The Student Room Group

English Lit An Inspector calls Essay

Hi, i was wondering if anyone could mark this paragraph for An Inspector Calls and give me a band if I was to continue on the same level for the entire essay.

'But these girls aren't cheap labour - they're people'. What does Sheila's reaction to the Inspector's summary of Eva's time with Birling and Co. reveal of her attitude to life?

Sheila's attitude to life can be considered to be very pure hearted and righteous, almost as if to her doing the right thing is more important than taking advantage of the vulnerable for an individuals personal and selfish benefits. They hyphen in 'girls aren't cheap labour - they're people' emphasises on the idea that Sheila feels incredible anger and remorse at how terribly these girls are being mistreated, even though they are equal to her in the sense that they are all humans. She is unable to comprehend how someone, so similar to her are being used so heartlessly as 'cheap labour' which not only generalises them as objects but shows how very little importance they have as humans. This angers Sheila who lives a life of luxury and cannot understand how while she lives in comfort and security, there are girls out there striving for their next meal due to the 'cheap' wages they receive. This can make Sheila selfless as she was able to sympathise with the working class and put their rights before what would be beneficial to her; cheap labour would help increase her family's wealth and help her continue living the luxurious life she leads but she, instead puts the needs of these workers before herself, showing that she puts doing the honourable thing as her top priority and cares about other individuals just as much as a person in a society should. However, her selflessness and righteous attitude can show to the reader that she is naive as she does not realise that people will continue behaving in a selfish manner no matter how much she argues against it and that no matter what Sheila says, it will not change the cruel way the upper class take advantage of the working class.
I dont know how to mark the answer but i think its really good.
+
Im not the best at english but you could suggest an alternative meaning to the quotation E.g. that Priestly presents character of Sheila, almost as a feminist by the way she speccifically addresses the "girls" of the factory.
You could say the her attitutde to life could be seen from a feminist viewpoint of society + could link very well to today's audience who are watching/reading the play as gender inequality still occurs today (women still get paid less) - not sure if this is right + its a bit contexty but it links to the theme of gender inequality + gives an alternative interpetation towards the characters atitude to life sooo yeah.

Sorry if i wasn't of much help.... :frown:
Reply 2
Original post by MeerabBieber
Hi, i was wondering if anyone could mark this paragraph for An Inspector Calls and give me a band if I was to continue on the same level for the entire essay.

'But these girls aren't cheap labour - they're people'. What does Sheila's reaction to the Inspector's summary of Eva's time with Birling and Co. reveal of her attitude to life?

Sheila's attitude to life can be considered to be very pure hearted and righteous, almost as if to her doing the right thing is more important than taking advantage of the vulnerable for an individuals personal and selfish benefits. They hyphen in 'girls aren't cheap labour - they're people' emphasises on the idea that Sheila feels incredible anger and remorse at how terribly these girls are being mistreated, even though they are equal to her in the sense that they are all humans. She is unable to comprehend how someone, so similar to her are being used so heartlessly as 'cheap labour' which not only generalises them as objects but shows how very little importance they have as humans. This angers Sheila who lives a life of luxury and cannot understand how while she lives in comfort and security, there are girls out there striving for their next meal due to the 'cheap' wages they receive. This can make Sheila selfless as she was able to sympathise with the working class and put their rights before what would be beneficial to her; cheap labour would help increase her family's wealth and help her continue living the luxurious life she leads but she, instead puts the needs of these workers before herself, showing that she puts doing the honourable thing as her top priority and cares about other individuals just as much as a person in a society should. However, her selflessness and righteous attitude can show to the reader that she is naive as she does not realise that people will continue behaving in a selfish manner no matter how much she argues against it and that no matter what Sheila says, it will not change the cruel way the upper class take advantage of the working class.

I love the way in which you have taken one quotation from the play and fully picked it apart and analysed each part in much detail. However, I think there is some scope for improvement. You could say that the use of the word 'labour' instead of 'work' or another job-related lexis is used in particular as it has connotations of heavy work, and the employers working the girls to the bone, and how there is an imbalance in the profession with the use of the word 'cheap' because normally, labourers are paid reasonable sums of money, as cheap here is ambiguous. It could mean the actual wage that the girls are paid, if anything, but also insinuates the way in which the girls in the factory are exploited, which you could link back to the sexist nature of the working class and the aristocracy. Sheila comes across as disgusted and outraged, but also shocked - this is a milestone in the play because Sheila had no care for those lower than her, a feature of her personality which was heavily influenced by her parents in particular, and perhaps also Gerald. The hyphen shows that she is coming to realise the real flaws in society at the time, ie. she no longer sees the world through rose-tinted spectacles, but through harsh reality, because on one side of the hyphen is part of the view that she must have had prior to the Inspector's ominous arrival, and the other side of the hyphen is a personal realisation that she finally understands the word 'people', thus also humanising the girls in the process.

I believe I might have touched on some of your excellent points, and repeated them in the process but I do hope that some of my further analysis has helped you as much as possible. For an essay itself, I believe you wou;ld need at least one or two more quotes, but no more, whatever the question. In addition, I think you need to link each quotation back to the purpose that J.B.Priestley intended his phenomenal play to serve. I would give your paragraph a high Band 5 (I believe this is the second to highest band), because I think you need more analysis in there (just write everything down that comes into your head, and then expand on those points) and linking back to Priestley's purpose(s) and of course the question, or statement, whichever.

I hope this helps and I am sorry if I come across a bit harsh in marking - I am simply conveying to you what my English teacher said to me to do in such an essay, because those tips really helped me to get an A* in English Lit :tongue:. If you need anything else, don't hesitate to ask me, and good luck in the exams!
Reply 3

This part is contradictory as Sheila is generalising them herself if she thinks that they are all similar to herself, but then opposes generalisation of women under your interpretation. You should probably get rid of the part that says generalises them as objects to get rid of this.

Other than that maybe this is an A in total or possibly a high B- although it does depend on the quality of the entire essay not just this point.
Reply 4
Original post by sue99
I love the way in which you have taken one quotation from the play and fully picked it apart and analysed each part in much detail. However, I think there is some scope for improvement. You could say that the use of the word 'labour' instead of 'work' or another job-related lexis is used in particular as it has connotations of heavy work, and the employers working the girls to the bone, and how there is an imbalance in the profession with the use of the word 'cheap' because normally, labourers are paid reasonable sums of money, as cheap here is ambiguous. It could mean the actual wage that the girls are paid, if anything, but also insinuates the way in which the girls in the factory are exploited, which you could link back to the sexist nature of the working class and the aristocracy. Sheila comes across as disgusted and outraged, but also shocked - this is a milestone in the play because Sheila had no care for those lower than her, a feature of her personality which was heavily influenced by her parents in particular, and perhaps also Gerald. The hyphen shows that she is coming to realise the real flaws in society at the time, ie. she no longer sees the world through rose-tinted spectacles, but through harsh reality, because on one side of the hyphen is part of the view that she must have had prior to the Inspector's ominous arrival, and the other side of the hyphen is a personal realisation that she finally understands the word 'people', thus also humanising the girls in the process.

I believe I might have touched on some of your excellent points, and repeated them in the process but I do hope that some of my further analysis has helped you as much as possible. For an essay itself, I believe you wou;ld need at least one or two more quotes, but no more, whatever the question. In addition, I think you need to link each quotation back to the purpose that J.B.Priestley intended his phenomenal play to serve. I would give your paragraph a high Band 5 (I believe this is the second to highest band), because I think you need more analysis in there (just write everything down that comes into your head, and then expand on those points) and linking back to Priestley's purpose(s) and of course the question, or statement, whichever.

I hope this helps and I am sorry if I come across a bit harsh in marking - I am simply conveying to you what my English teacher said to me to do in such an essay, because those tips really helped me to get an A* in English Lit :tongue:. If you need anything else, don't hesitate to ask me, and good luck in the exams!

Thank you so much for your help. Your ideas are quite perceptive:smile: I don't think your marking harshly though. My english teacher is an official examiner and she never gives anyone higher than a band 4 even though we're top set.
Realistically, is this honestly a band 5? I haven't had my work marked yet, I've only gotten feedback
Reply 5
Thank you so much for your help. Your ideas are quite perceptive. I don't think your marking harshly though. My english teacher is an official examiner and she never gives anyone higher than a band 4 even though we're top set.
Realistically, is this honestly a band 5? I haven't had my work marked yet, I've only gotten feedback

Thank you! I was getting panicked when I couldn't deploy my English analysis skills well enough, because I worked so hard on them for GCSE. Through my English teacher's eyes, if you continued at the same standard throughout the essay, then you would get an overall high Band 5. Your paragraph is deeply analytical, and I get the feeling that my English teacher would be very impressed with your work! Your English teacher seems very harsh to me! My improvement would be more analysis and linking back to the question and Priestley's purpose, and there is no reason why a high Band 6 cannot be achieved. :tongue:
I cant say as its not complete essay . But judging by your writing style perhaps a 20/25
B.
Reply 8
Original post by yoloman123
I cant say as its not complete essay . But judging by your writing style perhaps a 20/25

Would that possibility be an A?
Reply 9
Original post by Oblivion99
B.

Oh great(!) I really want an A*. Do you know how I can improve?
Oh great(!) I really want an A*. Do you know how I can improve?

Lengthen your essays. Use more textual evidence and elaborate on your points.
Original post by Oblivion99
Lengthen your essays. Use more textual evidence and elaborate on your points.

Ok thank you! So if I explain one point in extreme detail using textual evidence and perceptive comments, can I get an A/A*?
Ok thank you! So if I explain one point in extreme detail using textual evidence and perceptive comments, can I get an A/A*?

yeap.

Quick Reply

Latest