Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    9
    ReputationRep:
    Hello guys! I have decided to create a thread dedicated to this examination as we are only 20 days away!

    60% of this exam will be banked without even starting the exam- three pieces of coursework and speaking and listening. The other 40% is the exam.

    There are three questions in this exam: Question 1(20 marks), Question 2(10 marks) and Question 3(20 marks).

    How are you guys feeling? If anybody needs help, feel free to post. Discuss anything related to the exam and share ideas in this thread.

    Here is a link to Past papers
    https://drive.google.com/folderview?...&usp=drive_web

    Advice on how to answer each question
    https://sites.google.com/a/grange.cl...age-paper-tips
    Credit goes to metellaest for providing this resource.

    If anybody has any useful websites, then feel free to message me and i will add them to the OP. Also it would be very appreciated if anybody has a link to the grade boundaries for each year.

    Thanks and good luck!
    Offline

    8
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibte10)
    Hello guys! I have decided to create a thread dedicated to this examination as we are only 20 days away!

    60% of this exam will be banked without even starting the exam- three pieces of coursework and speaking and listening. The other 40% is the exam.

    There are three questions in this exam: Question 1(20 marks), Question 2(10 marks) and Question 3(20 marks).

    How are you guys feeling? If anybody needs help, feel free to post. Discuss anything related to the exam and share ideas in this thread.

    Here is a link to Past papers
    https://drive.google.com/folderview?...&usp=drive_web

    If anybody has any useful websites, then feel free to message me and i will add them to the OP. Also it would be very appreciated if anybody has a link to the grade boundaries for each year.

    Thanks and good luck!
    Best of luck to you too! Unfortunately, what I am taking is worth 100% of my grade - though I guess the paper you're discussing (Paper 2?) is only 50% (I'm taking Paper 3 on the Friday instead of coursework).

    I found this page a couple of days ago and I thought it had some good advice: https://sites.google.com/a/grange.cl...age-paper-tips

    Are you taking Cambridge iGCSE Literature as well?
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    9
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by metellaest)
    Best of luck to you too! Unfortunately, what I am taking is worth 100% of my grade - though I guess the paper you're discussing (Paper 2?) is only 50% (I'm taking Paper 3 on the Friday instead of coursework).

    I found this page a couple of days ago and I thought it had some good advice: https://sites.google.com/a/grange.cl...age-paper-tips

    Are you taking Cambridge iGCSE Literature as well?
    Hello! Yes i am talking about paper 2 extended paper which consists of 50 marks. Are you doing Core? Thanks for the resource, i will add it to the OP. BTW i am doing AQA for Literature.
    Offline

    3
    ReputationRep:
    Isn't the exam on May 5th not May 3rd? Not sure to be honest.
    I think I got an A* for the 60% coursework and I'm aiming for an A* for the actual thing
    My strengths are question 2 and the second part of question 3
    Any tips for Question 1 and the 15 bullet point bit of question 3?
    Offline

    14
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibte10)
    Hello guys! I have decided to create a thread dedicated to this examination as we are only 20 days away!

    60% of this exam will be banked without even starting the exam- three pieces of coursework and speaking and listening. The other 40% is the exam.

    There are three questions in this exam: Question 1(20 marks), Question 2(10 marks) and Question 3(20 marks).

    How are you guys feeling? If anybody needs help, feel free to post. Discuss anything related to the exam and share ideas in this thread.

    Here is a link to Past papers
    https://drive.google.com/folderview?...&usp=drive_web

    Advice on how to answer each question
    https://sites.google.com/a/grange.cl...age-paper-tips
    Credit goes to metellaest for providing this resource.

    If anybody has any useful websites, then feel free to message me and i will add them to the OP. Also it would be very appreciated if anybody has a link to the grade boundaries for each year.

    Thanks and good luck!
    Hello, I completed my IGCSE English language in November. It's a tough paper to be comletely honest ( not Trying to scare you ) Good luck and all the best for that exam the grade boundaries goes up in 10 so 90= A* and 80=A and so on ...
    Offline

    13
    ReputationRep:
    Is it true that you cannot get an a* in this exam?
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    9
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k.m.b)
    Is it true that you cannot get an a* in this exam?
    You can get a A* in this exam.
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    9
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by X_Hope_X)
    Hello, I completed my IGCSE English language in November. It's a tough paper to be comletely honest ( not Trying to scare you ) Good luck and all the best for that exam the grade boundaries goes up in 10 so 90= A* and 80=A and so on ...
    What grade did you get? Is the mark that you mentioned based on total Mark in Coursework and the Exam?
    Offline

    13
    ReputationRep:
    My coursework mark is really high so I have no stress whatsoever for the exam, I've barely even counted it as 'start of GCSE's' I just keep thinking to myself that they start on 17th because the English one I'd be happy to do tomorrow, just doing some past papers & working on Q3 really
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    9
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caitlinford3)
    My coursework mark is really high so I have no stress whatsoever for the exam, I've barely even counted it as 'start of GCSE's' I just keep thinking to myself that they start on 17th because the English one I'd be happy to do tomorrow, just doing some past papers & working on Q3 really
    Same my coursework is pretty high also. I personally find Q1 the hardest out of the three questions. Q3 part A is pretty straightforward. However, in the mock exams i got no more than three marks for part B. Any advice on part B of Q3?
    Offline

    13
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibte10)
    Same my coursework is pretty high also. I personally find Q1 the hardest out of the three questions. Q3 part A is pretty straightforward. However, in the mock exams i got no more than three marks for part B. Any advice on part B of Q3?
    I find Q3 hardest - it's the 'easiest' but yet I always seem to just get the wrong points for 3a! & for part B just definitely make sure it's in your own words, that it doesn't seem list-like & that it flows nicely
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    I am terrified for language........I always do better in literature :')
    anyone got good techniques or tips for language?
    we got a new teacher for year 11 he is awful
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by X_Hope_X)
    Hello, I completed my IGCSE English language in November. It's a tough paper to be comletely honest ( not Trying to scare you ) Good luck and all the best for that exam the grade boundaries goes up in 10 so 90= A* and 80=A and so on ...
    how much did you get? What about your friends did any get a stars
    Offline

    3
    ReputationRep:
    I feel like this paper is really easy to get a high gradr but it seems like im always getting an A how do u actually get an A*.
    Firstly question 1 is my strong point but I guess my last paragraph is always to short so I need to practice that. Question 2 is really good also. But question 3 I dont always get the right bullet points which is weird highest mark for tht Ive gotten is 13
    Offline

    8
    ReputationRep:
    Can someone tell me how the grade boundaries work with the Cambridge igcse? The grade thresholds on the website doesn't make sense to me whatsoever as it states that the whole course is out of 125 marks but surely it's out of 130 marks (50 from exam, 30 from speaking and listening, 40 from coursework + 10 for reading). I know I am obviously going wrong somewhere. Also, roughly how many marks would I need to get in the exam to get an A overall? My speaking and listening is 28, coursework average mark is 38 + 8 for reading.
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibte10)
    Hello guys! I have decided to create a thread dedicated to this examination as we are only 20 days away!

    60% of this exam will be banked without even starting the exam- three pieces of coursework and speaking and listening. The other 40% is the exam.

    There are three questions in this exam: Question 1(20 marks), Question 2(10 marks) and Question 3(20 marks).

    How are you guys feeling? If anybody needs help, feel free to post. Discuss anything related to the exam and share ideas in this thread.

    Here is a link to Past papers
    https://drive.google.com/folderview?...&usp=drive_web

    Advice on how to answer each question
    https://sites.google.com/a/grange.cl...age-paper-tips
    Credit goes to metellaest for providing this resource.

    If anybody has any useful websites, then feel free to message me and i will add them to the OP. Also it would be very appreciated if anybody has a link to the grade boundaries for each year.

    Thanks and good luck!

    this is helpful,thank you!
    Offline

    3
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by monkeyboy18000)
    Can someone tell me how the grade boundaries work with the Cambridge igcse? The grade thresholds on the website doesn't make sense to me whatsoever as it states that the whole course is out of 125 marks but surely it's out of 130 marks (50 from exam, 30 from speaking and listening, 40 from coursework + 10 for reading). I know I am obviously going wrong somewhere. Also, roughly how many marks would I need to get in the exam to get an A overall? My speaking and listening is 28, coursework average mark is 38 + 8 for reading.
    Pretty sure reading is included w/coursework so 120 overall??
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    9
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by monkeyboy18000)
    Can someone tell me how the grade boundaries work with the Cambridge igcse? The grade thresholds on the website doesn't make sense to me whatsoever as it states that the whole course is out of 125 marks but surely it's out of 130 marks (50 from exam, 30 from speaking and listening, 40 from coursework + 10 for reading). I know I am obviously going wrong somewhere. Also, roughly how many marks would I need to get in the exam to get an A overall? My speaking and listening is 28, coursework average mark is 38 + 8 for reading.
    I am not sure myself to be honest. Have you tried asking your teacher though? My teacher has a database where she inserts how much marks you got on your coursework pieces and speaking and listening. She then can calculate an estimate for how much marks you need in the exam to get in the exam for each grade. I am in search for the grade boundaries myself.
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    How is question 1 your strong point? How are you so good at it?
    (Original post by ellamoon_22)
    I feel like this paper is really easy to get a high gradr but it seems like im always getting an A how do u actually get an A*.
    Firstly question 1 is my strong point but I guess my last paragraph is always to short so I need to practice that. Question 2 is really good also. But question 3 I dont always get the right bullet points which is weird highest mark for tht Ive gotten is 13
    Offline

    3
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiara006)
    How is question 1 your strong point? How are you so good at it?
    Question 1 is my strong point because I am a creative person in general so I like writing things and using impressive vocan and descriptive imagery etc.Dunno I actually enjoy english. Well I havent reallt like done anything to get good but I guess u culd do pastpapers which im going to do very soon. Also highlight things and translate words whilst ur reading the passage into ur own words to get ideas flowing. What r ur usual grades for this?
 
 
 
Reply
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 28, 2016

3,224

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reply
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.