The Student Room Group

how do i go from a 3 to a 5 in ENGLISH

English is so so difficult for me i am so stressed, Im in Y10 and recently did an unseen poetry test and got a grade 3, my predicted grades went down from a 4 to 3. I really really want to just get a 5 to do a specific a level, i know my gcse are next year but it really stresses me so much knowing this is my current progress. Im doing an Inspector Calls next week but does anyone know about any tips thatll help for that aswell? or just any tips for improving english overall? Anything will help, im quite bad with being original or interpreting\connoting things, what things for that could help? thanks
Reread the book, watch a youtube video explaining it, and make notes, if your teachers are supportive, you could do practice questions and ask them to read them. Understand the structure of an essay, like using PEAL and what to include in your answer. Don't worry about your predicted grades, unless your transferring and using them for college or sixth form, they aren't a biggie. Like just do well in the GCSE.
Yeah, I would reccomend Mr Salles on youtube he is really helpful and helped me during GCSE
Memorising a couple of quotes for different themes in the play and knowing what they represent in relation to other characters and just context of that period in time is helpful.
Original post by miisakii
English is so so difficult for me i am so stressed, Im in Y10 and recently did an unseen poetry test and got a grade 3, my predicted grades went down from a 4 to 3. I really really want to just get a 5 to do a specific a level, i know my gcse are next year but it really stresses me so much knowing this is my current progress. Im doing an Inspector Calls next week but does anyone know about any tips thatll help for that aswell? or just any tips for improving english overall? Anything will help, im quite bad with being original or interpreting\connoting things, what things for that could help? thanks

Hi there! I took my GCSEs in 2021- so I may be a little rusty but my biggest tip for improving your grades is doing past papers. If you look up GCSE past papers for the subject (in this case it'd be English Literature), lots should come up. They ought to be free on the exam board's website. Just make sure you're specific!

For Lit, I used flashcards for quotes and focused on revising for stuff you need to know for the exam. The questions often follow patterns, so making mind-maps of themes, characters etc can be super helpful! Don't panic. There's loads of resources, just keep organised. I didn't end up doing Inspector Calls as they got rid of some options when it came to the real exam. But stuff like Sparknotes and Litcharts are total lifesavers!

Oh and, there's lots of videos on YouTube that teach you how to structure your essays. It might help you to follow an exact step-by-step procedure.

Sending you luck and best wishes! :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by miisakii
i am also like that i get 90 in English instead of a 100.i am so stressed out.
mr.ee for lang + mr.salles for lit

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending