The Student Room Group

OCR Computer Science 08/06/16

Scroll to see replies

out of sheer curiosity, are any of you doing computer science or something as an A-Level?
Reply 101
Original post by TrumpIsFancy
yeah but it should remain close though right? like it went down by 4 marks in 2015. however, in 2011, the grade boundaries were like 72/80 which is significantly different. something like that shouldn't happen right?

I think the grade boundaries were only high in 2011 because there were very few candidates entered(most likely from private schools). As the number of candidates for computing is substantially increasing every year, the grade boundaries should stay around 60 for and A*.
Original post by Blueee29
out of sheer curiosity, are any of you doing computer science or something as an A-Level?

Yh I am. :smile:
Original post by Cicada3301
Sure.

I'll put the answers I can remember and hopefully you can put it to the questions... I can't remember the questions and the order.

Idea that Character set is characters represented by binary digits (bits) understood by computer

Idea that unicode can hold more characters due to being 16 bit, whereas ASCII can only represent a maximum of 255 characters in 8 bit binary.

Lauren's Q) - Ideas about Policies (Eg. Acceptable use), Abuse reports, screening and validation, etc.

Idea that Dual Core has twice as many cores so can process more instructions and execute them faster leading to better performance.

PC Spec 6 market) Ideas about better CPU, more instructions executed, more performance... Better HDD, more virtual memory and if it's SSD has better R/w time, so better performance... Better GFX, can process more data from cpu into pixels, etc, better performance... More cache more freq. used data can be held and not wrote over.

ROM VS RAM... Ram - Volatile and Rom non volatile... AND ... Ram re-writable but Rom is pre-loaded at manurfacture.

Binary, first one.... 0100 for "4" and 1010 for "A"....

Sequence for order code ran in....

Remind me of questions.

LAN VS WAN:

WAN over wider area, LAN over short local area.
WAN slower as has more data collisions and encounters more data but LAN doesn't.

Supermarker Q)
Security, although I crossed it out...
Accessability.

Database Q)

Record Example: Age.

ideas about being in other table as foreign key.

Correct data types and explination.

Could you go into more detail on the supermarket question since I forgot what it was?
Original post by PCB
I think the grade boundaries were only high in 2011 because there were very few candidates entered(most likely from private schools). As the number of candidates for computing is substantially increasing every year, the grade boundaries should stay around 60 for and A*.

ohhh yess. so I guess it should remain close to 60 like 2014 and 2015? I was really scared that it would go as high as 72 or something
Original post by mohammedf2606
Yh I am. :smile:

how do you think you did in this exam? im not, thankfully! doing english lit, maths, law and psych :smile:
Reply 106
what did you get for your coursework?
Original post by skyawesome
Could you go into more detail on the supermarket question since I forgot what it was?

OCR supermarkets has servers and the checkout computers as clients. what are the benefits of using a client-server network as opposed to a peer-to-peer network? 4 marks
Reply 108
What did you get for your coursework?
Original post by zeldor711
Found out I only need about 94 ums on that exam (~48/80) for an A* overall! So relieved!
OCR supermarkets has servers and the checkout computers as clients. what are the benefits of using a client-server network as opposed to a peer-to-peer network? 4 marks

If that was the only client server vs peer-peer network question then I'm pretty sure i did really well
Thanks!
Original post by skyawesome

Client-server is comparatively more secure than peer-to-peer as users need passwords to access the network.
Reply 111
A452 - 40
a453 - 42
Original post by Blueee29
how do you think you did in this exam? im not, thankfully! doing english lit, maths, law and psych :smile:

I think I got something around 70 marks. I need something high like that or else I can't get an A* overall.
Original post by AA11AAA
What did you get for your coursework?

88/90 best in my class
Original post by mohammedf2606
Client-server is comparatively more secure than peer-to-peer as users need passwords to access the network.

i wrote:

1) all the data is stored centrally so if the computers fail, the customers data won't be lost, unlike a peer-to-peer network
2) the client computers can seamlessly be replaced as the server containing all the data can easily be connected to the new computers so the customers' data isn't made vulnerable

how many marks out of 4 would that give me?
i wrote:

1) all the data is stored centrally so if the computers fail, the customers data won't be lost, unlike a peer-to-peer network
2) the client computers can seamlessly be replaced as the server containing all the data can easily be connected to the new computers so the customers' data isn't made vulnerable

how many marks out of 4 would that give me?

I'd give you 4 marks :smile: :smile:
Reply 116
Do you know what you need to get in the exam for A* overall
Original post by PCB
A452 - 40
a453 - 42
Reply 117
what do you reckon you need to get if you get 82/90 in the coursework?
Original post by zeldor711
88/90 best in my class
guys do u wanna join this chat room (no registration or anything) and discuss the exam? it's much faster and easier

https://tlk.io/computing
Original post by AA11AAA
Do you know what you need to get in the exam for A* overall

Use this to find out what you need using last year's grade boundaries.

http://www.ocr.org.uk/i-want-to/convert-raw-marks-to-ums/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending