The Student Room Group

Further maths vocationally (another year at Sixth form)

I'm unsure as to whether I should take FM and try to sit it in one year as I'm already doing maths (predicted A*-A) and FM was one of my original options however my sixth form didn't allow me to take it in year 12.

I really enjoy maths and have since KS3 . I'm currently in year 13 (& predicted AB+ 2D* or higher ) so this would potentially see me holding off going to uni until next year. I really think I could do well in it though and it's been offered to me now as my grades have improved I just don't know what I should do though :frown: .

I really wanted to do maths at KCL/UCL too which wasn't an option for me ( that still annoys me) and FM even as an AS could allow me to realistically apply to better uni's as the BTECs held me back on applying to the top uni's. Any advice would be truly appreciated
I'd also consider STEP.
Original post by xs4
I'm unsure as to whether I should take FM and try to sit it in one year as I'm already doing maths (predicted A*-A) and FM was one of my original options however my sixth form didn't allow me to take it in year 12.

I really enjoy maths and have since KS3 . I'm currently in year 13 (& predicted AB+ 2D* or higher ) so this would potentially see me holding off going to uni until next year. I really think I could do well in it though and it's been offered to me now as my grades have improved I just don't know what I should do though :frown: .

I really wanted to do maths at KCL/UCL too which wasn't an option for me ( that still annoys me) and FM even as an AS could allow me to realistically apply to better uni's as the BTECs held me back on applying to the top uni's. Any advice would be truly appreciated
I'd also consider STEP.

Yes, if you want to do Maths at one of the top unis then FM is a must, and you may or may not have to do STEP too.

If you have to self teach, I would recommend taking a lot of stats modules, as they are fairly straightforward/easy to self teach.
I did this in Year 13 and I found that doing Further Maths helped me to get an offer from Bath for maths, and avoid doing step (as the offer was to either do Further Maths or do STEP, pretty much) and it's just useful for improving your knowledge/mathematical ability and should get you to where you want to go.
Reply 2
Original post by SeanFM
Yes, if you want to do Maths at one of the top unis then FM is a must, and you may or may not have to do STEP too.

If you have to self teach, I would recommend taking a lot of stats modules, as they are fairly straightforward/easy to self teach.
I did this in Year 13 and I found that doing Further Maths helped me to get an offer from Bath for maths, and avoid doing step (as the offer was to either do Further Maths or do STEP, pretty much) and it's just useful for improving your knowledge/mathematical ability and should get you to where you want to go.

I'll probably be taught but i'd teach myself as i wanted to do it all in 1 year. Did you do it as an AS? , (congrats on a brilliant offer too :smile: ) .
Thank you ever so much for the advice :biggrin:
Original post by xs4
I'll probably be taught but i'd teach myself as i wanted to do it all in 1 year. Did you do it as an AS? , (congrats on a brilliant offer too :smile: ) .
Thank you ever so much for the advice :biggrin:

Thanks :hat2: I did the AS and A2 in one year. If I did just the AS I would have needed to sit STEP for my offer :tongue:
Reply 4
Original post by SeanFM
Thanks :hat2: I did the AS and A2 in one year. If I did just the AS I would have needed to sit STEP for my offer :tongue:

That's inspirational stuff right there :O & ah okay (that makes a lot of sense now that i think about it) . Thanks again for your help :smile:
Original post by xs4
That's inspirational stuff right there :O & ah okay (that makes a lot of sense now that i think about it) . Thanks again for your help :smile:

No worries :hat2: best of luck with everything :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest