The Student Room Group

Sheffield vs Bath vs Southampton Chemical Engineering

Hi
Im having a hard time trying to decide which to choose as my first choice. Each have their pros and cons. Bath ranks well but isn't russell group, (not sure if thats important for undergrad), Southampton was lovely when i went, got a new 5.3 million investment to Chem Eng, but isn't as prestigious as others and is a bit far( 5hrs) and Sheffield ranks quite low on the league tables, and seemed a little outdated when i went to its open day, but it has a yr abroad and a yr in industry whilst the others only offer yr in industry.
Im not sure which is best from an employers or other post grad institutes point of view.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Singam21
Hi
Im having a hard time trying to decide which to choose as my first choice. Each have their pros and cons. Bath ranks well but isn't russell group, (not sure if thats important for undergrad), Southampton was lovely when i went, got a new 5.3 million investment to Chem Eng, but isn't as prestigious as others and is a bit far( 5hrs) and Sheffield ranks quite low on the league tables, and seemed a little outdated when i went to its open day, but it has a yr abroad and a yr in industry whilst the others only offer yr in industry.
Im not sure which is best from an employers or other post grad institutes point of view.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Also Southampton isn’t an accredited degree as it’s new. I’d say Bath is really good for it
Reply 2
Original post by theanon2
Also Southampton isn’t an accredited degree as it’s new. I’d say Bath is really good for it

Hi
I do understand it isn't accredited but it says they are working towards accreditation, and they need to wait until the first batch of students graduate so IChemE can accredit it, if its up to standard, then SchemE said they will backlog everyone who was part of that course, and Southampton seemed very certain they would get it, so I'm not sure if that a problem or not in that case.

Quick Reply

Latest