The Student Room Group

Ocr f321 , f322 retakes on 27/05/16 and 10/06/16

Scroll to see replies

Kicking myself for not remembering sf6 molecule's name, after exam checked the book and to my surprise... the name isn't even included! Also was the empirical formula of acid hno3? I'm guessing 60/60 for 90 ums eh
Same, got 280+920=1200
Got spherical and Dunbell shape.

Made a stupid mistake with the weight 3 mark question to 3sf. I got 0.1198... Rounded to 0.1208 😢😢
Reply 42
Original post by Rust Cohle
HNO2. Question stated that it was not redox reaction therefore N could not have changed oxidation number meaning couldn't be HNO3

Yeah I got HNO2!
HNO2. Question stated that it was not redox reaction therefore N could not have changed oxidation number meaning couldn't be HNO3

But isn't redox when both oxidation and reduction occurs? when it forms hno3, nitrogen is reduced/oxidised (can't remember) and everything else remains the same oxidation state?
But yes, you are correct cause i tried every possible combination and couldn't balance the equation with hno3, completely forgot about the possibility of an no2- ion
Original post by PeacefulSniper
But isn't redox when both oxidation and reduction occurs? when it forms hno3, nitrogen is reduced/oxidised (can't remember) and everything else remains the same oxidation state?
But yes, you are correct cause i tried every possible combination and couldn't balance the equation with hno3, completely forgot about the possibility of an no2- ion

Ignore me, when something becomes reduced another thing has to become oxidised lol, stupid me.
Reply 45
Q: state the relative energies of 2s² and 2p6 orbital; also state relative energies of each 2p orbital. [2]

A: s orbital lower energy than p orbital; each p orbital has same energy level.

Defo got that wrong then , 😂
Reply 46
Original post by gracamole
everyone came out of the exam here complaining they found it difficult, but i dont understand why, that 5 mark question was a bit dodgy though but other than that I thought it was a much better paper than last year[/QUO

For me I revised all the hard stuff and did the hard past paper questions I forgot the simple and easy stuff and that paper had A LOT of simple formula questions and non of the hard topics. So I ended up finding that paper difficult. -____- guess I have to ace f322.
Reply 47
What did everyone do for the dot andcross of Ca3P2? I did ionic bonding so 3 Ca2+ and 2 P3+
Someone told me there might be covalent bonding within the ionic maybe not sure

For the 5 marker, i put 2 tests
Add bromine to something chloride (turns orange)
Add bromine to calcium iodide (turns pink)
Shows rectivity decreases down group.
And then the ionic eq

What did people write for the galium ques?

I put ga3+

Think i put hno3 but answer must be hno2. Wish i recognised the n never reduced or oxidised

For the gases produced i put 1200cm3

For the grams of something thats 3sf i put 0.120 cause my answer was 0.1198

When others reply i'll put more answers up

Annoyed with orbital question.
I said s is lower than all p orbitals. But p orbital energy levels increase fromm1st to 3rd (im an idiot, all 3 are the same as someone mentioned to me after exam)

Also the ionisation energy/mp ques saying which elements to choose: i put N has lowest mp.. urghhhhh
Original post by zirak46
What did everyone do for the dot andcross of Ca3P2? I did ionic bonding so 3 Ca2+ and 2 P3+
Someone told me there might be covalent bonding within the ionic maybe not sure

For the 5 marker, i put 2 tests
Add bromine to something chloride (turns orange)
Add bromine to calcium iodide (turns pink)
Shows rectivity decreases down group.
And then the ionic eq

What did people write for the galium ques?

I put ga3+

Think i put hno3 but answer must be hno2. Wish i recognised the n never reduced or oxidised

For the gases produced i put 1200cm3

For the grams of something thats 3sf i put 0.120 cause my answer was 0.1198

When others reply i'll put more answers up

Annoyed with orbital question.
I said s is lower than all p orbitals. But p orbital energy levels increase fromm1st to 3rd (im an idiot, all 3 are the same as someone mentioned to me after exam)

Also the ionisation energy/mp ques saying which elements to choose: i put N has lowest mp.. urghhhhh

I did ionic bonding between 3 Ca2+ and 1 double bonded p2 with 6- charge

AND ARGHH I put N too as i thought least electrons -> weakest van der waals
Reply 49

AND ARGHH I put N too as i thought least electrons -> weakest van der waals

YES OMG SAME FOR GOODNESS SAKE

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 50
Original post by safhassan
guuuys how was it ... pretty good compared to last year. MaYBE after doin A2 that's why I find it easy. But I have to agree that, that 5 marker was dodgy. the rest was ok. Everyone got NaF for the one with the mr of 42.. I didn't get it. However if I did this paper last year I would've found it challenging. So what did everyone write about the s and p orbital thing.

I didn't get the NaF one. Also didn't get the dot and cross agh. Everything else was ok. What did you put for the highest melting point(?) and the fourth ionisation energy or something. I can't remember what the exact questions were haha
Reply 51
Kicking myself for not remembering sf6 molecule's name, after exam checked the book and to my surprise... the name isn't even included! Also was the empirical formula of acid hno3? I'm guessing 60/60 for 90 ums eh

OCR are seriously so unhelpful in terms of revision guides. So many times they've asked stuff that isn't even mentioned! I got it on a guess but I'm sure you've picked up lots of marks elsewhere😀
Reply 52
What was the redox question in terms of electron transfer? I didnt check that at the end and feel like I wrote it the wrong way around grr
Original post by annaj97
What was the redox question in terms of electron transfer? I didnt check that at the end and feel like I wrote it the wrong way around grr

The metal solid you added lost 2 electrons (oxidised), the initial metal ion gained 2 electrons (reduced) back into a metal solid?
Reply 54
Original post by BanterBus
The metal solid you added lost 2 electrons (oxidised), the initial metal ion gained 2 electrons (reduced) back into a metal solid?

Do you remember the equation?
Original post by annaj97
Do you remember the equation?

Not fully sorry :frown: All i remember is that there was a salt with 2- and 2+ ions, in which the 2+ metal ion was replaced by another metal. Someone will remember i'm sure! ^^
Reply 56
Original post by BanterBus
Not fully sorry :frown: All i remember is that there was a salt with 2- and 2+ ions, in which the 2+ metal ion was replaced by another metal. Someone will remember i'm sure! ^^

No worries! I'm really hoping I wrote it the right way around as those were easy marks!
Reply 57
I put the 5 marker:

Bromine with aqueous idione - turns purple as bromine displaces the ions.
Did the equation
Then put bromine with barium chloride - no reaction as it doesnt displace chlorine so no colour change.
Then put the reactivity decreases down the group.

Not too sure if correct:smile:

and for the last question i put 3x Ca2+ and 2x P3- with 3 electrons donated to the P from the Ca.
Reply 58
Made some stupid mistskes
Balanced an equation wrong, got the acid wrong and literally by accident but dipoler never t distomic hoping if im still in the 50's ill get an A?
Original post by Lannew1
Made some stupid mistskes
Balanced an equation wrong, got the acid wrong and literally by accident but dipoler never t distomic hoping if im still in the 50's ill get an A?

Imo it was easier than last years paper, although you could tell they were trying to throw us off on more questions this time around (least number of test-tubes for the 5 marker, oxidation state of O in OF2, 3S.F to give 0.120 etc) 49-50 is my guess for an A, although I can totally understand why you'd lose lots of marks on the paper so maybe it'll be lower. I'm sure you'll be fine with 50's out of 60 for an A

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending