The Student Room Group

Two imiscible layers in separating funnel

1463047088369965410315.jpg hi could someone help me with 1a. It's asking which layer contains the organic product and the answer is the upper layer because density of organic product is lower than water. I thought that water is always the organic layer. Why is water aquesous in the question ? Is water the aqueous layer or the organic layer ? I know water is more dense. Thanks.
Reply 1
Hi, water is in the aqueous layer as as the organic layer contains the ions and the insoluble cyclohexane, which causes it to separate from the aqueous layer, as is immicible.
Original post by coconut64
1463047088369965410315.jpg hi could someone help me with 1a. It's asking which layer contains the organic product and the answer is the upper layer because density of organic product is lower than water. I thought that water is always the organic layer. Why is water aquesous in the question ? Is water the aqueous layer or the organic layer ? I know water is more dense. Thanks.

WHAT? Organic means something which contains carbon, how can water be the organic layer? The definition of aqueous is a solution of water with other stuff dissolved in it
Reply 3
Original post by langlitz
WHAT? Organic means something which contains carbon, how can water be the organic layer? The definition of aqueous is a solution of water with other stuff dissolved in it

I get it now thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest