The Student Room Group

Cambridge IGCSE English Language (May 3rd 2016) official thread

Scroll to see replies

guyz

you know how question three is a summary, is it true that our paper will only be on Passage B ? Because my teacher hasn't really taught us the protocol for writing two short summaries for each passage.

Something about the new papers, and only one summary....?

I just want to know for sure
Original post by ZiggyStarDust_
you too

how were you in school tho, it's meant to be a bank holiday today???

I go to a skl that loves to do interventions lool we had a dropdown for english from 9 to 3:30.How u feeling bout the exam tommorow ?
Reply 562
Original post by Milzime
guyz

you know how question three is a summary, is it true that our paper will only be on Passage B ? Because my teacher hasn't really taught us the protocol for writing two short summaries for each passage.

Something about the new papers, and only one summary....?

I just want to know for sure

i sat the june 2015 and nov 2015 exams with these structures:

Part 1: PASSAGE A
QUESTIONS 1 and 2

Part 2: PASSAGE B
QUESTION 3

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 563
How is everybody feeling?For question 1 i think a Journal or an Interview may come up as the form of writing.
Original post by ibte10
How is everybody feeling?For question 1 i think a Journal or an Interview may come up as the form of writing.

I'm not too bad. I've worked out my grade boundaries; I've had full-marks so far and for us, the exam is worth 40% (we're following syllabus 0522). I've done the calculations and I think that means, under last year's grade boundaries, I can afford to drop up to 20 marks, which I know from past papers would be insane anyway. Subject to no changes in my secured marks, ofc :smile:

How are you feeling? On what have you based your predictions of the journal/interview? I'm really hoping it's not a talk! :frown:
thanks
Original post by ibte10
Hello guys! I have decided to create a thread dedicated to this examination as we are only 20 days away!

60% of this exam will be banked without even starting the exam- three pieces of coursework and speaking and listening. The other 40% is the exam.

There are three questions in this exam: Question 1(20 marks), Question 2(10 marks) and Question 3(20 marks).

How are you guys feeling? If anybody needs help, feel free to post. Discuss anything related to the exam and share ideas in this thread.

Here is a link to Past papers
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BzumkDfi9230Tl9iSl9JT1E5V0E&usp=drive_web

Advice on how to answer each question
https://sites.google.com/a/grange.cl...age-paper-tips
Credit goes to @metellaest for providing this resource.

If anybody has any useful websites, then feel free to message me and i will add them to the OP. Also it would be very appreciated if anybody has a link to the grade boundaries for each year.

Thanks and good luck!
well I'm screwed for tomorrow... D:
Original post by thecomputernerd
I am terrified for language........I always do better in literature :':wink:
anyone got good techniques or tips for language?
we got a new teacher for year 11 he is awful

Question 1 is to read and adapt - you need to morph your style of writing and sustain a distinctive tone. Do 5 for bullet point one, 5 for bullet point 2 and 3 for bullet point 3. However, they should all be about equal - therefore you must expand bullet point 3. USE YOUR OWN WORDS. Spend 45 minutes

The exam board has told our school to write as much as possible for the second question and our school has advised to spend 40 minutes on it - this is different from last year as the marks on this question, last year, were typically low. You should try to have 4 phrases analysed for both a and b. DONT USE TERMINOLOGY - instead explore connotations and associations. As afore mentioned spend 40 minutes.

For the first part of Q3, don't use your own words - use phrases from text given. Spend 20 minutes.

For the second part of Q3, spend some time grouping ideas and then it is vital that you use your own words. Spend 15 minutes (but I find this takes about 5 minutes for me, so..)

Good luck :smile: hope this helps
Reply 568
Original post by Southwestern
I'm not too bad. I've worked out my grade boundaries; I've had full-marks so far and for us, the exam is worth 40% (we're following syllabus 0522). I've done the calculations and I think that means, under last year's grade boundaries, I can afford to drop up to 20 marks, which I know from past papers would be insane anyway. Subject to no changes in my secured marks, ofc :smile:

How are you feeling? On what have you based your predictions of the journal/interview? I'm really hoping it's not a talk! :frown:

I am feeling pretty confident as i have strong coursework marks, I think i have 73/75 already. Basing this on last years grade boundaries i would need 33 in the exam to get an A*. I have based my predictions on the forms of writing in previous years. A journal has not come up since Nov 2011 and an interview has not come up since Nov 2012. A talk came up this November so should not happen.
Guys what are your predictions for the total marks for an a* for tomorrow's exam? Last year I think was 106.
Reply 570
Here is the link to each years Q1 form of writing
Reply 571
Original post by dennissingh99
Guys what are your predictions for the total marks for an a* for tomorrow's exam? Last year I think was 106.

theres no point predicting before anyone has seen the paper or even after. however, grade boundaries for this syllabus dont change much..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ibte10
I am feeling pretty confident as i have strong coursework marks, I think i have 73/75 already. Basing this on last years grade boundaries i would need 33 in the exam to get an A*. I have based my predictions on the forms of writing in previous years. A journal has not come up since Nov 2011 and an interview has not come up since Nov 2012. A talk came up this November so should not happen.

Thanks so much, that's really reassuring, but I might need to go over interviews a bit more cautiously then :frown: It's lovely to hear that you've got equally-comfortable grades.

Hey, best of luck! :smile:
Reply 573
Original post by dennissingh99

It depends on how well people around the country do in the exam. I would aim for 110 or as much as possible as that surely would secure the grade.
Original post by ibte10

Pretty good except question 1 is annoying me!! Um im placing my bet on a journal, report or letter

Posted from TSR Mobile
good luck to everyone!! :biggrin:
are you able to write more than 15 points for Q3a, and if so, where do you write it?
Reply 577
Original post by suryyyyynn
are you able to write more than 15 points for Q3a, and if so, where do you write it?

You can, but the examiner will just ignore them. If you write one and its incorrect but have extras underneath that are correct, they will just be ignored.
Original post by ad4m
You can, but the examiner will just ignore them. If you write one and its incorrect but have extras underneath that are correct, they will just be ignored.

So lets say that I am writing point 1, but because its too long, i write it right under the line 1, but not on the second line, is that fine. Because otherwise I dont know how i am going to write the whole point on one line...
Original post by ibte10
Here is the link to each years Q1 form of writing

Thank you! But what is the difference between a newspaper article and newspaper report? What do you think will come up tomorrow?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending