The Student Room Group
Our Student Central, Northumbria University
Northumbria University, Newcastle
Newcastle-upon-Tyne

Northumbria student here: ask me anything!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by wincist
Hi, I'm applying for a 2 years master in business, with an internship placement in year 2 at the school's clinic. Do you have any information about that internship? And how is the part-time jobs opportunities for international students there? Thanks for answering :biggrin:

Hey Wincist, which country are you from? I wouldn't exactly spend an extra 2k for an internship year, which to be honest you'll have to source yourself. You don't need to pay an extra 2k to get an internship, my advice is to go with the internship option end of year $596. I personally think unis that charge you for an internship are absolute scams. Also, 9/10 times, you'll end up interning at an SME where you'll be fetching coffee and photocopying.
Our Student Central, Northumbria University
Northumbria University, Newcastle
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Reply 21
Original post by blackswan91
Hey Wincist, which country are you from? I wouldn't exactly spend an extra 2k for an internship year, which to be honest you'll have to source yourself. You don't need to pay an extra 2k to get an internship, my advice is to go with the internship option end of year $596. I personally think unis that charge you for an internship are absolute scams. Also, 9/10 times, you'll end up interning at an SME where you'll be fetching coffee and photocopying.

Hi I'm from Vietnam :biggrin: I'm not very clear about the internship option end of year you mentioned, could you tell me more about it ? Thanks :smile:
Well if you don't opt for the 1 year internship thing (which is a waste of money) you can opt to do an internship at the end of your course instead which will only be about 500 pounds. Or, better still you could find an internship yourself instead of paying the uni to do it for you but they don't actually do anything other than help you write your cv and send it out to companies, which is what anyone with an internet connection can do.

As for part time job opportunities, I don't know if you're based in the Newcastle or London campus but the latter will definitely have more options.

Original post by wincist
Hi I'm from Vietnam :biggrin: I'm not very clear about the internship option end of year you mentioned, could you tell me more about it ? Thanks :smile:
Reply 23
Original post by blackswan91
Well if you don't opt for the 1 year internship thing (which is a waste of money) you can opt to do an internship at the end of your course instead which will only be about 500 pounds. Or, better still you could find an internship yourself instead of paying the uni to do it for you but they don't actually do anything other than help you write your cv and send it out to companies, which is what anyone with an internet connection can do.

As for part time job opportunities, I don't know if you're based in the Newcastle or London campus but the latter will definitely have more options.

I will be in Newcastle :biggrin: are you also going to Northumbria ? How is the experience of studying there ?
what course are you doing?

what made you choose northumbria?

did you have a part time job before you started placement?

how far did you live away from northumbria before you started going to uni there?
Reply 25
Original post by BrendonJohnson
what course are you doing?

I'm doing Computer Games Programming, although it's been replaced with Computer Science and Games Development starting this September.

what made you choose northumbria?

I liked everything about the university - the course was the main selling point as it covered all the subject areas I wanted to learn, but I also loved how I could find everything in the city that I needed (and not have to walk miles) and that the campus is pretty modern.

did you have a part time job before you started placement?

I had a few over the years haha. I was a Glass Collector at an executive bar in St James' Park for a season and a half, but I gave that up when moving to my placement. I'm currently a student event rep at Northumbria (one of those people in the orange shirts on open days) and I also worked for the SU for a few months. Before moving to uni I had had no work experience (apart from a paper round).

how far did you live away from northumbria before you started going to uni there?

I live in Leeds at the minute (it's where I'm from and where my placement is).
Reply 26
Hi there, when do you get a moving in date? do they email you? I did a BTEC course at college so I have no exams to do. I already have my grade or is it after all exams?
Reply 27
Original post by mrbolton
Hi there, when do you get a moving in date? do they email you? I did a BTEC course at college so I have no exams to do. I already have my grade or is it after all exams?

What accommodation? If sign up is anything like when I applied, I think I got my move in date when I was allocated accommodation on results day. It's normally the weekend before Fresher's Week, so will be between the 8th-11th of September (accommodation move in is often staggered over a period of dates so not everyone turns up at once). If you want to move in early, it could probably be arranged with whichever halls you're staying in, but you will have to pay more rent :tongue:.
Hi! I'll be doing Fashion Communication this year and just got offered a room at Winn Studios but I am also looking into Liberty Quay Studios (Formerly known as Student Castle). Can you give me an opinion about the two places as well as location?

Also, I am not a very sociable person but I'm scared I won't get close to anyone if I choose LBQ Studios but I really do like the rooms and it's cheaper. I'll be a first year too.
Reply 29
Hey, I'm a first year physio student and currently looking for accommodation.
I have seen stepney yard and liberty plaza which both look very pleasant and would like your opinion about them if possible.
Also, would you recommend on campus or off campus accommodation for a first year?
Finally, do most students opt for on campus accommodation or off campus?

Thank you!!
:P
Hey, hope I'm not too late with my question, but I was just wondering, for someone who lives in another part of Newcastle, what is the best/cheapest/easiest way of travelling to the Uni on a daily basis, if need be? Thanks! x
Reply 31
I've retired this thread - please post your questions in this one!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending