The Student Room Group

C1 Maths AS aqa 2016 (unofficial mark scheme new)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by beanigger
im not sure :tongue:

Because i literally have no idea whether i got it
Original post by gandalf029
Posted from TSR Mobile

It definitely said 3 linear factors. But one was a repeated root. So I guess as long as you put (x-4)^2 I guess you'll get the mark

if they are harsh they will not accept (x-4)^2 because it did say in the question three linear factors i know that it was a repeated root but aqa can be very stoosh with this stuff
i just hope ~60 will be an A lol
4d at the of that quadratic is "-14" not +14
Reply 224
What was the question where you had to find the second derivative and then verify a maximum point where x = -1.5
I've seen 12x-27 as the second derivative but then people sub in and get 45 so minimum but shouldn't it be -45 and a maximum when x = -1.5
i just hope ~60 will be an A lol

k=20 and k=4

btw the question was show that the line and curve only intersect at one point, so you had to do b2-4ac=0 and it gave you k=4 k=20

great job on the mark scheme though looks roughly spot on
Reply 226
that makes sense thanks a lot for clearing that up for me. So if I wrote, translation by vector (-1/2,41/4) as my answer. would I get two marks for that ?
can anyone tell me how to work out 1c to find out k just to make sure
Original post by Igzzy__
that makes sense thanks a lot for clearing that up for me. So if I wrote, translation by vector (-1/2,41/4) as my answer. would I get two marks for that ?

If it was three marks then you'd get a mark for saying translation
then one for -1/2 and one for 41/4 I'm guessing.
Yeah I don't see why you wouldn't get two marks for that.
Original post by Agent R5
k=20 and k=4

btw the question was show that the line and curve only intersect at one point, so you had to do b2-4ac=0 and it gave you k=4 k=20

great job on the mark scheme though looks roughly spot on

which question number was that ?
and thanks :biggrin:
Original post by SM-
What was the question where you had to find the second derivative and then verify a maximum point where x = -1.5
I've seen 12x-27 as the second derivative but then people sub in and get 45 so minimum but shouldn't it be -45 and a maximum when x = -1.5

well the co ordinate u had was x=-1.5 and u had to prove that was a minimum by first proving it was a stationary point (showing that the dy/dx of that x was zero) then subbing into second derivative to get a positive value which showed it was a minimum as second derivative was greater than 0
Original post by saaidq
It should be 34right?

(-2-5)2 +(1+3)2 = 65
I think 7a was finding the tangent of the curve at P and part b was finding the x-coordinate of Q but I'm not entirely sure
Reply 233
You know for question 5d), to find the point B, do we use the mid point method to find it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
which question number was that ?
and thanks :biggrin:

Sorry im not entirely sure on that but I remember writing k=20 and k=4 near the end so either question 7/8
Original post by Jin99
You know for question 5d), to find the point B, do we use the mid point method to find it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, it was using the idea that C is the midpoint. Since AB is a diameter, the center of AB is C, meaning C is the midpoint of AB.

Since you know A and C, you can just literally use your head to work out B and just write the coordinate down, as it would be a mark for the x coordinate and a mark for the y coordinate.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Chickenslayer69
Yes, it was using the idea that C is the midpoint. Since AB is a diameter, the center of AB is C, meaning C is the midpoint of AB.

Since you know A and C, you can just literally use your head to work out B and just write the coordinate down, as it would be a mark for the x coordinate and a mark for the y coordinate.

Did that question using vectors :C Still got (12,-7)
(edited 7 years ago)
if they are harsh they will not accept (x-4)^2 because it did say in the question three linear factors i know that it was a repeated root but aqa can be very stoosh with this stuff

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hopefully enough people put (x-4)^2 for it to go to a referral so it'll get accepted
Original post by Parhomus
Did that question using vectors :C Still got (12,-7)

If you got the answer correct, you will get the 2 marks.
Reply 239
Do you know what either the 1st or 2nd derivative was?
well the co ordinate u had was x=-1.5 and u had to prove that was a minimum by first proving it was a stationary point (showing that the dy/dx of that x was zero) then subbing into second derivative to get a positive value which showed it was a minimum as second derivative was greater than 0
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending