The Student Room Group

Northumbria or Newcastle University for Computer Science

Hey there, I'm an international student about to further my studies in the UK and I've got offers from both Northumbria (unconditional) and Newcastle (conditional) for BSc in Computer Science. I am applying for a scholarship now and it requires me to choose between these two universities. While I have read that Newcastle is a better option (mainly due to its ranking in the league tables), I too believe that Northumbria isn't a bad option either.

What concerns me now is my funding. My close friend and I actually got an offer from both universities. Although both of us would be sponsored, my friend had her sponsor to only pay for her tuition fees which is also limited to a certain amount, as in, 100% for Northumbria while about 75% for Newcastle. This is mainly due to the huge difference in the amount of the tuition fees from both universities.

Well, my original plan was to support both of us with my funding (I will receive more than enough for my living cost alone) if I choose Northumbria. On the other hand, both of us would need to do part-time jobs to cover our living expenses (rent, food etc) if we decided to choose Newcastle.

The only reason for me to consider Newcastle is due to its reputation, while I also wouldn't mind going to Northumbria as it was originally my backup plan if I didn't get to attend Newcastle.

Here, I need some advices. Would it better if I just stick with Northumbria and not worry about my financial stability, or should I gamble with Newcastle? I would too prefer attending Newcastle, but given the circumstances both my friend and I are in, it is fine for me after all.

Does Newcastle allow to pay their tuition fees in installments for international students? I've thought about this so at least we would be able to not worry and be financially ready if anything happens.
Reply 1
Original post by AverageStuden
Hey there, I'm an international student about to further my studies in the UK and I've got offers from both Northumbria (unconditional) and Newcastle (conditional) for BSc in Computer Science. I am applying for a scholarship now and it requires me to choose between these two universities. While I have read that Newcastle is a better option (mainly due to its ranking in the league tables), I too believe that Northumbria isn't a bad option either.

What concerns me now is my funding. My close friend and I actually got an offer from both universities. Although both of us would be sponsored, my friend had her sponsor to only pay for her tuition fees which is also limited to a certain amount, as in, 100% for Northumbria while about 75% for Newcastle. This is mainly due to the huge difference in the amount of the tuition fees from both universities.

Well, my original plan was to support both of us with my funding (I will receive more than enough for my living cost alone) if I choose Northumbria. On the other hand, both of us would need to do part-time jobs to cover our living expenses (rent, food etc) if we decided to choose Newcastle.

The only reason for me to consider Newcastle is due to its reputation, while I also wouldn't mind going to Northumbria as it was originally my backup plan if I didn't get to attend Newcastle.

Here, I need some advices. Would it better if I just stick with Northumbria and not worry about my financial stability, or should I gamble with Newcastle? I would too prefer attending Newcastle, but given the circumstances both my friend and I are in, it is fine for me after all.

Does Newcastle allow to pay their tuition fees in installments for international students? I've thought about this so at least we would be able to not worry and be financially ready if anything happens.

Why is ranking so important? Ranking of what? Employability? Student satisfaction? Skills learned? Support? Pastoral support? Ability to make new friends?

I have no idea why but students seem to put a huge emphasis on prestige of a university in the mistaken belief that going to a "good ranking" university will improve their employability. It does not. Employers couldn't give a jot about where you went. They are only interested in what you know, what skills you have and how you are going to contribute profit to their business.

So with that in mind, what do you want to do when you leave? Do either courses help with that? Does either of the courses offer a sandwich year - this is massively valuable in helping you get the experience you need to get an interview. Do the universities offer additional top up courses in employment skills like organisation, leadership and management?

Answering these questions will but much more advantageous than simply thinking that Newcastle is better because it is more prestigious.

Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by hotpud
Why is ranking so important? Ranking of what? Employability? Student satisfaction? Skills learned? Support? Pastoral support? Ability to make new friends?

I have no idea why but students seem to put a huge emphasis on prestige of a university in the mistaken belief that going to a "good ranking" university will improve their employability. It does not. Employers couldn't give a jot about where you went. They are only interested in what you know, what skills you have and how you are going to contribute profit to their business.

So with that in mind, what do you want to do when you leave? Do either courses help with that? Does either of the courses offer a sandwich year - this is massively valuable in helping you get the experience you need to get an interview. Do the universities offer additional top up courses in employment skills like organisation, leadership and management?

Answering these questions will but much more advantageous than simply thinking that Newcastle is better because it is more prestigious.

Good luck!

Hello there. First of all, thank you for replying. It has been a few days since I first posted the thread 😂.

As I mentioned above, I am a privately sponsored student. While ranking does not matter for me and I don't mind going to either of the universities, my company would much prefer if I attend a well-known university rather than the a not so well-known one. I believe this is just a preference for them, it is normal for private companies to only sponsor students that goes to prestigious universities such as Oxbridge, etc. And, I am glad enough that they considered to sponsor me for both universities, although they stated that it is preferable if I choose to attend Newcastle due to its Russell Group status (Newcastle is seen as prestigious in my country).

After my studies, I would be returning back to my home country for my work placement with the company. I have also looked through both courses and honestly both are similar on its own. What concerns me the most is, as I have stated in the main thread, my funding.

Could you enlighten me about that? Much thanks! 😁
Reply 3
Original post by AverageStuden
Hello there. First of all, thank you for replying. It has been a few days since I first posted the thread 😂.

As I mentioned above, I am a privately sponsored student. While ranking does not matter for me and I don't mind going to either of the universities, my company would much prefer if I attend a well-known university rather than the a not so well-known one. I believe this is just a preference for them, it is normal for private companies to only sponsor students that goes to prestigious universities such as Oxbridge, etc. And, I am glad enough that they considered to sponsor me for both universities, although they stated that it is preferable if I choose to attend Newcastle due to its Russell Group status (Newcastle is seen as prestigious in my country).

After my studies, I would be returning back to my home country for my work placement with the company. I have also looked through both courses and honestly both are similar on its own. What concerns me the most is, as I have stated in the main thread, my funding.

Could you enlighten me about that? Much thanks! 😁

So they have fallen for the same smoke and mirrors as everyone else. You do know that the Russel Group are only called that because some Vice Chancellors met up in a bar in Russel Square in London one day? There is absolutely nothing special about the Russel Group other than their marketing departments.

I would suggest you do an analysis of the relevant courses and decide which will be most beneficial to you. If you discover Northumberland is better then go with that, but you could also pitch to the company as to why Northumberland is better and how your learning will benefit them. You could also throw in the common misconception that Russel Group universities are somehow better.
https://www.theguardian.com/education/2023/sep/10/is-the-russell-group-still-relevant
Reply 4
Original post by hotpud
So they have fallen for the same smoke and mirrors as everyone else. You do know that the Russel Group are only called that because some Vice Chancellors met up in a bar in Russel Square in London one day? There is absolutely nothing special about the Russel Group other than their marketing departments.

I would suggest you do an analysis of the relevant courses and decide which will be most beneficial to you. If you discover Northumberland is better then go with that, but you could also pitch to the company as to why Northumberland is better and how your learning will benefit them. You could also throw in the common misconception that Russel Group universities are somehow better.
https://www.theguardian.com/education/2023/sep/10/is-the-russell-group-still-relevant
I did a thorough research for both respective university's courses, and yes, they are almost very similar to one another. With that being said, again, I don't mind going to either universities. My main concern is just my funding and the university that I ended up choosing.
Attending a university that is in a Russell Group or not isn't my concern, so does common misconceptions that people have. If I would have more time and ability to further discuss my university decision and lecture my sponsors about their wrong views on non-prestigious universities without risking my sponsorship being revoked, I would do so. I do realize I am not anyone superior but rather just a mere student that is lucky enough to get sponsored. I couldn't risk my chances as I could only follow along with them, and I hope you understand.
I am genuinely asking for people's opinions, hoping that probably someone is in the same boat as I do. So, I would also state my initial concerns. Could anyone enlighten me more about my funding? Is it possible if I could enrol in a Russell Group university together with a friend, but I would only be sponsoring both of us just for the living cost (aka living together, etc. since she will be paying for her tuition fees herself). Are there any hidden costs or any disadvantages?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending