The Student Room Group

Is Edexcel the hardest chemistry A level?

Heard from a number of people that edexcel is apparently the hardest board, is this true?

After putting up with its BS through AS and soon to finish A2 it would explain a lot of things.
Reply 1
Doesn't matter. UMS.
Reply 2
It does matter, higher ability schools with more funding, more intelligent students such as your privates might be more likely to feel confident doing the edexcel course if it is indeed harder than others, so it makes us normal humans less able to reach the top marks, even if it's done by ums, as the top tiers are all reserved for private percy
I thought that all the exam boards are regulated so that the same subjects across each board are of similar difficulty?
Reply 4
Original post by NimbleNeil
Heard from a number of people that edexcel is apparently the hardest board, is this true?

After putting up with its BS through AS and soon to finish A2 it would explain a lot of things.

I would definitely say CIE, the difficulty of their exams (especially A2) is nuts. I started out as edexcel, but then had to change boards after moving abroad. Cambridge are ****ing sadists
Reply 5
It does matter, higher ability schools with more funding, more intelligent students such as your privates might be more likely to feel confident doing the edexcel course if it is indeed harder than others, so it makes us normal humans less able to reach the top marks, even if it's done by ums, as the top tiers are all reserved for private percy

Grade boundaries are not set by norm referencing. The top grades are not reserved for the cleverest, but for the candidates who get beyond a certain mark. The number of candidates who get an A* is not limited to a certain number of the most able. Grade boundaries as set by statistical comparison of the cohort based on their prior attainment i.e. GCSE results etc. rather than comparison to other cohorts; that and a professional judgement comparing the paper to prior papers.

Answering the OP: Pre-U 4tw - they go up to A**.

Since when are students at private school more intelligent? They buy their grades haha
Coming from an AQA point of view, dont worry about edexcel, it looks so easy compared to AQA. At least yours actually makes sense
Well, my chemistry teacher who is the head of chemistry and marks for AQA says that AQA is much harder than Edexcel.

We do the Edexcel course, and we're not a private school (although we are a grammar school, but not that it matters).
Reply 9

...I went to a state school, and frankly, all chemistry A level courses are a breeze. If you can't get top marks it's not because some school with more money is stealing all of the places. Stop making excuses.
Hey guys, I am wondering whether anyone knows why I am not able to post anything? An error message comes up and I have no idea why :frown: I'm really stuck on a Chem question...
Original post by alow
...I went to a state school, and frankly, all chemistry A level courses are a breeze. If you can't get top marks it's not because some school with more money is stealing all of the places. Stop making excuses.

Since you find Chem a 'breeze' may i ask you a question? :wink:
edexcel/CIE, lool just that CIE GB is quite low as well, usually 50ish/100 is already an A
Reply 13
Original post by blueangel328
Since you find Chem a 'breeze' may i ask you a question? :wink:

Shoot.
Original post by alow
Shoot.

Sorry I don't know how to screenshot the page but I have the link:

http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Chemistry/2013/Exam%20materials/6CH05_01_que_20130122.pdf

Its question 17 (c) (i) on page 23. I am being asked to identify all of the different H environments on M. But I have no idea how to do this, NMR questions are really hard but I hope you will be able to tackle this one!
Reply 15
Sorry I don't know how to screenshot the page but I have the link:

http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Chemistry/2013/Exam%20materials/6CH05_01_que_20130122.pdf

Its question 17 (c) (i) on page 23. I am being asked to identify all of the different H environments on M. But I have no idea how to do this, NMR questions are really hard but I hope you will be able to tackle this one!

What the question is hinting at is that peak height corresponds to number of protons in the environment, and it being low-resolution means very similar environments will coalesce into one peak.
In the question is says:

The low resolution nuclear magnetic resonance (nmr) spectrum of M has six peaks with relative heights 4:4:2:1:1:1

What is this supposed to mean?

There are two environments with four hydrogens, one environment with two hydrogens and three with 1 hydrogens? Because that doesn't match with the structure :frown:
Reply 17
In the question is says:

The low resolution nuclear magnetic resonance (nmr) spectrum of M has six peaks with relative heights 4:4:2:1:1:1

What is this supposed to mean?

There are two environments with four hydrogens, one environment with two hydrogens and three with 1 hydrogens? Because that doesn't match with the structure :frown:

Why doesn't it match with a structure? Remember it is low-res so the conformation of the ring won't matter for the two CH2CH2 bridges.
(edited 7 years ago)
Huuh? Can you please explain it fully? As in, your thought process from beginning till end? I would really appreciate it :wink:
Original post by alow

Where did I make an excuse? Just curious as to the perceived relative difficulty of the different exam boards. Claiming you find something a breeze comes off as arrogant by the way, which i'm sure you aren't , just doesn't look good.

Quick Reply

Latest