The Student Room Group

English literature or IT

I'm not sure what I want to study but I am leaning towards economics so my alevel subjects are maths, economics but I'm not sure if I should pick IT or english literature as the third. I also want to know the workload for literature like the amount to books to read. Please help cuz this is literally my second day at sixth form and I'm in a dilemma.
Original post by lunay123
I'm not sure what I want to study but I am leaning towards economics so my alevel subjects are maths, economics but I'm not sure if I should pick IT or english literature as the third. I also want to know the workload for literature like the amount to books to read. Please help cuz this is literally my second day at sixth form and I'm in a dilemma.

Literature will require a lot of reading. It's not a joke. I think it's standard that you reading at least 2 novels and 1 play per year (the more accomplished students read novels every other week). You might want a second opinion from other people who are doing/did Literature though.

IT on the other hand complements economics and maths more due to the use of logic and systematic thinking, so that's my go to. Having said that, IT isn't particularly easy.
Reply 2
Which subject will you enjoy studying?
Go and see each teacher and ask about study load and what is expected.

If you have a 'maths head', then IT might be more suitable than Eng Lit - and this combination of subjects could lead you to a hundred different degree subjects - example : https://www.sussex.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/finance-and-technology-fintech-bsc
Reply 3
Original post by McGinger
Which subject will you enjoy studying?
Go and see each teacher and ask about study load and what is expected.

If you have a 'maths head', then IT might be more suitable than Eng Lit - and this combination of subjects could lead you to a hundred different degree subjects - example : https://www.sussex.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/finance-and-technology-fintech-bsc

The thing is I didn't enjoy computer but I passed it for some reason. Also I got the IT text and it has alot of "program looking thingys". I love reading books too but I am aware that the books would be for academic study and I might not enjoy them since I can't really read at my pace.
Reply 4
Original post by MindMax2000
Literature will require a lot of reading. It's not a joke. I think it's standard that you reading at least 2 novels and 1 play per year (the more accomplished students read novels every other week). You might want a second opinion from other people who are doing/did Literature though.

IT on the other hand complements economics and maths more due to the use of logic and systematic thinking, so that's my go to. Having said that, IT isn't particularly easy.

Would you say literature is harder than IT?
Reply 5
If you enjoy literature, but don't enjoy IT, I can't imagine why you even needed to ask this question. I get that you're concerned about difficulty, but it shouldn't matter what a bunch of strangers on the internet think is harder, because we're not the ones taking the subject. The correct way of looking at it is: have your literature marks historically been good, and do you have faith in your own ability to analyse a text? And only you can answer that.

The only other potential concern is whether or not the course you want to do at uni - provided you're planning on going - prefers students who have taken IT. However, I think you would have mentioned it if this were the case.
(edited 7 months ago)
i'm not sure of the year's amount of work for English... i would do a google search :smile:

if you're interested in doing an economics undergraduate degree, i would google the university's preferred A level subjects for the economics degree

i don't know if this year's IT course will be similar to your past computer class

i see you won't be able to read the academic English books at your pace... i would read other people's analyses of the books to save time. there are guides online on books, but i'm not sure if they have your titles
Reply 7

It depends on what you like and find easier.

Personally, my favourite subject was English and I was a bookworm so I would always have chosen English. I would have struggled with IT.
(edited 7 months ago)

As per @McGinger's response, it depends on the sort of person you are. I'm more of a scientist/maths person, so I would find IT easier.
When I was doing literature, I found it more difficult than doing maths (which is known as one of the more difficult A Levels in general) or the sciences.

If you're more likely to do well in economics and maths (as you're implying), then you're likely going to find IT easier. Having said that, if you don't enjoy it, there's no point in doing it for A Level (as per @CJS 123987's response). I would pick another analytical subject instead e.g. physics, further maths (recommended for top end unis for economics), chemistry, geology, stats,
If you are passionate about literature, and you are willing to do what it takes to get a high grade in it, then by all means go for it.

If you are able to do 4 A Levels, I suppose you can do 3 A Levels + literature, so by the end of Year 12 you can be a better judge to whether to drop Lit or not. If you're confident in doing Lit, you can do it alongside Maths + your other A Level (or economics). If not, you can do it alongside Maths + your other 2 A Levels (one might be economics should you wish).
Note: you don't need economics A Level to go into an economics degree.
Reply 9
Original post by MindMax2000
As per @McGinger's response, it depends on the sort of person you are. I'm more of a scientist/maths person, so I would find IT easier.
When I was doing literature, I found it more difficult than doing maths (which is known as one of the more difficult A Levels in general) or the sciences.

If you're more likely to do well in economics and maths (as you're implying), then you're likely going to find IT easier. Having said that, if you don't enjoy it, there's no point in doing it for A Level (as per @CJS 123987's response). I would pick another analytical subject instead e.g. physics, further maths (recommended for top end unis for economics), chemistry, geology, stats,
If you are passionate about literature, and you are willing to do what it takes to get a high grade in it, then by all means go for it.

If you are able to do 4 A Levels, I suppose you can do 3 A Levels + literature, so by the end of Year 12 you can be a better judge to whether to drop Lit or not. If you're confident in doing Lit, you can do it alongside Maths + your other A Level (or economics). If not, you can do it alongside Maths + your other 2 A Levels (one might be economics should you wish).
Note: you don't need economics A Level to go into an economics degree.

Thank you so much!!

Quick Reply

Latest