The Student Room Group

OCR AS Physics (new spec)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Desert_fox15
56% in the breadth the highest in my year being 70%, and my school is quite respectable with results in maths and physics so I don't think it's looking good anywhere in the country.

Damn. Out of interest where do you go?
Reply 21
If you have the rest of your subjects sorted out though I would not sit back in any shape or form, being over prepared is better than being under prepared, what other subjects are you guys doing.

All over the place mate, I got all 3 sciences and psychology, a literal mess... curse my decision making skills.
If you have the rest of your subjects sorted out though I would not sit back in any shape or form, being over prepared is better than being under prepared, what other subjects are you guys doing.

Chemistry(gonna drop), Economics(pretty confident), MAths(Confident)
Original post by Starmock99
Chemistry(gonna drop), Economics(pretty confident), MAths(Confident)

The sciences are gonna be the killer, I'm also doing eco and maths, along with further maths, currently finding physics the hardest by far. The only thing I would recommend to both of you is to just do question after question from past papers until the exam.
The sciences are gonna be the killer, I'm also doing eco and maths, along with further maths, currently finding physics the hardest by far. The only thing I would recommend to both of you is to just do question after question from past papers until the exam.

The worse thing is.. I did better in the chemistry tests than the physics and im dropping chem. A bit worrying tbh
I would go as far as saying that ocr physics is one of the hardest as levels this year, further maths pales in comparison to the difficulty this offers, or that might just be me being weird lol.
The worse thing is.. I did better in the chemistry tests than the physics and im dropping chem. A bit worrying tbh

Damn this is exactly what happened with me!

I would go as far as saying that ocr physics is one of the hardest as levels this year, further maths pales in comparison to the difficulty this offers, or that might just be me being weird lol.

Nope not just you, every other A level feels easier than physics atm. Before doing any of the practice papers everyone in our class was getting straight A's and B's... A different story now. I wish I could've got this wake up call earlier.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 27

Same. Now I'm gonna have to drop physics instead.
Tbh I still think it's doable, just that it will take a lot of effort, I've got c1 ands c2 in the bag, along with economics after banging them out the whole year, and with c3 and m2 a long way away for me I'm going to have to focus on physics these next two weeks.
Reply 29
Hello everyone, we got the set the Practice Breadth and Depth before we left for study leave as a revision source. I have to say after achieving above 85% + in the old specs papers and about 70% in the specimens. The Practice papers were extremely hard. The specimen papers look reasonable as there are a variety of questions that test your knowledge in a good manner. However, that depth paper made my heart sink I thought I would fail physics and gave up lol.

I have asked my teacher and plenty of other people, they did say the real exam will not be that hard, and practice papers are meant to stretch your brain to the fullest. To be honest the breadth paper is the one where most marks can be picked up if you are good at calculations and application.

Now with the depth paper 15% counts towards practicals so make sure you are up to date with them 100% so you can pick up those marks easily. OCR have know targeted those who can apply knowledge and understanding to a real life situation, most of the old spec papers were easy as its literally just putting your knowledge of the textbook on to the paper.

If there are any other questions you want to ask just Reply back or shoot me a PM
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by mahmzo
Hello everyone, we got the set the Practice Breadth and Depth before we left for study leave as a revision source. I have to say after achieving above 85% + in the old specs papers and about 70% in the specimens. The Practice papers were extremely hard. The specimen papers look reasonable as there are a variety of questions that test your knowledge in a good manner. However, that depth paper made my heart sink I thought I would fail physics and gave up lol.

I have asked my teacher and plenty of other people, they did say the real exam will not be that hard, and practice papers are meant to stretch your brain to the fullest. To be honest the breadth paper is the one where most marks can be picked up if you are good at calculations and application.

Now with the depth paper 15% counts towards practicals so make sure you are up to date with them 100% so you can pick up those marks easily. OCR have know targeted those who can apply knowledge and understanding to a real life situation, most of the old spec papers were easy as its literally just putting your knowledge of the textbook on to the paper.

If there are any other questions you want to ask just Reply back or shoot me a PM

Are you doing OCR A or B?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
Original post by manwtfisthis
Are you doing OCR A or B?

Posted from TSR Mobile

OCR A
Reply 32
I'm in the same situation, same with my whole year. I averaged about 50% with depth and breadth combined which is about a C with the old specification. Assuming that things stay as hard as they were, grade boundaries will be lower, so I think the only thing to do now is understand how to answer the questions, and touch up on how to calculate uncertainties!

Quick Reply

Latest