The Student Room Group

A level advice

I am currently in year 12 studying maths, physics and computer science. I want to study maths at university and I am definitely applying to Manchester and Lancaster and the rest depend on my predicted grades (aiming for at least A’s). I plan to drop computer science at the end of the year and I wanted to take further maths but unfortunately my college has said no and they are saying it is too late. They have offered me statistics a level instead and I am interested in statistics and I am considering doing maths and statistics but further maths would be a lot better. I know Manchester and Lancaster do not require further maths a level and Manchester say they do prefer if you take it but the vast majority of students have it for a maths degree. I have checked the further maths private candidate fees for Edexcel and they are £137.00. This is affordable and I am considering it. I have found some core pure 1 courses on EDX which are free. What do you guys think I should do? Take statistics or ask if I can do my maths and physics at college then further maths privately. If I say that I am dead set on doing further maths privately they might let me join the class. I will be studying further maths from June and I want to complete the AS by September if I self study. Or should I just do statistics? I have my end of year mocks in around a week and was wondering should I try for computer science? Is there any point in me doing any work or revision for that exam? Thank you
The majority of Maths courses do not require Further Maths but want Maths and 2 other subjects. If you are taking Maths and Physics I would have thought it fine to take statistics but you might be best advised to check it with the universities you intend applying to. I know that Lancaster's Maths course didnt use to include Mechanics and was very Statistic based so Statistics seems ideal but checking it out with each university is your best action. Give them a ring on Monday as emails sometimes take a while to get a response.
I have just quickly looked et entry requirement of a few Northern universities. Lancaster, Leeds and Liverpool it doesnt matter about FM whilst Manchester prefers it. Universities sometime reduce a grade if you offer FM. It is likely you will need FM for Durham otherwise you should be OK with Statistics but as said previously check it out.
Original post by Safwan321
I am currently in year 12 studying maths, physics and computer science. I want to study maths at university and I am definitely applying to Manchester and Lancaster and the rest depend on my predicted grades (aiming for at least A’s). I plan to drop computer science at the end of the year and I wanted to take further maths but unfortunately my college has said no and they are saying it is too late. They have offered me statistics a level instead and I am interested in statistics and I am considering doing maths and statistics but further maths would be a lot better. I know Manchester and Lancaster do not require further maths a level and Manchester say they do prefer if you take it but the vast majority of students have it for a maths degree. I have checked the further maths private candidate fees for Edexcel and they are £137.00. This is affordable and I am considering it. I have found some core pure 1 courses on EDX which are free. What do you guys think I should do? Take statistics or ask if I can do my maths and physics at college then further maths privately. If I say that I am dead set on doing further maths privately they might let me join the class. I will be studying further maths from June and I want to complete the AS by September if I self study. Or should I just do statistics? I have my end of year mocks in around a week and was wondering should I try for computer science? Is there any point in me doing any work or revision for that exam? Thank you

Hiya! I do Computer Science at Lancaster, not Maths but I'll reply to this in hopes that a Maths student ambassador will see this! From the course page, it looks like Lancaster may reduce the grade requirements if A Level FM is taken so you'll have to decide if that's something that would be beneficial for you. Another option could be to transfer to a different sixth form/college and redo year 12 so you can take the full FM A Level? As other people have said, I suggest emailing admissions to universities you're interested in to hear their thoughts.

All the best!

- Sophia (Student Ambassador)

Hi, I'm Penelope a 3rd year maths student at Lancaster University. You are right in the fact that Lancaster doesn't require a Further Maths A-Level to do the Maths degree here. I've linked the course details here if you would like to check it out: https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/mathematics-bsc-hons-g100/#course-entry

If you are interested in self studying further maths, then I think it would be worth it if you have enough time to do it. I found it more even more interesting than the maths a-level and I think you might too by the sounds of it. Both a Statistics or a Further Maths A-Level would be helpful in a maths degree here, but by no means necessary. I know a few people on my course that didn't do further maths at A-level and it hasn't impacted them too much, especially not after 1st year. I found that a lot of the first term of first year was going over a lot of the further maths a-level, and the lecturers don't assume knowledge of further maths so if you don't end up self studying it then I wouldn't worry too much, since you'll be caught up quickly.

Let me know if you have any questions. I hope that helps a bit.

-Penelope (Lancaster University Mathematics Student Ambassador)
Reply 5

I am study Maths and Further Maths too. I have collated all the practice papers and other papers as well. It is not too difficult to achieve A's but A*'s depend on exam techniques and a through understanding of concepts.

I would definitely recommend Maths, Further Maths and Physics and apply for Engineering at Cambridge, Imperial, UCL, Durham, Manchester and Warwick. :smile:

PM me for the 10GB file of all the papers. :wink: Inshallah you do well.
Reply 6
I’m a fellow year 12 student and just wondered whether you might find it helpful to consider taking the STEP exam. There are lots of online materials to self prepare.
Reply 7
Original post by Lunalunah
I’m a fellow year 12 student and just wondered whether you might find it helpful to consider taking the STEP exam. There are lots of online materials to self prepare.

Only if you want to study Maths at Cambridge, Imperial, Warwick...
Reply 8
Pretty sure Nottingham doesn't require FM for their Maths degrees,

Quick Reply

Latest