The Student Room Group

AS AQA Geography GEOG1 17th and GEOG2 20th May 2016

Scroll to see replies

Can someone please explain dispersion graphs to me. How do you find the range? And the interquartile range?
Reply 881
Original post by abrack
I'm not sure, but i thought everyone's fieldwork was rivers-based? All i can suggest is going ti see your teacher ASAP tomorrow morning!

Best of luck.

Our fieldwork was about sand dunes so it depends what your class is doing, whatever topic your teacher choose they will have chosen it so you can answer the exam so don't panic ☺️
Reply 882
Original post by EmmaL178
Can someone please explain dispersion graphs to me. How do you find the range? And the interquartile range?

The range is the largest value in your data set subtract the smallest value in the set

But the IQR is Q3 - Q1, and I would suggest watching a quick video to understand if you don't know because I think I'll just confuse you 😁
Reply 883
Original post by Korrie_F
Any predictions on whether section 1 will be on human or physical?

It's normally on rivers and population topics
Reply 884
Original post by indecisiveness
ohh right.. but it isnt necessary to have a null hypothesis then right? is it fine if i just use hypothesis?

Yeah thats fine - I only know it through psychology! It isn't really necessary unless your findings didn't meet the initial hypothesis.
Original post by Sam_99
The range is the largest value in your data set subtract the smallest value in the set

But the IQR is Q3 - Q1, and I would suggest watching a quick video to understand if you don't know because I think I'll just confuse you 😁

Okay! Thanks!
Any ideas for what might come up in the skills paper tomorrow?
Original post by OliwierEB
I heard about the triangular graphs too, they haven't been included since the start of the specification I think.

Hydrographs too
Just been through all the past papers (section B Geog2) and listed issues if someone can answer them for me based on Rivers as the core theme

Problems
1)Outline and Justify one method of data collection
2)Technique used to present data
3)When answering AIMS question mark scheme says for higher marks to "outline underlying issue/theory and how it relates to aims" what does this mean?
4)Evaluate one primary data collection
5)How/Why you used secondary data
6)Technique to analyse data with advantages
7)Describe a sampling technique to collect data
8)Suggest further areas for research
9)Evaluate your investigation
Does anyone have an idea on what the justification part of the question requires you to do? For example if it asks you to 'describe and justify a method of primary data collection?
Original post by jackbliverpool
If I were to not get the grade I was hoping for in UNIT 1 (May 2016), is it still possible to retake it again next year with the same spec? (May 2017) Even though the spec is changing for September 2016?

I asked my teacher the same thing because I'm pretty sure I failed unit 1 and he said that we would have the same specification as this year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kholland
Does anyone have an idea on what the justification part of the question requires you to do? For example if it asks you to 'describe and justify a method of primary data collection?

You need to explain why your method was good or bad and say if there were any anomalies
Original post by s0phxoxoxo
You need to explain why your method was good or bad and say if there were any anomalies

Ah right, that's straightforward enough - thank you!
Original post by geographygenius2
Right ive seen all the predictions etc but rather be fully prepared.

How could I answer how my enquiry improved my understanding of the topic area? (did bradshaws model and rivers)
Also if asked about how ict could be used what could i say?

thanks in advance

What are this years full predictions ive left it so late and im confused trying to scroll through this feed! can anyone help!?? thanks!!
Reply 894
Help on this question if you're doing about a river?
Describe the characteristic features of your study area. (5)
If the exam asks us to complete work for Standard Deviation or Spearman's Rank, they will give us the data correct?
as i am only learning 3 peices of data for 3 different variables
Original post by tmifan

River was 7 km long, sites 1-6 were in wooded areas whilst sites 7&8 were in more open spaces. The upper sites were in a large V shaped valley and the whole area was easily accessible. The river ran through 2 settlements, Holford and Kilve.

I can't really think of anything else to say so thats probably not 5 marks, so if anyone else could add stuff it would be good
Reply 897
What are the disadvantages of systematic sampling?
Reply 898
Original post by tmifan

1. The river Chess is a tributary of the river Colne, which in turn is a tributary of the River Thames
2. River chess drainage basin is 105km^ & flows approximately 18km from source to confluence
3. Rock type:chalk
4. River flows through some rural and urban areas
5. Some parts of the river have undergone hard-engineering (such as channel straightening) to manage flooding
What is GIS

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending