The Student Room Group

OFFICIAL: GCSE AQA Chemistry - C1- Higher- 19th May 2016 - AM

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Adzkii786
I put "the higher position of an element in the reactivity series, the faster it will react" will i get 1 mark
also i put the potassium didnt go cloudy "temperature wasnt high engough so the potassium didnt decompose to form co2 and thus the limewater didnt go cloudy" (atleast 2 out of 3 marks?

"the higher position of an element in the reactivity series, the faster it will react"

This is wrong. Sorry. It doesn't react faster, it just needs a higher temp. The elements above Carbon are very UNREACTIVE.

The second part seems fine, basically what I wrote.
Reply 221
I'm predicting grade boundaries to be about 50 for an A* and probably 56 for full UMS.
Original post by ruadb0y
Did you all get the percentage (working out 1 gram of fuel used) question? Literally spent 10 mins on it lol

Left that whole page and went back to it at the end with 15 mins spare. At first glance I had no idea how to figure out the calculation and didn;t want to waste time. This is an equation/formula we weren't even given a sniff off so I don't think many people knew it straight away - albeit was straightforward maths.
Reply 223
Original post by Lauren0812
So easy

Can u tell me i did not wite question 2 in continous prise but i got it right so how many marks can i get for that
Original post by redsoules
Water boils at a higher temp than Ethanol.
Ethanol evaporates and condenses in the condensor column.
After condensing the drop/drippings/droplets fall into a separate beaker to form pure ethanol.

(this is a shorter and concise answer than I wrote)

EDIT: Fractional distillation will most likely get you no marks. This is not the same process as normal distillation.

You are wrong. AQQ usually accept simple distillation but Fractional Distillation is the exact process for separating 2 liquids with similar boiling points.
Left that whole page and went back to it at the end with 15 mins spare. At first glance I had no idea how to figure out the calculation and didn;t want to waste time. This is an equation/formula we weren't even given a sniff off so I don't think many people knew it straight away - albeit was straightforward maths.

Yeah it wasn't mentioned at all in the specification as far as I am aware. Perhaps they expect it to be common sense..?
Original post by DrPeter
You are wrong. AQA usually accept simple distillation but Fractional Distillation is the exact process for separating 2 liquids with similar boiling points.

Really? A quick google search of distillation and the first thing that appears is the distillation of ethanol and water?
Reply 227
Original post by ruadb0y
Yeah it wasn't mentioned at all in the specification as far as I am aware. Perhaps they expect it to be common sense..?

the one where 20.3 was the answer?
Original post by Ads.m

Yeah mate
Reply 229
Original post by Ads.m

Yep
Original post by Ads.m

Indeed. Simple calculation, got it correct as well. Just no mention (to my memory) in class on how to do so. Again, it was basic maths but it was a TEST question - more incline to how well you can read the question and figure out the maths involved. Truly a time wasting - time testing question. Can't remember how many marks it was worth though.
Indeed. Simple calculation, got it correct as well. Just no mention (to my memory) in class on how to do so. Again, it was basic maths but it was a TEST question - more incline to how well you can read the question and figure out the maths involved. Truly a time wasting - time testing question. Can't remember how many marks it was worth though.

It was worth 2 marks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mad ting dis paper was cake. I could have eaten it if i wanted to. :troll:
Original post by jackbarry1999
I just said that there was no mass deducted and there was no co2 being produced because the limewater didn't turn cloudy

i said that there was insufficient heating to thermally decompose the potassium carbonate so no carbon dioxide was releasd to make the limewater cloudy
Reply 234
do you think i will get a mark if i wrote bromine water goes transparent bc i thought it was specifically asking for the colour
Original post by trollface54
i said that there was insufficient heating to thermally decompose the potassium carbonate so no carbon dioxide was releasd to make the limewater cloudy

Same 💁🏼💁🏼

Posted from TSR Mobile
For that question where it asks to give 2 reasons why hexane is the best fuel from Table 2, I wrote that it gives out the most energy which is correct according to the mark scheme but for the second point I wrote that the table shows it has the shortest hydrocarbon chains which means its the most flammable. Would that give me two marks?
Reply 237
Original post by mxn
do you think i will get a mark if i wrote bromine water goes transparent bc i thought it was specifically asking for the colour

No, you have to say colourless. :frown:
Original post by mxn

Sorry I doubt it. It usually asks specifically for "colorless"
Reply 239
Original post by TrumpIsFancy
For that question where it asks to give 2 reasons why hexane is the best fuel from Table 2, I wrote that it gives out the most energy which is correct according to the mark scheme but for the second point I wrote that the table shows it has the shortest hydrocarbon chains which means its the most flammable. Would that give me two marks?

I said less of it was used up in the reaction

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending