The Student Room Group

C1 Maths AS aqa 2016 (unofficial mark scheme new)

Scroll to see replies

Can someone confirm that m= -5/3 for 1a?
Original post by Igzzy__
that makes sense thanks a lot for clearing that up for me. So if I wrote, translation by vector (-1/2,41/4) as my answer. would I get two marks for that ?

I wrote that too, are we wrong ?
Original post by yasaminO_o
I think 7a was finding the tangent of the curve at P and part b was finding the x-coordinate of Q but I'm not entirely sure

wasnt that six thought seven a and b was a differentiation then also 2nd derivative to find out if there was a minimum point
Original post by Thequickspark

Correct.
Original post by GabbytheGreek_48
wasnt that six thought seven a and b was a differentiation then also 2nd derivative to find out if there was a minimum point

That was 8 :P
MARK SCHEME UPDATE:

Mark scheme is attached. Some answers are missing - please comment below if you know them!
Original post by timtjtim
That was 8 :P

lol ohh well it was somewhere too many questions
Original post by GabbytheGreek_48

I think you are talking about question 8 for the dy/dx stuff. It was right at the end of the paper.
I found this paper kinda hard do you think the grade boundaries will be lower?
Reply 249
It was
(2k^2-9k+18)>0
I guess :yes:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by beanigger
Unoffical Mark scheme for C1 AQA 2016

It would help if you could link answers to questions as i cant remember them :smile:

Questions:

1) a)Asked to work out gradient of a tangent, m= - 5/3 [2]
b)Asked to find co-ordinates of B B( - 3,4) [3]
c)Asked to find K K= - 30 [2]

2) a) simplify (3√5)^2 = 45 [1]
b) i cant remember the question but the answer was 75 - 32√5 [4]

3) a) y=(x-7/2)^2 - 41/4
b) min value = -41/4 [1]
c) Translation of (1/2 , 41/4)

4) a) show that (x+3) was a factor of x^3 - 5x^2 -8x + 48, p(-3) = 0, (x+3) is a factor of p(x).
b) three linear factors of p(x) = (x+3)(x-4)(x-4)
c) find remainder when p(x) was divided by (x+2) R=20
d) Factorise p(x) using (x+2) R = (x-2)(x^2-3x-14) + 20 [3]

5) a) asked to find equation of circle (x-5)^2+(y+3)^2=65 (note 65 = r^2) [3]
b) asked to find co-ordinates of B (AB is diameter) B ( 12, -7) [2]
c) asked to find equation of tangent at A 7x-4y+18=0 [5]
d) asked to find length of CT = 9 [2]

6) a) y=-32x-40
b)Q(-5/4) [1]
c) upside down positive graph passing through y axis at 8 [2]
d) x = -1±√5

7) a)
b)
c) definite integral = = 81 /4 [5]
d) area of shaded region = = 45/4 [3]

8) a) d^2y/dx^2= - 2x - 9x^2 [2]
b) verify that P was a minimum point sub x co-ordinate of P into dy/dx (given in the question) to prove it was a stationary point, then sub in x-coord of p into d^2y/dx^2 to get +45, d^2y/dx^2>0 therefore minimum point [4]
c) show that y is decreasing, so make your dy/dx<0 and rearrange to get into the form they wanted (note when you multiply by -1 the inequality sign flips)
d) cant remember anything except the answers were k>6 and k<-3/2

Answers that need a question to be assigned to
- k=4 and k=20

What are we thinking of grade boundaries people? 2015 = 64 for an A, and i feel this year the integral question/many fractions made it a bit harder so i personally feel it will be between 59 and 63, probably 61/2 though. Thoughts?
Original post by timtjtim
MARK SCHEME UPDATE:

Mark scheme is attached. Some answers are missing - please comment below if you know them!

b) verify that P was a minimum point sub x co-ordinate of P into dy/dx (given in the question) to prove it was a stationary point, then sub in x-coord of p into d^2y/dx^2 to get +45, d^2y/dx^2>0 therefore minimum point [4]

c)show that y is decreasing, so make your dy/dx<0 and rearrange to get into the form they wanted (note when you multiply by -1 the inequality sign flips)

d) cant remember anything except the answers were k>6 and k<-3/2 "

I believe these are correct?
Reply 252
Original post by Thequickspark

Yes , AB was 5x+3y+3=0 & the line with the equation y=mx +(whatever it was) was parallel
Reply 253
Original post by Chickenslayer69

c)show that y is decreasing, so make your dy/dx<0 and rearrange to get into the form they wanted (note when you multiply by -1 the inequality sign flips)

Correct
Does anyone think the grade boundaries might be the lowest they've ever been this year? I've done every single past paper and This was just vile. There's an old paper (2013?) where it was like 56 for an A or something and that was way easier than this.
Reply 255
Original post by RueXO
Does anyone think the grade boundaries might be the lowest they've ever been this year? I've done every single past paper and This was just vile. There's an old paper (2013?) where it was like 56 for an A or something and that was way easier than this.

It's very likely for the grade boundaries to be lower rather than higher, but if an A is less than 60 It'll be a pleasant suprise
Reply 256
My brain stopped working on question 7 😠😢😠😢 because i made a mistake somewhere so i spent about 20 minutes on it(mainly staring blankly...and crying inside 😥) so I'm pretty sure it was as follows:

a) answer was y=-32x - 40

b)find x coordinate of axis intersect (of Q i think?)

c) the 5 marker integration question: 81/4

d) shaded area (I believe you used the x coordinate you found of on part b to find the area of the triangle) .: area= 45/4

The point is, i somehow got y=-32x - 26 for part a so i got part b and c wrong too. Anybody know how many marks was it for QUESTION 7 PART A, B & D?!?

Thank you 😄
Mark Scheme with some workings etc.
Original post by Chickenslayer69

Boy it's late. I'll add these into V3, tomorrow - thankyou!
Reply 259
Lol!!! According to ur answers I prob failed this exam. I don't know how u guys managed to get x=-1+_ root5. Because I got root-5, I know that is wrong.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending