The Student Room Group

The Hezzlington Cooking Blog - A student that eats like a King

Scroll to see replies

I've been in the kitchen pretty much since noon till now. I'm exhausted.

Oxtail and dessert were an absolute treat. Unfortunately I didn't get good pictures for various reasons. I'm too tired to do the update now, but will do so shortly. The desert tasted and did look amazing, however, it wasn't up to my aesthetic standard presentation wise so didn't even make for a good picture anyway. I'm going to redo it on wednesday for my friends.

Update: The pork belly I promised you is taking far longer than I thought, that will be up on Tuesday (brining overnight, then cooked for 18 hours. I'm still up working on the brine......the aromas in my kitchen are mental. Nothing smells better than toasted spices and vanilla.)

Content will come soon!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by hezzlington
I've been in the kitchen pretty much since noon till now. I'm exhausted.

Oxtail and dessert were an absolute treat. Unfortunately I didn't get good pictures for various reasons. I'm too tired to do the update now, but will do so shortly. The desert tasted and did look amazing, however, it wasn't up to my aesthetic standard presentation wise so didn't even make for a good picture anyway. I'm going to redo it on wednesday for my friends.

Update: The pork belly I promised you is taking far longer than I thought, that will be up on Tuesday (brining overnight, then cooked for 18 hours)

Content will come soon!

:drool:
Any updates?! @hezzlington
Original post by jenigma
Any updates?! @hezzlington

Made a pot noodle. It was intense.
Made a pot noodle. It was intense.

:lol: Nothing else?
This thread kept me happy when I was ill :hmmm: more please!
Original post by jenigma
:lol: Nothing else?

Original post by iEthan
This thread kept me happy when I was ill :hmmm: more please!

In all seriousness, I am terribly sorry for the lack of updates. I'm behind on it. Uni work has taken over.

The pork belly didn't turn out great because of my poor butchering skills so will have another crack later.

When I get paid at the end of the month i'll source some more fun ingredients.

I have two deserts to upload though, they were good. When I can find time i'll sit down with my phone and upload the stuff.

Ps i dont eat pot noodles
In all seriousness, I am terribly sorry for the lack of updates. I'm behind on it. Uni work has taken over.

The pork belly didn't turn out great because of my poor butchering skills so will have another crack later.

I have two deserts to upload though, they were good. When I can find time i'll sit down with my phone and upload the stuff.

Omg!! OK! Excited now :excited: Can't wait to see more :drool:

Waiting with bated breath.
Update:

The deserts I've tried several times weren't good enough for the blog (aesthetically). My photography is terrible and doesn't help the dishes look aesthetically pleasing.

I've been a bit hesitant with posting recently. The cooking hasn't been turning out great recently and I only want the quality of the posts to increase because everything so far has just been about bulking up the blog to give me something to post as opposed to showing off a bit.

Money is tight at the moment, so I can't be spending too crazily on foods to experiment with.

However.

Next Thursday, my house are having a little Come Dine With Me event with the netball girls. The boys are up first, so we'll be making a three course dinner for all of us. We've decided on the main, which is a roast beef. I've been sourcing out beef, and I'm looking for either a three rib or a a plain old dry aged roasting joint. Starter and desert is TBA. The budget is £30 so £10 each to cook for 6 people. We'll win :wink:

I'll post this up for sure.

There are still a lot of recipes I want to try out, if they are good enough I'll post them up if I have time. We'll see.
(edited 7 years ago)
Update:

The deserts I've tried several times weren't good enough for the blog (aesthetically). My photography is terrible and doesn't help the dishes look aesthetically pleasing.

I've been a bit hesitant with posting recently. The cooking hasn't been turning out great recently and I only want the quality of the posts to increase because everything so far has just been about bulking up the blog to give me something to post as opposed to showing off a bit.

Money is tight at the moment, so I can't be spending too crazily on foods to experiment with.

However.

Next Thursday, my house are having a little Come Dine With Me event with the netball girls. The boys are up first, so we'll be making a three course dinner for all of us. We've decided on the main, which is a roast beef. I've been sourcing out beef, and I'm looking for either a three rib or a a plain old dry aged roasting joint. Starter and desert is TBA. The budget is £30 so £10 each to cook for 6 people. We'll win :wink:

I'll post this up for sure.

There are still a lot of recipes I want to try out, if they are good enough I'll post them up if I have time. We'll see.

This is very exciting
Original post by iEthan
This is very exciting

let's hope I actually deliver :wink:

I've been **** with this recently hahah.
let's hope I actually deliver :wink:

I've been **** with this recently hahah.

As long as you deliver sooner or later :tongue: I love this blog :yep:
Dude, this is flipping awesome! :woo:
Are you at Liverpool? You mentioned Smithdown road asda. Have you any picture of the process of making the pot noodle?
Original post by Botticello
Are you at Liverpool? You mentioned Smithdown road asda. Have you any picture of the process of making the pot noodle?

I am :smile:

Err well you buy a pot noodle and then you do whatever it says on the pot.
I am :smile:

Err well you buy a pot noodle and then you do whatever it says on the pot.

Woo Liverpool graduate here! I lived in Kensington fields so I could just walk down the hill to uni :smile:
Not letting me upload the photo unfortunately. Roast potatoes on point. Beef was okay, not a nice cut.

Not gonna be posting the recipes on TSR anymore, sorry. It has served its purpose to me. The blog didn't go in the direction I wanted it to, but oh well.

Over and out
(edited 7 years ago)
"Cooking should be a pleasue, if it's a job...get a takeaway"
-Marco Pierre White

I've been meaning to get around to creating this thread in a while. I'm a student that loves food. I love to spend money on food, sourcing fresh and interesting ingredients wherever I can to conjure up some tasty dishes. I spend about £50 a week on average on ingredients. Sometimes less, often more. I am firm believer that everybody should take the time to learn how to cook. It's an enjoyable life skill and if you're curious and adventurous, opens you up to new dishes and flavours that you'd otherwise be missing out on.

The purpose of this blog is to document what I cook and hopefully give/receive tips on general cooking and maybe inspire some to learn themselves. I cook a variety of cuisines from all over the world.

I'll also take requests, if you have a dish you particularly enjoy making, post a recipe and I'll give it a go. I'll start off with simpler, easier dishes and then start to showcase some longer, more complicated dishes at the weekend.

TSRians, I present to you...

Dish #1 - Steak Sandwich

Spoiler

Dish #2 Chicken Tikka Masala

Spoiler

Dish #3 Chicken Teriyaki with veg served with fragrant jasmine rice.

Spoiler

Dish #4 Five Spice Duck

Spoiler

Up coming dishes

Oxtail with butterbeans and rice

Jerk chicken with rice and peas.

Nasi Goreng is an Indonesian dish and it's REALLY hard to make from scratch. It takes a lot of ingredients and planning so I'll do this some point over the weekend.

Homemade sausage rolls.

Alcoholic Wine Gums. My friends are coming up to visit and it's her birthday so I'm going to surprise her with these.

Dude, i’m gonna type as sober as possible, that honestly looks fcking pathetic and digusting compared to my meal. and I’m being one hundred percent serious. Sorry we dont cook sht that was perviously in cans. its a fuking joke dude, and im dead fuking serious. get a real family that cooks good food, drinks beer and wine and winecoolers and has a good fuking time, and has a milliondollar house on the beach, im seriously.. dont ever post your fuking poverty dinner on these forums ever the fuk again bro, and by bro i mean never my bro
Original post by NewcastleFresher
Dude, i’m gonna type as sober as possible, that honestly looks fcking pathetic and digusting compared to my meal. and I’m being one hundred percent serious. Sorry we dont cook sht that was perviously in cans. its a fuking joke dude, and im dead fuking serious. get a real family that cooks good food, drinks beer and wine and winecoolers and has a good fuking time, and has a milliondollar house on the beach, im seriously.. dont ever post your fuking poverty dinner on these forums ever the fuk again bro, and by bro i mean never my bro

I won't dw :smile:

Thanks for the feedback I shall take it into account.

Quick Reply

Latest