, looked at any FP3. But anyways.)

Quick Reply

Latest