The Student Room Group

Cambridge IGCSE English Language (May 3rd 2016) official thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SJ_E
I literally only had 10 seconds to spare at the end :smile:

Wow ! Hope you guys did well! Good luck in August!! :biggrin:
Original post by SJ_E
I literally only had 10 seconds to spare at the end :smile:

I finished q1 and q3 thoroughly but on q2 I only managed to do 5 points instead of 8. I wrote down the overall effects of both paragraphs and for the 3 remaining points I wrote down the quotation and notes next to it as I only had seconds left. How much would I have got out of 10?

Also for q1 because it was a letter I felt like it should not be first person but I wrote it in first person as this was how the introductory sentences were set out
(edited 7 years ago)
The exam was okay, however I struggled on Q2 and was unfinished. For Q3, I did all the 15 bullet points for the 5 marks - however the actual summary was also unfinished. Damn it😭
(edited 7 years ago)
Struggled with question 2 :/
Guys,
I found the authorial intent quite hard, like there was barely anything to write about......
Also, for the letter I wrote in present tense and future tense.
For example, I said "I am enjoying the wonderful scenery and landscapes"
Thats fine right?
It was okay but not as good as my other mocks (but hopefully I'll still get an A). The first question was okay, although my development wasn't great. The second question was so difficult - I couldn't find any good quotations, especially on the second paragraph but I still managed to write almost three pages. Question 3 was my best, but I probably missed one or two marks.
Okay the exam was okay overall but I found that the 15 point summary was kind of difficult as all the points lead back to immune systems ugh 😭 Question 1 was good and I just about managed to do five words for one paragraph and four for the other in question 2
(edited 7 years ago)
I actually found question one solid compared to the other questions
Original post by examhater44
Guys,
I found the authorial intent quite hard, like there was barely anything to write about......
Also, for the letter I wrote in present tense and future tense.
For example, I said "I am enjoying the wonderful scenery and landscapes"
Thats fine right?

Yeah that sounds fine I actually wrote in all three tenses! Past tense to discuss what happened with her husband the day before, present to talk about the staff and the hotel and future to talk about what she wants to do for the rest of the week
How did everyone find there English exam today? i thought it was pretty easy, compared to other year's exams.
I really liked question 2, but I found the third part of question 3 quite hard cause you had to infer and 3a hard because I felt like I was either repeating myself or putting lots of separate points into 1
Original post by Aubergineator
Yeah that sounds fine I actually wrote in all three tenses! Past tense to discuss what happened with her husband the day before, present to talk about the staff and the hotel and future to talk about what she wants to do for the rest of the week

Yea thats exactly what I did!
Thank god
I finished q1 - got 5 points for each bullet points.
However, for q2 i got 3 words/phrases from each paragraph.
Fortunately, for q3 i finished all 15 points and summarised all 15 points.
Reply 733
Is it me or; Question 2 paragraph B had almost no descriptive words?:colonhash:
It went bad for me, I spent like an hour on question 3 trying to get it perfect, then like 40 minutes on question 1 and only managed to get 3 - 4 crap paragraphs in for question 2. Really upset :frown: anyone think I can still get 34??
[Please be sure to suggest any other points]

Question One

What were her first impressions of the hotel and the staff?

. Al was generous as he waited in the airport for the guests to arrive
. The Gardners discussion was nice
. Al seemed to care about her neck pain
. Hotels dining room was good
. The landscape and artwork

What was her husbands attitude and behaviour like? And what were her feelings towards it?

. Threw a tantrum at market at her
. Child like immature/irresponsible
. Pressured Al into putting him in group
. Rubble on top of the hill- rude
. Refused to go to the animal sanctuary

What were her plans

. To collect him from hospital
. To persuade him not to file a complaint
. To go to the airport by Friday to go home
. Spend remaining days writing notebook
. Spend remaining days with bees and seeing how she can help
. Explore the history and area of the place
. Leave a good reputation after her husband, before she leaves
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by mmgnaahk123
I finished q1 - got 5 points for each bullet points.
However, for q2 i got 3 words/phrases from each paragraph.
Fortunately, for q3 i finished all 15 points and summarised all 15 points.

For Q1 I got 5 points for Q2 I only 5 points which is annoying for Q3 I done everything
Same :/ Mr Head der waste man poper making the exam hard and that
Original post by Anonymous 6826
Struggled with question 2 :/
I messed the paper so much :frown: i want to cry
(edited 7 years ago)
Ive failed and I'm so upset i didnt use many points my punctuation was pretty poor and my handwriting was terrible and i didnt do question two properly and i wrote too much for the summary

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending