The Student Room Group

Can i do core maths in year 13

My gcse maths was not great and the courses im applying for require a gradein maths i dont have however the gcse requirement is not needed if i do core maths. Can i do it in yr 13 and have it form apart of my offer.
Original post by yupcabra23
My gcse maths was not great and the courses im applying for require a gradein maths i dont have however the gcse requirement is not needed if i do core maths. Can i do it in yr 13 and have it form apart of my offer.

Let me get this right.

You are saying that you dont have a grade 6 in gcse maths (6 is normally required for A level maths). You want to do a course at uni or sixth form which requires maths gcse/A level?

Anyways, I would recommend you to do core maths if not A level maths as it definitely forms part for some unis (eg Economics at Aston ) and many more. Do as much maths as you can including core maths and you will not regret it.

For further information, it is best to contact your sixth form and discuss with them in a meeting as to what you wanna do at uni and what is the process of core maths?

I think you can take core maths in either year 12 or year 13.

All the Best!
Reply 2
Original post by Shubham9548
Let me get this right.

You are saying that you dont have a grade 6 in gcse maths (6 is normally required for A level maths). You want to do a course at uni or sixth form which requires maths gcse/A level?

Anyways, I would recommend you to do core maths if not A level maths as it definitely forms part for some unis (eg Economics at Aston ) and many more. Do as much maths as you can including core maths and you will not regret it.

For further information, it is best to contact your sixth form and discuss with them in a meeting as to what you wanna do at uni and what is the process of core maths?

I think you can take core maths in either year 12 or year 13.

All the Best!

Specifically Accounting and management at bath, which they require a 6 (i have grade 5), but it wont be a requirement if a study core maths but they dont specify what grade is needed.

And is core maths content heavy? as im worried it might affect my other a levels as i go into yr 13
(edited 8 months ago)
Ive heard core maths is not so much content heavy but u do really need to have the basics down really well beforehand so if u have any problems at all id advise either working on them before going into year 13 or picking another a levels that u might do better at however as ur thinking of doing accounting it might be helpful to do it
Original post by yupcabra23
Specifically Accounting and management at bath, which they require a 6 (i have grade 5), but it wont be a requirement if a study core maths but they dont specify what grade is needed.

And is core maths content heavy? as im worried it might affect my other a levels as i go into yr 13

Yes you are right.

I just checked they have specified that they need a grade B in core maths. They have written this under their A level alternate offer AAB. Well... Core maths is not as content heavy as A level maths for sure.

However, you do need it for your degree dont you?
So, just work hard a little bit more if you want to coz its just 2 years and you havent got any other option apart from looking at different uni.

Anyways, let me know what you decide
Reply 6
Original post by Shubham9548
Yes you are right.

I just checked they have specified that they need a grade B in core maths. They have written this under their A level alternate offer AAB. Well... Core maths is not as content heavy as A level maths for sure.

However, you do need it for your degree dont you?
So, just work hard a little bit more if you want to coz its just 2 years and you havent got any other option apart from looking at different uni.

Anyways, let me know what you decide

yea I'm definitely going to do core math's if my sixth form lets me, and if they " specified that they need a grade B in core math's" does that mean I need to achieve it before I apply, so sit the exam in November or can I sit it with my A levels so that any offers I get will be conditional on the results of core math's and A levels. thx again
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest