The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Mathematics MPC3 Core 3 - Wednesday 15th June 2016 [Official Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tanyapotter
In the C3 and C4 exams, do they tell you which substitution to use in integration?

In C3, the subsitution is most of the time given to you and you are told to use substitution to solve the integral. In C4, they generally give you an integral and just ask you to solve it - you then have to decide whether to use substitution, parts, partial fractions or standard integrals etc.
Original post by Mowerharvey
Yep. Still a bit confused about how to get an A* overall though

A* overall requires a 90% average over C3 and C4, so 180 UMS is required combined from C3 and C4, for example 90 in C3, 90 in C4, 100 in C3, 80 in C4 and so on. You also need to have acheived an A grade overall, so 480/600 UMS at least from all 6 maths exams.
Any hard questions anyone got?
Reply 163
Original post by Guls
anyone else aiming for an A*?

Yes :smile:
Do you need to know how to use sin(A+B) + sin(A-B) = 2sinAcosB
Prove:

and

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 166
Original post by fpmaniac
Prove:

and

Nice question. :smile:

13434228_1253859727958338_1438946910_n.jpg
Original post by Dzinq
Nice question. :smile:

13434228_1253859727958338_1438946910_n.jpg

Oh I see it now :biggrin: Thanks. Hopefully something that hard wont come up
Has anybody done the Jan 11 paper?
If so, on the very last question, how are you supposed to simplify the fraction?
I got a horrible fraction with 6 digits in the numerator and denominator and my calculator wouldn't simplify it.
It ended up being an equivalent fraction to the one in the mark scheme, but if that happened in the actual exam it would be very off putting and seem wrong.
Thanks for any help.
(My fraction was 377784/147456 and the mark scheme's was 5247/2048).
Reply 169
Original post by joebush
If so, on the very last question, how are you supposed to simplify the fraction?
I got a horrible fraction with 6 digits in the numerator and denominator and my calculator wouldn't simplify it.
It ended up being an equivalent fraction to the one in the mark scheme, but if that happened in the actual exam it would be very off putting and seem wrong.
Thanks for any help.

If they're the equivalent I'm 99% sure they'd still give you the marks. I had the same issue on this paper, except my answer was 15741/6144 (which cancels down to the required answer). Not sure why my calculator didn't cancel.
Original post by joebush
Thanks for any help.

I always divide the numerator and denominator by 2 or 3 etc, sepreately, if they're both very large numbers
can anyone show me this as a proof question (i.e. not just using the formula booklet)?? thanks

differentiate:
y= 2arctan3x
Original post by Dzinq
If they're the equivalent I'm 99% sure they'd still give you the marks. I had the same issue on this paper, except my answer was 15741/6144 (which cancels down to the required answer). Not sure why my calculator didn't cancel.

I got that too. It was a very nice paper

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 173
Original post by harv221
can anyone show me this as a proof question (i.e. not just using the formula booklet)?? thanks

differentiate:
y= 2arctan3x

image.jpg

Pretty sure that's right
√(1+sin2x) dx
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Fudge2
image.jpg

Pretty sure that's right

thanks so much, wouldn't have known how to get from sec to x so thanks!
What are your plans for tomorrow? I'm going to do the last 2 papers that I haven't done: Jan and June 2013

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Yo12345
What are your plans for tomorrow? I'm going to do the last 2 papers that I haven't done: Jan and June 2013

Posted from TSR Mobile

Done pretty much every past paper and feeling pretty confident so I think I'm going to do the 3/4 most recent papers and then just have an easy night ahead of the exam

Posted from TSR Mobile
Has anyone got C1 or C2 paper so I can see the layout changes?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey - I was just wondering if anyone knew whether the fx9860GII is permitted to use?
Thanks 😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending