The Student Room Group

Batch vs continuous fermentation

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1460594924.075822.jpg

How would I know that ethanol is produced by a batch culture and not a continuous culture?

Posted from TSR Mobile
You wouldn't, as industrial grade ethanol probably undergoes some refinement/alterations after it was originally produced.
Original post by zombiejon
You wouldn't, as industrial grade ethanol probably undergoes some refinement/alterations after it was originally produced.

So I don't get it- is it produced by batch or continuous?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lilly1234567890
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1460594924.075822.jpg

How would I know that ethanol is produced by a batch culture and not a continuous culture?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Whether or not the ethanol is produced using a batch or continuous culture is irrelevant for this question. The question doesn't specify it, so you don't need to know it.

The question just asks for the advantages and disadvantages of using yeast to make ethanol. It's given you some clues on how to answer this by telling you the requirements for the chemical process (steam, temperature, ethene). Think about the cost of this, which process will be cheaper, time consuming, requires more processing (ethene needs to be derived from oil). Some disadvantages you could write about using yeast are that it needs to be maintained properly (correct temperature/pH/nutrient availability) and it won't give you as good a yield as the chemical method.
Ethene is non renewable whilst glucose is which is what is used for fermentation.
Original post by Eloades11
Whether or not the ethanol is produced using a batch or continuous culture is irrelevant for this question. The question doesn't specify it, so you don't need to know it.

The question just asks for the advantages and disadvantages of using yeast to make ethanol. It's given you some clues on how to answer this by telling you the requirements for the chemical process (steam, temperature, ethene). Think about the cost of this, which process will be cheaper, time consuming, requires more processing (ethene needs to be derived from oil). Some disadvantages you could write about using yeast are that it needs to be maintained properly (correct temperature/pH/nutrient availability) and it won't give you as good a yield as the chemical method.

Yeah but in the mark scheme
One of te marking points was to say that ethanol is produced via a batch culture and so I was wondering how could they possibly tell that

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah but in the mark scheme
One of te marking points was to say that ethanol is produced via a batch culture and so I was wondering how could they possibly tell that

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's strange because that has nothing to do with the benefits or disadvantages of using yeast. It must be referring to the differences since the chemical method doesn't use batch culture or any type of culture for that matter. Have you covered continuous cultures during your studies? If the specification only covers batch cultures, that might explain why it's in the mark scheme.
Original post by Eloades11
That's strange because that has nothing to do with the benefits or disadvantages of using yeast. It must be referring to the differences since the chemical method doesn't use batch culture or any type of culture for that matter. Have you covered continuous cultures during your studies? If the specification only covers batch cultures, that might explain why it's in the mark scheme.

Yeah we have done continuous culture. Ugh these questions always trip u up and u don't know what to write in exams - it's so annoying !!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah we have done continuous culture. Ugh these questions always trip u up and u don't know what to write in exams - it's so annoying !!

Posted from TSR Mobile

They like catching you out, that's what exam boards do :tongue:

My best guess would be to ask your teacher or have a look at the examiner report for this paper and see how exactly they wanted you to include that in your answer. I expect the question wasn't worth many marks, and that you could have gotten all the marks without putting down "batch culture". But even so, it's best to learn how they expect you to approach each question.

If you do find out how they expect you to put "batch culture" in the answer, please let me know too :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending