The Student Room Group

OCR GCSE Classical Greek

Scroll to see replies

I got resembling fire for that one too, for Q23 I think you had to identify two features of language which make the bit about giving birth by cutting the thigh open more interesting? I'm not sure but I think its that...
Oh yeah, I remember saying something about spoof aetiology and leaving things to the end of the sentence? Something along those lines anyway...
That's the one. I put about the wordplay of 'belly of the calf', but couldn't think of another point and had to get onto the 8 marker quickly. Is it terrible that I don't know what 'aetiology' even means? :-/
Original post by Nelliebelly
belly of the calf

I mean 'belly of the LEG'! Soz!
Of course it's not terrible! My second point was very weak and I highly doubt I'll get a mark for it. I didn't think of using paranomasia :smile: that's an excellent point!
Thanks! :smile: My teacher told me about all the different puns, some of them are quite good, for instance 'kometes' means 'comet' and 'long hair' so the people on comets admire long hair. That one did make me chuckle :biggrin:
How is everyone feeling about the Iliad?

I'm hoping it'll go okay but slightly nervous about the ten-marker (as I know the translation off-by-heart, but still don't really get what's going on half the time).

Also, it's been about two months since I practiced language, so...better get on with that.
I'm so scared for the language exams too :frown: I basically know zero language so I have to learn it all this week
Original post by helenh567
I'm so scared for the language exams too :frown: I basically know zero language so I have to learn it all this week

Don't worry - I'm sure it will go okay :smile: Let me know if you're confused on anything!
I'm scared about the language too. It's learning the vocab that is the real problem for me, namely the verbs. They just don't seem to get into my head! But I'm studying hard and I hope I'll know them all by next Friday :smile:
Original post by Nelliebelly
I'm scared about the language too. It's learning the vocab that is the real problem for me, namely the verbs. They just don't seem to get into my head! But I'm studying hard and I hope I'll know them all by next Friday :smile:

I'm sure you'll do great :smile: there are some good quizlets that you can use to practice on if you find that helpful!
Reply 31
Is anyone else doing the Sources paper on the 21st? :redface:
Original post by metellaest
I'm sure you'll do great :smile: there are some good quizlets that you can use to practice on if you find that helpful!

That sounds cool! Where can I find them?
I am! I'm actually quite scared because I only see my teacher for 30 minutes a week so I have no exam techniques :frown:
I just thought I'd share with you guys my (probably cr*p) exam technique for translations.
I go through the Greek passage, writing the appropriate English word above the Greek, so it might look like this:
The King Loose The Athenians
O BASILEUS LUEI TOUS ATHENAIOUS.
(I don't have a Greek keyboard on my iPad but you folks know what I mean)
And then I do all the grammar underneath, so it would look like this:
The King Loose The Athenians
O BASILEUS LUEI TOUS ATHENAIOUS.
Masc Masc Pr. Masc Masc
Nom Nom Act. Acc Acc
Sing Sing 3rd Plur Plur
Sing
And lastly I translate it into good English, thus:
The King looses the Athenians.
Best of luck with the Iliad (or any other text) tomorrow everyone!!
How did people find it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
:frown: I thought it was kind of hard, but admittedly I didn't know the translation that well, and I find Hephaestus' speech difficult to understand... What did people put for the 8 marker, and the middle questions between the 8 and 10 markers? I felt there were a lot more 4-mark questions than past papers...

It felt really focused on the stylistic analysis, and how the text reinforces things, like making Zeus important, and there wasn't a lot on the actual story, I felt - the polar opposite of the Herodotus!
Hi there -

Hephaestus' speech is quite tricky! I though the bit about why Zeus is powerful was a bit odd - I wasn't sure whether they wanted style or content or both...

But I was relieved about the translation and the ten marker!

I'm slightly concerned I didn't say enough for the 8-marker though...

I'm sure you did fine :smile: best to focus on language now!
Thanks. I answered all the questions, and thought my essays were well developed. I was only concerned because there were fewer questions that I just knew, I had to make a few guesses... hopefully I will get a few marks for them anyway.

Yep... language :frown: Memrise is great for vocab I find, but my grammar is really terrible (unlike Latin, where I can tell you every ending ever :biggrin:). I guess I'll work on both, but I really want to work on my endings... That seems to be the difference between A and A* for me. How are you finding language?

Also, you need to make four points for the 8 marker, ideally 5 for a safety net, but I've got full marks with less before... It's all about how well developed they are, I think.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending