The Student Room Group

I feel really stupid.

I got an 8 in Maths GCSE and because of that, i thought i could do it at A level. So in year 12 i chose to do the Maths Alevel, but i had to drop it 6 months in because i was just lagging so far behind. I wasn't getting it, it just wasn't right for me.

So since then there's been a running joke that i can't do maths, its all been just a laugh up to this point. But today we were talking about it and i said i bet i couldn't even do year 10 foundation questions. So my friends were like "ok lets see haha" (still jokes at this point).

So they gave me 3 really easy questions, and i couldn't get any of them. I'm not joking, they asked me what's 3.67 x 4.2 and i got like 3.142 as my serious answer. Like i wasnt even pretending to be stupid i actually got that.

I got all 3 questions wrong, literally some of then were grade 1/2 stuff and i couldnt do it. I feel really stupid, i know it doesnt even matter but i just feel really dumb not being able to do the most basic maths, i actually teared up a little at it. And to think i thought i could do it at a level.
Reply 1
Original post by wkathryn17
I got an 8 in Maths GCSE and because of that, i thought i could do it at A level. So in year 12 i chose to do the Maths Alevel, but i had to drop it 6 months in because i was just lagging so far behind. I wasn't getting it, it just wasn't right for me.

So since then there's been a running joke that i can't do maths, its all been just a laugh up to this point. But today we were talking about it and i said i bet i couldn't even do year 10 foundation questions. So my friends were like "ok lets see haha" (still jokes at this point).

So they gave me 3 really easy questions, and i couldn't get any of them. I'm not joking, they asked me what's 3.67 x 4.2 and i got like 3.142 as my serious answer. Like i wasnt even pretending to be stupid i actually got that.

I got all 3 questions wrong, literally some of then were grade 1/2 stuff and i couldnt do it. I feel really stupid, i know it doesnt even matter but i just feel really dumb not being able to do the most basic maths, i actually teared up a little at it. And to think i thought i could do it at a level.

bro i HATE MATHS BUT I NEED MATHS BUT I CANT DO MATHS BECAUSE I DONT HAVE THE GRADES TO DO MATHS BECAUSE I DIDNT REVISE AND NOW I AM STRESSED BECAUSE...... i am in the middle of the most morally question battle in my whole entire life.

dude getting an 8 for ur gcses is great. u may have just been under unconscious pressure or something when u were trying to do those qs. a levels ARE hard and theres nothing to be ashamed of. i can see that with an 8 u r clearly not stupid and even if u didnt do well for ur gcses that still doesnt mean ur stupid cuz if its just not ur thing, its nothing to be ashamed of. on a lighter note, i bet if u watched this vid, youd feel better https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwwtIo9puew
Reply 3

i also got an 8 in math but have forgotten half the content.by no way does this mean ur dumb. i cant even answer simple basic logic qs and thats ok. if ur friends r hurting with their words u should tell them .u should know maths is one of the hardets/ hated subject out there so what u got is a GREAT score and u should feel proud of urself. dont let people tell u otherwise
Reply 4

Definitely don't judge yourself by those 3 questions because it isn't enough evidence and there may have been other factors like lack of sleep or pressure that was causing you to make errors. Considering you got an 8 in GCSEs I don't think people can even joke about you not being able to do maths. Also maths isn't the only measure of intelligence. I bet if you asked Mozart to do GCSE maths he would fail but he's still a music genius (I don't know if he was good at maths or not it's just an example)
I mean logically 4 lots of 3 cannot be 3, but I'm sure you actually do know that - sometimes people go blank when put on the spot though.

That aside, why are you so bothered about your maths? You got an 8, clearly you're not dreadful at it, and okay so you couldn't cut it with the A-Level... so what? Does it matter? Will you get to your death bed and think "my biggest regret was that I didn't do better in maths"? Of course not.

Use a calculator and get on with your life doing something other than maths, simples.
I got a 9 in maths.....now I can't do simple calculations without a calculator. So don't worry. And I think your friends are a bit mean/rude
Reply 7
girl i cant do my 9 or 11 times table, being terrible at maths is normal, i also got an 8 at gcse haha, i literally can only do this stuff using my fingers or a calculator. my gcse was for nothing atp but i dont need it for my alevels so its fine

bro honestly. i'm the same, maths isn't for all of us, i gave up on it at gcse, but you can find other routes into your chosen career, i want to go into product design, most of the courses want physics and maths, i'm doing neither, you just gotta hold your head up and know that if you want something bad enough you can get it. keep your head up queen. because best believe maths isn't it.
Reply 9
I'm doing Maths and Further Maths and I doubt I could answer that question quickly under pressure these days since I just use a calculator.
Original post by NazifaNawer
I got a 9 in maths.....now I can't do simple calculations without a calculator. So don't worry. And I think your friends are a bit mean/rude

Phahaha second this. At A level u use a calculator for all exams and I can’t do some basic Qs like that which to me rn isn’t as basic. I’d just rely on my calculator. The Q they asked u I may not be able to do right away and I did further maths lmao (I got A and A*). Honestly I think it was the pressure and not that ur not capable bc u definitely r. It could even be I had a bad teacher (I had a rlly good 1)
(edited 11 months ago)
Hello,

I did worse in my maths and got a grade 6 at GCSE last year. Instead of A-levels I am currently doing the IB Diploma and at the time was accepted into standard maths applications course (= to AS level) but at the time I really liked comp sci and needed higher maths (=A-level) to get into majority of universities, so I ended up saying I was struggling with higher English lit so that I could swap the subject levels around. Fast forward to now, I have fallen so far behind in all my subjects that my mental health and grades went down, even the ones I studied at GCSE and got 8's in. All because I purely focused on trying to keep up with the maths.

I am having to move elsewhere as this school and the IB Diploma are taking all of my time and I ain't getting decent grades or the support i need for my mental health. I will be doing A-levels instead and still face the risk of needing to do maths but trust me, you did the best thing not continuing it as everything else suffered for me and most likely would of happened to you, despite us getting different GCSE grades. At least now you won't have to redo year 12:smile:

Hope this helps:smile:

Reply 12

u know what, If I am being honest I still dont know what I want to do because since I was little my parents kept telling me how I HAVE to be a doctor no matter what. My whole family ( parents, grandparents, cousins , aunties and random stranger) keep saying how I should become a doctor and everything. This is why my parents keep pushing maths and science on to me. But I dont want to do any of those cz ik its going to mentally drain me but I cant do anything abt and I have to pick them....so what I am trying to say is that I think you made a good decision by dropping it as cz if u kept doing it and didnt get good results u would not feel good= feel bad abt urself etc. AND DONT FEEL STUPID CZ U DONT KNOW THAT BRO, I DONT EVEN KNOW MY NEGATIVE NUMBER AND HAVE TO USE A NUMBER LINE AND A BIRD FIGURE TO HELP ME....i am not evening joking ( p.s my GCSE's are tmr. yh ik i am ****ed) :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest