The Student Room Group

Guardian University League Tables 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sweeneyrod
My favourite is The Liverpool Institute for Performing Arts above KCL... I wasn't aware Computer Science was an art at all, let alone a performance one.

Sound technology counts as some sort of IT ...
Original post by Incongruous
Sound technology counts as some sort of IT ...

Apparently so! And apparently someone thought it would be helpful to compare it with Computer Science courses, after all they both involve electricity.
Reply 22
All of these different tables show completely different values for the universities that I'm considering, should I even bother looking at these?
we jumped 13 places woo lol
Reply 24
Original post by PostGrad221
Surrey and Loughborough at 4.
Lancaster 8.

All the while, the London School of Economics and UCL are nowhere to be found.

These rankings are pure banter and an utter load of *******s.

Original post by stevey396
What a load of ********. Surrey, Loughborough and Lancaster at least 20 places too high. How LSE and UCL can be regarded as being below somewhere like Lancaster is outrageous.

So much butthurt
#LoughboroughWalkOnWater
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 25
Funniest rankings I've ever seen
Reply 26
Coventry above UCL and LSE for economics

[video="youtube;v5Zue3Khdno"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5Zue3Khdno[/video]
Original post by Exceptional
Ludicrous because satisfaction depends on your expectations relative to the course/uni, and it's easier to exceed the expectations of a student at a lower quality institution than at a high calibre one with a similar investment.

This isn't quite it. Satisfaction surveys are (expensively) conducted by all businesses and seen as a reliable indicative metric. And it isn't the case in the airline industry, for example, that Cathay Pacific scores poorly for customer satisfaction because people supposed it would be even better than it is while Aeroflot does well for only managing a safe landing.

Rather, a problem here is that the satisfaction surveys are conducted at the end of the course. Now, if I get into, say Imperial and am dissatisfied, still I'll stick with it for the promise of an Imperial degree, and moan at the end when given the chance to. At a less prestigious institution, the people who are disgruntled only leave, thus removing themselves from the to-be-surveyed cohort.

Note: this interpretation is owing to @nulli tertius
Loughborough are smashing it at the moment. What are they doing that ranks them so highly?
Original post by Tom__
All of these different tables show completely different values for the universities that I'm considering, should I even bother looking at these?

Which unis are you considering and for which subject?
When people pick their uni off Guardian rankings and try to tell people they went to a top uni :giggle:
The banter of the civil engineering table, the ranking of a BBB university each year:
2014: 3rd
2015: 1st
2016: 2nd
2017: below top 30
St Andrews is 3rd??? Surrey and Loughborough are 4th?! Lancaster is 8th?!?!?!?!?! You must be kidding me please don't follow league tables guys it's a load of marketing and bias.
Reply 33
Original post by She-Ra
Loughborough are smashing it at the moment. What are they doing that ranks them so highly?

No idea, but probably a lot to do with the student experience.
Original post by rosemondtan
St Andrews is 3rd??? Surrey and Loughborough are 4th?! Lancaster is 8th?!?!?!?!?! You must be kidding me please don't follow league tables guys it's a load of marketing and bias.

You name 4 very good universities but, because they're not in the order according to your own specific bias, the league table is wrong and clearly has an ulterior motive.
Reply 34
Original post by She-Ra
Which unis are you considering and for which subject?

York, Lancaster undecided on the rest and studying Computer Science
Reply 35
You could go to an amazing uni like Oxford (of course who would turn them down?) However my friend who got an offer from Cambridge turned them down and chose Durham to do Physics there instead. The league tables don't lie - obviously students must be getting some really good stuff out of these uni's regardless of their name. People should stop looking at universities like Southampton, Leicester, Lancaster, Bristol or Bath with inferiority and actually credit them for the success they are making. I'm proud that I'll be applying to either of these uni's, because I'm looking at what i'll get out of my £9,000 a year of education.
Reply 36
St Andrews is 3rd???

St Andrews is usually ranked in the top five.
Herts 94th! Shock, horror!

Pfft, hark at her... Someone who bases various aspects of University purely on prestige. Really? Do you even have any university offers?
Original post by jneill
Just published their rankings:

1 Cambridge
2 Oxford
3 St Andrews
4= Surrey
4= Loughborough (up from 11)
6 Durham
7 Imperial
8 Lancaster
9 Warwick
10 Bath

http://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2016/may/23/university-league-tables-2017?CMP=fb_gu

Weighing for these rankings must be whack, because there is no way Surrey is my fourth choice out of those universities. Previous VC focused on league tables though, as many students do still take them seriously as a reflection of quality.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending