AS AQA Geography GEOG1 17th and GEOG2 20th May 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ArbinderSingh98
2 settlements bro, so two parts of a city -__----

ayy I did this :smile: I compared Northern Sheffield to South Sheffield
Original post by EllieMcMinn
Aah Shite

Dw im sure u picked up marks in the other part forget about it its done :smile:
for coasts case study was it correct in talking about tge benefits of the engineering such as walkinh on high tide which couldnt be done before
Original post by A levellssss123
On the population 15 marker I rushed it and accidentally wrote about migration in two contrasting areas and how this affects these areas- I wrote about services shutting down etc which I guess is social welfare but then I wrote about pollution and waste in the areas
and about general overcrowding. All these do impact humans in a way but I'm not sure if it will count as 'social welfare', anyone know if I would get any marks for this?

Please someone reply in really worried I've mucked it up.
Reply 584
Original post by sophie1212
I did exactly the same as you for the Uganda question, explaining what it was like in the diagram and then saying how it would change, but not giving specific stages. I think I mentioned that in stage 4/5 if it ever reached it then it may have an ageing population.
For the Antarctica question, I talked about issues such as sealing and also the fishing that goes on and the vast amount of krill being taken. I also talked about the tourism and the Scott Polar Research Institute that looked at the negative effects of the tourism. I did think the question was worded weirdly too but it seems that what you put would definitely answer the question well.
For the malnutrition one I only talked about LDCs (forgot it occurs in MDCs too!), so my whole answer was based around poverty, and that 80% of Ethiopians rely on agriculture and if due to disaster or drought these crops fail they cant feed themselves. I used the 1984-5 and 2000 case study. Yours sounds right too!
I agree on the glacial map question, i had absolutely no idea what it showed and put exactly what you did about it changing direction (after I'd studied it for 5 minutes trying to work it out!)

Thank you so much!!! Thats so helpful!! I really need a high grade in this as its a resit haha! Thanks so much!
Reply 585
Original post by BonnieLeigh
didn't do your other units, but obvs i did population! I said the pyramid was stage 1, if you look it up it looks more like stage one but yeah i first described it and then went on to say as the country gets more developed (i.e. education of women) the birth rate would fall so the pyramid would become narrower on the bottom, but yah dunno whether that was right

Thank you!! That was really helpful
Original post by A levellssss123
Please someone reply in really worried I've mucked it up.

if your areas were contrasting then im pretty sure you shall get some marks, however not the top bands. Talking about pollution is relevant im pretty sure, as long as you did link it to higher density levels in the city. In my answer for this question, i talked about ethnicity, transport and the types of housing.
for the population 15 marker i talked about the Isle of Purbeck in dorset which is undergoing rural depopulation and Brick Lane in london which is experiencing population growth but as the question asked for two 'settlements' does this mean it had to be two areas of a city or will the case studies i have used by ok?
Any predictions for Geog2?

Haven't started revision yet!!
dif u have yo compare coz i made seperste points.
Original post by mogmeister
if your areas were contrasting then im pretty sure you shall get some marks, however not the top bands. Talking about pollution is relevant im pretty sure, as long as you did link it to higher density levels in the city. In my answer for this question, i talked about ethnicity, transport and the types of housing.

did u have to compare coz i made seperste points...
Now that's done. Is everyone prepared for GEOG2?
Reply 592
Oh yeah thats what i did! Just evaluated it! Yeah we should be fine!!! I feel i wrote it well so hopefully go the top mark band!!! I felt my CHD 15marker flopped! Forgot how to tackle it! So annoyed haha just used gernic points really
Original post by Olijm

Also for the Antartica Q, as it was more about the issues with it being used etc i just started off by talking about tourism uses as they arrive by boat etc and issues can arise by damage to flora/fauna, oil spillages like HS Explorer etc and how delecate the ecosystem is blah blah but then i started to say something like "however there are treaties to manage this to help preserve eg the Atlantic Treaty 1969 which is mandatory and signed by 45 countries etc and then said about the IAATO and described that alittle. But then i started to think i wasnt answering the Q so i said however the IAATO is voluntary so tour oporators may not follow this which could damage the wilderness etc (even though most do but didnt say that haha). Then thought i'd chuck in the Madrid protocol and how in 2048 it could be over turned threatening mining to take place etc.. Does this all sound okay? Wasn't too sure if it answered the Q as i thought the angle was abit
wierd!!

I wrote the same as you here. I thought the question lacked clarity and i didn't really know how to tackle it, but i just kept evaluating whether the issues threatened the wilderness after my main points to keep it on the question etc. Hopefully we'll be fine!
Reply 594
yeah any geog 2 predictions? as its the only AS exam I'm retaking
Original post by ArbinderSingh98
Dw im sure u picked up marks in the other part forget about it its done :smile:

Did you resit unit 1? How is your brain not overwhelmed with information?
Reply 596
Original post by balanced
Um CHD is it's not a disease......

CHD and Obesity they are bothe diseases of affluence.
for the uganda question, i was unsure as I wondered if i was supposed to put about it progressing to stage 5 and going through, as that sounds kind of funny Uganda in that stage if it ever gets there, also put about wide middle cohort when it gets to stage 4 and ageing population, would that get me enough marks? i did say how it would go through the stages but also clearly stated that it is in stage 2 of the DTM, as my teachers told me that there is no country in stage 1 apparently..??

also for the population 15 marker, when they said 'two settlements' did they mean- two areas within the city, or comparing this to another city. I just did newcastle and talked about the rural settlement comparing it to the inner city area..?
It was open ended
Original post by Zara0526
Are you referring to the Essex casestudy? i talked about how Essex was doing managed retreat and marshland recreation. So i mentioned a bit how thr marshland formed and how it was sustainable, cheap, efficent stopped coastal squeeze and would only need to be looked at again in about 100 years time to stop the salt marsh from continuously retreating into an Urban area. Oh and how Amersham Farm needed compensating.

you need to write about areas of hard engineering as that protects the coast the best and has more impact on people's lives as they are saved, best study was to talk about holderness where there are loads of options scattered over the coastline

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending