The Student Room Group

Electrochemistry chem 5! help

(c) The cell represented below was set up under standard conditions.
Pt|Fe2+(aq), Fe3+(aq)||Tl3+(aq),Tl+(aq)|Pt Cell e.m.f. = + 0.48 V

(i) Deduce the standard electrode potential for the following half-reaction.
Tl3+(aq) + 2e– Tl+(aq)
...........................................................................................................................
...........................................................................................................................
(ii) Write an equation for the spontaneous cell reaction.

Hi everyone i did the Q did it well - apart from spontaneous reaction i got 2fe3+ + Tl3+ ====) 2Fe2+ + Tl+

This was by using the anti-clockwise rule = however - the real answer for the Q was

Tl3+ + 2 Fe2+ ===) 2Fe3+ + T1+

Need an explanation why thanks!
Original post by ahsan_ijaz
(c) The cell represented below was set up under standard conditions.
Pt|Fe2+(aq), Fe3+(aq)||Tl3+(aq),Tl+(aq)|Pt Cell e.m.f. = + 0.48 V

(i) Deduce the standard electrode potential for the following half-reaction.
Tl3+(aq) + 2e– Tl+(aq)
(ii) Write an equation for the spontaneous cell reaction.

Hi everyone i did the Q did it well - apart from spontaneous reaction i got 2fe3+ + Tl3+ ====) 2Fe2+ + Tl+

This was by using the anti-clockwise rule = however - the real answer for the Q was

Tl3+ + 2 Fe2+ ===) 2Fe3+ + T1+

Need an explanation why thanks!

Forget the anticlockwise "rule". Examiners can throw in a spanner by writing the list in a different order.

Spontaneous reaction requires that E(reduced half-equation) - E(oxidised half-equation) = positive value

Mnemonic E = E(red-ox)
Reply 2
Yeah I realised the cycle works - you just have to right them both as reduction equations

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by charco
Forget the anticlockwise "rule". Examiners can throw in a spanner by writing the list in a different order.

Spontaneous reaction requires that E(reduced half-equation) - E(oxidised half-equation) = positive value

Mnemonic E = E(red-ox)

i think there some information is missing there
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by tinashe dongo

No, there isn't ...
Reply 5
Original post by tinashe dongo

The equation you get using anti clockwise rule is correct - but you need to remember to right the more negative e cell on top and less negative on bottom and both as reduction reactions so species at non pointy end of arrow will react to give the species at pointy end

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest